movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:06 am

I know opinion is subjective and all, but.. No.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:28 am

Applecore wrote:I know opinion is subjective and all, but.. No.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:49 am

Have you seen any other Tarrantino films?

Also, C S Lee played two different characters in the film.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:47 am

Ensorcelled wrote:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 am

Jobdone wrote:
Ensorcelled wrote:

Cthulhu
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Cthulhu » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:12 am

Come on mate, you have to give me more of a reason for your disagreement than "no".

Luke_X wrote:Have you seen any other Tarrantino films?

I have, i've enjoyed a couple over the years (reservoir dogs, machete, from dusk till dawn, the rock) but this film frankly just felt like a huge waste of time and certainly not even close to the masterpiece everyone keeps suggesting it is.

Although i'd quite like to hear some folks attempt to justify their own opinions on the film.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Delightful-Jim wrote:Rule #1 of the bloodstock forums : If it exists, someone here will despise it.

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:07 am

:?

If it is someones version of something it doesn't mean it's necessarily going to borrow heavily from an original.

It's a touchy subject as with a direct remake it'll get slated for being a carbon copy of the original and if it deviates too far.

Anyways don't you think it possible that given your stated intention of seeing a new spaghetti western what it may have clouded your view of the film in a standalone right?

Whilst not an original story (See those home movie channels showing a 3 hour film called Django from decades ago when this was in cinemas), view it as a standalone film.

It's Tarrantino, he fills his films with controversial elements. That aside given the time setting and whole basic premise of the film, the word nigger was always going to be used en mass. That is what black people were known as at the time the film is set. It is a film about black slaves in the American south during a time when they were commonly known as niggers. The film would have suffered if it had sugar coated the word.

Samuel L Jacksons character was a long serving "house nigger". He'd worked his way into the home and was brainwashed into serving his master, driven by a feeling that it was the best way he could have a life more than that of a common slave.

He's the opposite of Django.

Django having a tunnel vision for saving his wife and attaining both of their freedom was the point of the film! A showcase in human perseverance to be with their loved one no matter the obstacles.

Di Caprio was great in the role he had. A villainous tyrant whom played the political game to come off as "respectable" to his white slave trading peers. Giving off a persona he wanted people to view of him whilst under the surface his ruthless bastard nature bubbled away often coming to the fore.

I agree with you on the random KKK scene. Just seemed bizarre.

As with most Tarrantino films, the action is well OTT but that's partly what makes it enjoyable and humourous to a certain extent.

I think conversely to yourself that the film did brilliantly as getting the balance right between serious film with comedic elements.

The scene where Django can pick his own clothes for the first time then in the next scene is brazenly riding on a horse in a garish bright blue suit with ridiculous fluffy shirt was a standout funny moment many people bring up.

A shame you didn't enjoy it but to say it cheated you out of a few hours of your life and only giving it 3 out of 10 is madness.

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:15 am

Cthulhu wrote:

Come on mate, you have to give me more of a reason for your disagreement than "no".

I have, i've enjoyed a couple over the years (reservoir dogs, machete, from dusk till dawn, the rock) but this film frankly just felt like a huge waste of time and certainly not even close to the masterpiece everyone keeps suggesting it is.

Although i'd quite like to hear some folks attempt to justify their own opinions on the film.

I'm not gonna say anything other than out of the Tarantino films you say you enjoyed only one of them is a Tarantino film(in so much that he directed it).

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:25 am

Cthulhu wrote:

You've seen Pulp Fiction too haven't you? That's his best attempt I think. Saying Django was a bit rediculous is a bit like saying Immortal shout too much - it's kind of what they do.

Gravity was good if you can ignore the fact that physics play no part in it... How the hell does one station get completely annihilated and another one that is very, very close by - from the looks of it - not? Why on earth would she survive each station getting blown up? And how the hell do you manage to control a jetpack to save a woman floating out into space? That must be like trying to catch a pin from 3 yards away with a stick.

