movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Re: movies

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:17 am

Yeah, District 9 was fantastic. Elysium ended up a bit of a mess, though wasn't awful by any means.

I wonder if this means Sharlto Copley will be a xenomorph? :P

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:39 am

Elysium was entertaining enough on first viewing, but afterwards, the more I thought about specific bits, the more it annoyed me. District 9 is one of my favourite films of the last 10 years.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:02 am

Sharlto Copley to play Ripley.
A fooking prawn to play the xenomorph.
Matt Damon to play the scenery.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:09 pm

I loved Elysium. Yes it wasn't original like District 9 but it was his first movie with 'Hollywood money and actor's'. So it wasn't perfect but Chappie looks great and I think he will be great for Aliens. He has a great eye for visual effects and his directing style is really great. I think he is perfect for the job.

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:52 am

I really liked District 9. I don't get why people hate it :|

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:40 am

I very much understood the style of Elysium and it didn't feel a million miles away from District 9 in terms of scenery, photography, etc. The only flaw I found was that the plot didn't quite make enough sense for me. Once I see Chappie I'll likely re-watch Elysium to really make my mind up about it, as I only saw it the once and that was at the cinema.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:30 am

Elysium was an exceptionally dull film wrapped in exceptionally pretty special effects.
I lost interest halfway through, and nearly fell asleep before the end.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:47 am

I thought it had a great, subtle message if you're a 16 year old who just found out about wealth disparity.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Potato-Jim wrote:I really liked District 9. I don't get why people hate it :|

I didn't realise that people did? It generally met with overwhelmingly positive reviews and feedback. Elysium was pretty ropey though.

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:09 pm

Jobdone wrote:I thought it had a great, subtle message if you're a 16 year old who just found out about wealth disparity.

Thats probably why. Most people expect the same thing from the new Alien. :lol:

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:57 pm

50 Shades of Grey is hilarious. A must see, because it has a script that could've been written by Tommy Wiseau.

"What's a butt plug?"

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:29 am

"YOU ARE TEARING (mybutthole) APART CHRISTIAN"

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Not sure I wish to subject myself to the second helping of Sharknado.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:12 am

The Room

You've probably seen the clips and highlight reels by now ("YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA!"), but have you actually sat down and watched The Room in its unadulterated glory? Well, if you've got any sense, no. However, I am without any such sense, and after years of procrastination, curiosity finally got the better of me.
Well, you know what they say about curiosity...

The main thing about The Room is that it isn't just a shit film. I mean, it is, but much like Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space, it actually manages to transcend every terrible level of shitness that it exists upon and somehow becomes enjoyable. Once the initial (and completely inescapable) "Oh my God, the ACTING!" reaction has faded slightly, the film allows you to sit back and enjoy it in a totally different way. And multiple viewings make the whole thing even better.

The gaffes, both subtle and obvious, are relentless. For example, at one point, Johnny's best friend Mark says to Lisa, "I mean... the candles? The music? What's going on here?"
THERE ARE NO CANDLES. THERE IS NO MUSIC.
In another scene, Lisa's mother mentions she has breast cancer in much the same way someone would say they had just bought a can of dog food from the supermarket. The use of green screens for the roof scenes is confusing, a second sex scene is performed using the exact same footage from the first, and you can easily lose count of the amount of times the words "Johnny", "Lisa", "Mark", "future husband", "future wife", "Oh, hai", and "best friend" are mentioned in the script.

I could happily go on forever about the film's many, many hilarious mistakes but it's best if you just watch this absolute train wreck of a film yourself and remember this one important fact - director, producer and "star", Tommy Wiseau was 100% serious about the project. This is not a comedy. This is not a bit of light entertainment. THIS IS ABOUT COMPLEX HUMAN EMOTIONS AND SERIOUS ISSUES. There is no room for self-deprecation or tongue-in-cheek humour here.
Also, for a moment, just dwell on the fact that it took him over thirty takes to say the now classic "It's not true! I did not hit her! It's bullshit! I did not. Oh, hai, Mark!" line.
And had to use cue cards for it.

There's actually a game (or rather a set of rules/guidelines) people follow when they go to the cinema to watch The Room, and it's something I REALLY have to take part in at some point.
For example:
Saying “Hi” to Tommy when he appears to look down at the corner of the screen during the party scene. This entails running down to the screen and hanging out toward the bottom-right-hand corner and then shouting as his eyes acknowledge you.

Amazing stuff.

10/10 or 0/10.
Or probably both.

Glad to see Boyhood got what it deserved at The Oscars.
Chuffed to fuckery to see JK Simmons win Best Supporting Actor for Whiplash, and happy for Redmayne winning Best Actor even though I preferred Keaton and Crumblesnatch.
Hans Zimmer really should have won Best Score for Interstellar though.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:37 am

Prince Charles Cinema in London does regular screenings of The Room, occasionally Tommy Wiseau attends, does a meet and greet with the fans and hosts a Q&A. Me and a few friends went a couple of years ago and Greg Sestero (Mark) was there too. Tommy even tried to direct our group photo, telling us all where to stand, and freaked my friend Lola out by leaning to her as she left and said "you look beautiful, darling".
During the show, you quote along, people throw American footballs to each other and the screen is completely obscured whenever the spoon picture is in frame as everyone throws plastic spoons.
Honestly one of the best nights out ever. Also, as I said on Facebook, definitely look up Greg Sestero's book "The Disaster Artist", because it just adds a whole new level of awesome, terrifying, hilarious badness to the film.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock