movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
clare-l
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby clare-l » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:13 pm

ugh so I need this film in my life now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZ7rWHIvgY

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:14 pm

clare-l wrote:ugh so I need this film in my life now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZ7rWHIvgY

as long as it still retains the dark edge of the original and isn't watered down so young kids can watch it too, it should be epic

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Dark edge? are we watching the same campy classic?

Also I hate how Sam Worthington can't do any accent that isn't his own. But I'll deal.

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:19 pm

clare-l wrote:Dark edge? are we watching the same campy classic?

Also I hate how Sam Worthington can't do any accent that isn't his own. But I'll deal.

the 1981 version was still quite dark in tone imo

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Oscar nominations are up: http://oscar.go.com/nominations/nominees

Have seen four of the best picture nominees, and seeing a fifth tonight. wtf at Avatar though, I can see why they'd nominate Cameron as director (he's gonna lose it to his ex-wife, that's my bet) but best picture it ain't.

Also wtf at Nine in the best supporting actress category. It was SO bad, and I didn't agree that any performances were of note.

Pleased that Up is nominated for best picture, it was really good.

Didn't think much of Invictus tbh, so miffed that it's got an actor nom.

Christoph Waltz is my personal pick for supporting actor, but I'm yet to see a couple of the films.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:37 pm

clare-l wrote:Oscar nominations are up: http://oscar.go.com/nominations/nominees

Avatar is up for Best Original Score.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
What a fucking laugh that is. It's without doubt the most unoriginal score I've ever heard, being almost entirely made up from the music of Aliens, The Abyss and Titanic.
If it wins then any faith left in the Oscars will disappear in a puff of CGI'd smoke.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:11 pm

I know everyone is expecting Avatar to win, but I reckon Hurt Locker stands a good chance of knocking it down. I haven't seen it yet as it had a very short run in our cinema, but I shall be seeing it as soon as it becomes available on PPV or rent. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and it looks superb.

Would be nice to see District 9 win something, and I agree about Chrisopher Waltz deserving the supporting actor. Looking forward to seeing Crazy Heart to judge Jeff Bridges chances...but it's about time he got one!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:22 pm

angel_of_death wrote:I know everyone is expecting Avatar to win, but I reckon Hurt Locker stands a good chance of knocking it down. I haven't seen it yet as it had a very short run in our cinema, but I shall be seeing it as soon as it becomes available on PPV or rent. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and it looks superb.

Would be nice to see District 9 win something, and I agree about Chrisopher Waltz deserving the supporting actor. Looking forward to seeing Crazy Heart to judge Jeff Bridges chances...but it's about time he got one!

Sorry, but unfortunately it doesn't matter how good the competition is, Avatar has already won the big Oscars this year before the ceremony even starts. Hollywood has to justify that $300-$500m budget somehow.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Bought the Mad Max trilogy today..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Saw Up In the Air just now. Which means I've seen half of the best picture oscar nominees now. And this one is probably my favourite, it was good and well-acted, well-scripted and left me thinking when I feared it'd go for the cheesy Hollywood ending.

I'm now trying to work out when I started liking films with George Clooney in :/

also the score from Up should win, check it out on spotify. it was lovely to listen to, charming and full of character and not totally the same as everything else the same composer's done.

yes, I'm talking to you, Hans Zimmer. please start coming up with new ideas, your music sucks. I hate going into a film and saying "oh this bit sounds just like in those other ten films"

Sewage
Consort of the Beast

Postby Sewage » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Just ordered 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'. Never seen it before but people keep telling me its good. :)

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:21 pm

clare-l wrote:Saw Up In the Air just now. Which means I've seen half of the best picture oscar nominees now. And this one is probably my favourite, it was good and well-acted, well-scripted and left me thinking when I feared it'd go for the cheesy Hollywood ending.

I'm now trying to work out when I started liking films with George Clooney in :/

also the score from Up should win, check it out on spotify. it was lovely to listen to, charming and full of character and not totally the same as everything else the same composer's done.

yes, I'm talking to you, Hans Zimmer. please start coming up with new ideas, your music sucks. I hate going into a film and saying "oh this bit sounds just like in those other ten films"

I actually really enjoyed Up in the air too, which surprised me a lot because I was expecting it to be shit.

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 pm

I didn't even hate the girl, and someone told me all excitedly that she's in Twilight. I was prepared to hate her for that alone.

Which means I have left to see:

The Blind Side
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
A Serious Man

of the oscar noms. (I like to watch them all just because)

I think I'm leaning towards An Education next, saw the trailer and didn't realise it was written by Nick Hornby.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:04 pm

clare-l wrote:I didn't even hate the girl, and someone told me all excitedly that she's in Twilight. I was prepared to hate her for that alone.

Which means I have left to see:

The Blind Side
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
A Serious Man

of the oscar noms. (I like to watch them all just because)

I think I'm leaning towards An Education next, saw the trailer and didn't realise it was written by Nick Hornby.

All the one's I haven't seen...tbh I don't think Blind Side or Precious have even been released in UK yet.

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:09 pm

I know An Education has been but have to wait until the end of the month for it in France. bahhh.