Watched My Neighbor Totoro (GOD DAMN AMERICAN SPELLINGS COULDN'T FIND THIS SHIT FOR AGES)

Upbeat and light hearted with loads of loveable characters and a strange sense of weirdness. If you're a big homo like me and like Pixar films a little too much then give this one a watch. Has an awesome song at the end too!
♪♫ Totoro! To-tor-o! ♪♫

Just Do It - Don't do it, ever -10/10
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

Cthulhu
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Cthulhu » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:42 am

mathewxentrix88 wrote:I'm not gonna say anything other than out of the Tarantino films you say you enjoyed only one of them is a Tarantino film(in so much that he directed it).

You might well be right, i actually don't pay too much attention to directors and that was just from a glance at his Wiki filmography.

skull-wart wrote:You've seen Pulp Fiction too haven't you? That's his best attempt I think. Saying Django was a bit rediculous is a bit like saying Immortal shout too much - it's kind of what they do.

Gravity was good if you can ignore the fact that physics play no part in it... How the hell does one station get completely annihilated and another one that is very, very close by - from the looks of it - not? Why on earth would she survive each station getting blown up? And how the hell do you manage to control a jetpack to save a woman floating out into space? That must be like trying to catch a pin from 3 yards away with a stick.

I haven't seen Gravity before but i have seen Pulp Fiction which again i thought was really overrated when i saw it and i didn't really "get it" but clearly a lot of people did. Thing is with these films my opinion is not a popular one so law of averages suggests they are good films in some level but it's evidently a level i don't really identify with whatsoever.

See ridiculousness in films doesn't really bother me that much like i said above i enjoyed Machete which is a ludicrously over the top and ridiculous movie but all the better for it. What annoyed me was the fact that in Django, Tarantino appears to be trying to make a political and serious stance on the nature and evils of slavery by showing the whipping, the runaway, the uses of the slaves...all whilst making things ridiculous at the same time and i kinda found the two things didn't work together for me and it seemed less like Immortal doing shoutty music as much as Immortal doing Shoutty music and then having a country banjo section for the choruses.

But like i said and will likely have to repeat because i know a lot of folks are fanatics of this guys work this is just my opinion on it all.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Delightful-Jim wrote:Rule #1 of the bloodstock forums : If it exists, someone here will despise it.

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Reservoir Dogs 5/5
Pulp Fiction 4/5
Jackie Brown 4/5
Kill Bill vol 1 5/5
Kill Bill vol 2 4/5
Death Proof 1/5
Inglourious Basterds 4/5
Django Unchained 4/5
I haven't included his directorial contributions to Four Rooms or Sin City.
I like most of his stuff although his trademark dialogue seems a bit forced to me(especially in Pulp Fiction-which i reckon is overrated)-although to be fair when he didn't bother with the snappy wordplay the result was dire (Death Proof).

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:10 pm

I'm not as much of fan as other people, from the ones I've seen I'd rate his as:

Pulp Fiction 5/5
Reservoir Dogs 4/5
Django 4/5
Kill Bill(s) 2/5
Inglorious Bastards 1/5

Can't think of any other I've seen.

I think it'd be pretty hard to make a film set in the Southern US about black slavery and make it lighthearted though? I don't think it tries to be all that serious, I don't think it was anywhere near as serious as 12 Years A Slave (decent film 7/10, dragged on a bit) - I mean there are jokes about the racism throughout so I think the overall tone is meant to be a bit daft.
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:04 pm

Reservoir Dogs - 5/5
Pulp Fiction - 5/5
Jackie Brown - 3/5
Kill Bill vol 1 - 5/5
Kill Bill vol 2 - 4/5
Death Proof - 2/5 (Grindhouse version 3/5)
Inglourious Basterds 4/5
Django Unchained 4/5

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:09 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Reservoir Dogs - 5/5
Pulp Fiction - 5/5
Jackie Brown - 3/5
Kill Bill vol 1 - 5/5
Kill Bill vol 2 - 4/5
Death Proof - 2/5 (Grindhouse version 3/5)
Inglourious Basterds 4/5
Django Unchained 4/5

Reservoir Dogs - 5/5
Pulp Fiction - 5/5
Jackie Brown - 4/5
Kill Bill vol 1 - 3/5
Kill Bill vol 2 - 2/5
Death Proof - 1/5
Inglourious Basterds 3/5
Django Unchained STILL NOT SEEN D:

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather