movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: movies

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Watched New Zealand film Housebound last night. Don't want to say much about it other than watch it. It's brilliant. Funny, scary, gory, and you're never quite sure which direction it's heading in.
Basically, a petty criminal is sentenced to 8 months house arrest at her mother's house, but spooky things start happening as soon as she moves back in.
Some of the acting is a bit ropey but the film's that good it really doesn't matter.
8.5/10

Yeah-saw that at Frightfest last year-bit of a mish-mash of ideas but pretty smart.My favourite film of that day was "Late Phases" however-best werewolf film since the 80's.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:38 am

mathewxentrix88 wrote:Yeah-saw that at Frightfest last year-bit of a mish-mash of ideas but pretty smart.My favourite film of that day was "Late Phases" however-best werewolf film since the 80's.

Watch Bad Moon.
One of the most underrated werewolf films ever.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:09 am

WolfCop was fun, if you don't mind your werewolf movies completely stupid.

Watched Housebound last night after reading Gary's review. Loved it. One of the most fun horror films I've seen in a long time.

Also just got back from seeing Kingsman: The Secret Service. Completely daft and really enjoyable film from Matthew Vaughn, directing another Mark Millar comic book (their previous work together being Kick-Ass). In fact, I'd say this movie is just as good as Kick-Ass, and arguably better than Kick-Ass 2 (which, despite dividing opinions worse than Marmite, I actually thoroughly enjoyed. I also like Marmite).
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:17 am

Darkweasel wrote:
mathewxentrix88 wrote:Yeah-saw that at Frightfest last year-bit of a mish-mash of ideas but pretty smart.My favourite film of that day was "Late Phases" however-best werewolf film since the 80's.

Watch Bad Moon.

Seen it,thought it was ok-nothing more than that.Nice and short though and at least it's watchable-unlike nearly everything else Michael Pare has ever done.

mcroper
Paster of Muppets

Postby mcroper » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:22 am

Jay and Silent Bobs super groovy cartoon movie - 7/10, it was entertaining enough and the jokes were pretty funny, just a shame the drawing style isn't to my taste

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:36 am

mathewxentrix88 wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Watch Bad Moon.

Seen it,thought it was ok-nothing more than that.Nice and short though and at least it's watchable-unlike nearly everything else Michael Pare has ever done.

It really surprised me. Especially the special effects. Was expecting cheap rubber prosthetics but got some top quality gore and transformation effects. The werewolf itself was a great design too.

That reminds me, I must watch Full Eclipse again at some point. Must be twenty years since I saw it last. All I remember is Patsy Kensit in a tight costume, Mario Van Peebles snarling a lot, and Bruce Payne being a loony.

El Cuerpo
(The Body)

Yup, it's subtitled foreign film time again, folks.
A few days ago, I was told by someone not a million miles away from this thread to just watch this without knowing anything about it. Well, I had to check on the Imdb to make sure I'd got the right film, but apart from a very basic plot outline, I managed to do just that.

Police investigating a woman's body stolen from the morgue turn to the grieving husband for help but find they don't entirely believe his story. And that's about as much as I dare say. It's also just about as much as I knew beforehand too, so you'll just have to watch the rest for yourselves.

It's a relatively slow paced film, but not once did it ever lose my full attention. It's always going somewhere, never boring, it's creepy and twisty, and the ending does not disappoint.
One of the best Spanish thrillers I've seen.
8.5/10

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:43 am

Darkweasel wrote:
mathewxentrix88 wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Watch Bad Moon.

It really surprised me. Especially the special effects. Was expecting cheap rubber prosthetics but got some top quality gore and transformation effects. The werewolf itself was a great design too.

That reminds me, I must watch Full Eclipse again at some point. Must be twenty years since I saw it last. All I remember is Patsy Kensit in a tight costume, Mario Van Peebles snarling a lot, and Bruce Payne being a loony.

El Cuerpo
(The Body)

Yup, it's subtitled foreign film time again, folks.
A few days ago, I was told by someone not a million miles away from this thread to just watch this without knowing anything about it. Well, I had to check on the Imdb to make sure I'd got the right film, but apart from a very basic plot outline, I managed to do just that.

Police investigating a woman's body stolen from the morgue turn to the grieving husband for help but find they don't entirely believe his story. And that's about as much as I dare say. It's also just about as much as I knew beforehand too, so you'll just have to watch the rest for yourselves.

It's a relatively slow paced film, but not once did it ever lose my full attention. It's always going somewhere, never boring, it's creepy and twisty, and the ending does not disappoint.
One of the best Spanish thrillers I've seen.
8.5/10

Bit of an obvious one probably, but have you seen The Skin I Live In? If you haven't, you should.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:50 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^(Darkweasel)
Glad you liked it mate!-for some reason not many people seem to know about that one.I think i've got Full Eclipse on a VHS timecode in the garage somewhere-i may have to dig it out.Bruce Payne is great-i'm hankering for a bluray edition of Necronomicon but to no avail...yet!!!
EDIT-(Keera-envenomed)yep i have seen The Skin I Live In-i really liked it-the "tiger dude" is the main thing i remember from it-i must watch it again.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:16 am

I never got round to The Skin I Live In tbh. I had it recorded from Sky at one point but I think the kids accidentally deleted it.
Will get on that over the weekend.

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 am

Darkweasel wrote:I never got round to The Skin I Live In tbh. I had it recorded from Sky at one point but I think the kids accidentally deleted it.
Will get on that over the weekend.

Too busy watching films about mutated sharks i suppose. :yes:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:04 pm

I'm enjoying that letterboxd site that Neil posted a while back, I've taken to rating and reviewing every film I see this year on it in the diary section. Whether I've seen the film before or not. Always found film reviews quite difficult to do so hopefully there'll be some improvement as the months pass by!

http://letterboxd.com/soze/films/diary/

Ratings wise I've seen

The Hobbit 3: ** 1/2
Birdman *****
Zombeavers **
The Theory of Everything *** 1/2
Whiplash *****
The Pit and the Pendulum ***
The Apartment *****
Amelie *** 1/2
Iron Man 2 *** 1/2
Nekromantik 1/2
Casablanca *****
In the Name of the Father *****

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:30 pm

I'm quite enjoying reading you're reviews, a lot better structured and more eloquently put than mine have been recently haha.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

cthulhu
Consort of the Beast

Postby cthulhu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Soze wrote:Zombeavers **

Zomb...eavers? Where you really expecting much going in? :lol: :lol:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:00 pm

Soze wrote:In the Name of the Father *****

I was very nearly in that film. :lol:

They were looking for extras who had longhair for some of the scenes as it was set in the early 1970s. It was for the courtroom scene which was filmed in St Georges Hall in Liverpool. Didn't bother in the end, but you can see one of my mates dead clearly.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:30 pm

Cloud Atlas

Admittedly a bit delayed with this one, but finally got around to it.

I get what it wants to do, the story between time yadda yadda. However what you end up with a jumbled mess of characters you can't really connect to, fleeting around timelines and characters without every really letting you settle. Still, beautifully filmed, the makeup thing was ambitious and works in places. It's ultimately a very interesting story, but wasn't suited for a movie.

Will probably read the book.

6/10