movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby MetalBeast » Wed May 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:I think i'm going to go see The Raid as part of a lads night out during the week sometime. Probably will my only trip to the pictures all year.

The Raid is really good, although some of the fight scenes get a bit "They Live".

Saw that and The Dictator on Monday. Plot-wise The Dictator is very unoriginal and storyline comes a distant second to the jokes, but the jokes made me laugh enough not to care.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

JRP1349
Powermetal Child

Postby JRP1349 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:42 am

PIRANHA 3DD
Stupid yet damn fun sequel, not as gory as the first one, but still shamelessly daft fun, with the usual required boobs and blood, and it has the Hoff in it.

IRON SKY
Awesome film with Nazis now based on the dark side of the moon, planning a full scale invasion of earth. Some funny political swipes and satire, particularly a brilliant scene in the UN where North Korea try to take credit for the Nazi's invasion, but get laughed down by the other countrys, and on a limited budget this is very impressive, just a shame this isnt getting a wider release than the one day cinema release it has received.
"You know what really grinds my gears, you America....fucccckkk you!"

ollie123w
Leather Rebel

Postby ollie123w » Thu May 24, 2012 3:07 pm

yesterday i watched the original matrix for the first time in about a decade, quality stuff.

although i don't remember reloaded or revolutions being any good i plan to watch thoughs over the next few days.

about an hour through the 2nd and it's alright

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu May 24, 2012 4:16 pm

I thought I'd work my way through the fast and furious films. I missed the first film as I remember it well.

2 fast 2 furious - where to start........what a pile of shit! Dreadful plot that only shows its face for 2 seconds and doesn't even seem to be the same story each time it surfaces when the film isn't being filled with terrible CGI cars racing around in a blurry mess. Really no wonder why Vin Diesel kept turning down the film.

Tfaf: Tokyo drift - considerably better than the second film despite having an actor who seems to suffer from extreme stuble playing a teenager. The plot is more consistent and has actual cars in it this time. However, taking in context the japanese guy dies in this film but is alive in the sequels, this becomes set way in the future which can only cause problems for the final 2 films filming soon.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu May 24, 2012 10:34 pm

ollie123w wrote:yesterday i watched the original matrix for the first time in about a decade, quality stuff.

although i don't remember reloaded or revolutions being any good i plan to watch thoughs over the next few days.

about an hour through the 2nd and it's alright

I watched them all quite recently in HD and really enjoyed them. I didnt enjoy them the first time I watched them, but I think at the time I was mesmerised by the special effects and not paying attention to the story, so it was an hour and a half of what the fuck to me.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri May 25, 2012 12:50 am

The Matrix - 9/10. Modern classic for sure.

Matrix Reloaded - 4/10. Badly rendered action sequences and pretentious twaddle.

Matrix Revolutions - 3/10. One long fight sequence with religious overtones and more pretentious twaddle.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri May 25, 2012 6:47 am

Darkweasel wrote:The Matrix - 9/10. Modern classic for sure.

Matrix Reloaded - 4/10. Badly rendered action sequences and pretentious twaddle.

Matrix Revolutions - 3/10. One long fight sequence with religious overtones and more pretentious twaddle.

Pretty much the most accurate review of those films.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri May 25, 2012 5:05 pm

Matthew Fox has been to the Christian Bale school of role preparation for the new Alex Cross film:

She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri May 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Oh, that's not right at all.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri May 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Obligatory "Back to the Island" joke.

I can't quite work out the wording.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue May 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Can someone help me out with this before I go insane!!?

From left to right it's The Thing, Predator, Alien, ??? and ET. What the hell is the 4th one? All I can think of is The Fly but I'm far from certain...

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Tue May 29, 2012 2:52 pm

District 9?

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue May 29, 2012 2:55 pm

It's either the fly or those fookin prawns from the apartheid movie.

Oh yeah, and I finally watched Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.

Aliens was amazing, Alien 3 was entertaining in it's own way, dragged on waaaaay too long at the end and suffered from dodgy editing. Alien Resurrection was fun. Had a bit of Whedonness to it. He created an interesting futuristic universe, and just didn't have the time to pad it out properly. Plus all of Ron Pearlmans lines seemed off. He randomly jumped from pyscho to comic relief. Still, fun enough. I'd seen it before, but the whole thing made a fuck load more sense having seen the others.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue May 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Looks like the "prawn". Not sure they'd include the brundle-fly on there cos that's not an alien.
Last edited by MetalBeast on Tue May 29, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue May 29, 2012 5:02 pm

It's supposed to be a homage to 80s monsters so it's definitely not District 9. Perhaps it is The Fly then...