movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
ollie123w
Leather Rebel

Re: movies

Postby ollie123w » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:12 pm

ok after some debating, i am going to watch the 2nd movie, i also have conan the barbarian, death proof and planet terror to watch. lazy sunday sorted

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:12 pm

Rcently watched:

Ides Of March - solid stuff, well acted, but not particularly cinematic and has the feel of a TV drama. 7/10
Apollo 18 - Alright, set up well, but didn't really build up to anything 6/10
Super - Blacker then Kick Ass, fairly decent 6/10
Rolling Thunder - Revenge B-flick from the 70s, apparently one of Tarantino's favourite films. Ok as far as it goes, but not quite the 'lost classic' its made out to be. 7/10
The Veteran - Low budget attempt to update Taxi Driver, with an Afghanistan vet returning home and being drawn into a web involving shifty spooks and drug dealer. Grim beginning descends into silly OTT ending 7/10
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:08 pm

a new viral video for Prometheus showing 'some' info on Weyland Industries and a small look at what sort of character Michael Fassbender will be playing.

http://mobile3.influxis.com/pm/viewer/v ... MfIx/UAzI=

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:02 pm

ollie123w wrote:Battle Royale! This film needs to be appreciated more, it's awesome

Just bought that. I've been meaning to get it for a while, but now I've got the excuse of wanting to compare it to The Hunger Games.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Saw 'We Bought a Zoo' on saturday. I thought it was great. Yes it had all the standard plot points, and it was predictable, but it was a nice warm fuzzy film.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Watched Less than Zero before. I quite liked it, and I finally found an explanation to the Slayer cover that I've had on my PC as long as I can remember having the album name Less than Zero. I still feel Andrew McCarthy can only play himself though. Pretty much every film I've seen him in he practically has the same character, and he always looks nervous to me too. Though I might be mis remembering it, but I'm pretty sure in Rob Lowes book he says that McCarthy getting his first role in class was an accident, and he hadn't even intended to audition, he was just there with a friend who was auditioning. So perhaps he never saw himself as an actor which is why he seems nervous to me. Who knows. Though apparently he's Rob Lowe's only friend to refer to him as Bob.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 am

SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE

It's 1982 and an escaped maniac is on the loose. Ah yes, early '80s USA, that was the place to be. A place where psycho killers don't require back stories, and can lock up entire high school buildings faster than the time it takes a normal person to close a single door.
A place where power drills buzz menacingly as the drill bit stays magically stationary. A place to attack killers with rubber fire pokers. A place where girls run screaming to doors which have been very clearly chained up but still try and open them anyway. A place where you can have your guts slashed open and your hand cut off, and fill a swimming pool with ten gallons of blood in two seconds flat, but still have enough strength to get back out of the pool completely bone dry.
It was a time of red herrings, prolonged and gratuitous soapy shower room nudity, obvious pranks, and innocent peeping tommery. A time where power tools were so overtly phallic there was no room for hidden subtext, and where absolutely nobody listens to repeated TV and radio warnings about escaped psychopaths.

Slumber Party Massacre surely has to be the worst '80s slasher film by quite some distance, yet almost paradoxically, it's general awfulness makes it one of the most watchable. It steals camera shots from Halloween, and music from Piranha. It happily reveals who the (completely unscary and rubbish) killer is in the first five minutes, and handles any possible build-up of tension with all the talent of a chimpanzee holding a handycam.
It's so far beyond awful it's laughable, but for some reason I liked it.
7/10

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:37 pm

So John Carter is predicted to become the biggest flop in cinema history...with Disney expecting to lose $200 million...can't say I'm surprised. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss/anti-fuss is about on the weekend, will prob see Hunger Games straight after to give myself some hope to cling on to as I've got myself quite excited by it!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Darkweasel wrote:SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE

Have you seen Slumber Party Massacre 2, where the killer has a drill guitar? :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:52 pm

John Carter has got very mixed reviews from the media but Joe Public seem more impressed. 7.1 on IMDB from over 18,000 users, that's a pretty good score. It's flopped because of the amount of money it made to make. To put it in context, it took $30million in it's opening weekend in the US and is considered a flop. Multi Oscar winning The Artist has only grossed $40million in the US after being out for 4 months.

General opinion is that it 'flopped' because of bad marketing by Disney. It'll probably go on to do well in the rental market but not anywhere near enough to get a sequel green lit.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:21 pm

angel_of_death wrote:So John Carter is predicted to become the biggest flop in cinema history...with Disney expecting to lose $200 million...can't say I'm surprised. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss/anti-fuss is about on the weekend, will prob see Hunger Games straight after to give myself some hope to cling on to as I've got myself quite excited by it!

I think Battleship will lose more this year, but it'll be a close call between these two.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Soze wrote:John Carter has got very mixed reviews from the media but Joe Public seem more impressed. 7.1 on IMDB from over 18,000 users, that's a pretty good score. It's flopped because of the amount of money it made to make. To put it in context, it took $30million in it's opening weekend in the US and is considered a flop. Multi Oscar winning The Artist has only grossed $40million in the US after being out for 4 months.

General opinion is that it 'flopped' because of bad marketing by Disney. It'll probably go on to do well in the rental market but not anywhere near enough to get a sequel green lit.

It happens more than people think. Avatar was lucky in that respect as it cost $500million and they made that up reasonably quickly especially with dvd sales.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Applecore wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE

Have you seen Slumber Party Massacre 2, where the killer has a drill guitar? :lol:

No, but I plan to. :lol:

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Saw 21 Jump Street and John Carter last night.

21 Jump Street was very enjoyable. A solid comedy effort. Might buy the DVD.

John Carter was OK. It was packed with clichés, but reasonably enjoyable. Nowhere near worth the quarter-billion they spent on it though. If they were hoping for a big franchise-starter, they failed miserably.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 pm

according to the good old news on ITV, Disney have said they will lose at least $200million (as already said on here). i can see that they will be really pushing The Avengers in the coming months now to make up for their losses.