movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Soze wrote:The worst I've seen are Ghost Rider, Green Lantern and the appallingly bad Green Hornet. Something about the letter G it seems!

None of those were great, but they didn't suck nearly as much as Elektra or Blade 3.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Blade 3 was watchable but such a let down after how good the first 2 were

Elektra, I have never been so let down by a film as I was by this, so much potential :(

Green Lantern, as a stand alone film, forget about the comic book, as a stand alone film, was bloody good

Green Hornet was fun, but lacked something, and needed more Kato martial arts action
Last edited by Andy Hall on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Soze wrote:
kaosweaver20 wrote:I like a comic book move that doesn't take itself too seriously. Now, I'm not saying it should be ridiculous, but it needs to accept that it's dealing with a farfetched subject matter and embrace that. :P

That's why I liked Thor. It had comedy moments alongside serious moments, like a proper Hollywood blockbuster used to have back in the day.

Avengers did this in spades for me, it got everything pitch perfect. Man of Steel was too po faced, the Marvel films get things just right. Whilst it's important to have moments of light hearted humour and realise you're making a comic book movie you also have to be careful not to cross the line into self parody or just plain annoying goofiness.

For me Avengers is by far the best comic book movie ever made. I'd put Iron Man, Spiderman 2, X-Men 2 and The Dark Knight Rises next. Batman is one of those characters that does work well when the humour is played down. The worst I've seen are Ghost Rider, Green Lantern and the appallingly bad Green Hornet. Something about the letter G it seems!

You liked The Dark Knight Rises? It wasn't awful, and Christopher Nolan and Batman is always a good combination, but I just think it almost drowned in its own message. :|

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:35 pm

The Nolan Batman trilogy trounces anything Marvel have done for me, i'm sorry just my opinion, i'm no DC fanboy, I just think those films set the bar of what can be achieved with a Superhero franchise
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Andy Hall wrote:The Nolan Batman trilogy trounces anything Marvel have done for me, i'm sorry just my opinion, i'm no DC fanboy, I just think those films set the bar of what can be achieved with a Superhero franchise

I would agree with you for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but something was missing from the third effort. Maybe it was just that the concept wasn't fresh, or perhaps it was just following such a kickass previous effort that it was always not going to compare. I'm not sure, but I felt a little disappointed by it.

Don't get me wrong, it was still awesome. But it was the worst of the trilogy. But we ARE dealing with a pretty sexy trilogy so yeah... :D

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:53 pm

What made the final film for me was the guts it took to make it so bleak, these films are dark anyway, this was pitch black, these were not kids films and that's what I loved about them, they weren't uplifting your 5 year old will enjoy the funny looking costumes movies

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:54 pm

The third film is awesome.

Though I think I'd still rate Dark Knight over it. Heath ledgers performance did pretty much make that movie.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Jobdone wrote:The third film is awesome.

Though I think I'd still rate Dark Knight over it. Heath ledgers performance did pretty much make that movie.

Dark Knight is the best Super hero film made for me, that film is the bar setter :yes:

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:02 pm

Andy Hall wrote:

Dark Knight is the best Super hero film made for me, that film is the bar setter :yes:

And that's the only reason I think '...Rises' struggles for me. It simply isn't the same, but like I said, we're dealing with a kickass trilogy. :P

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Am I the only one that thought Dark Knight Rises was massively overrated?
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Delightful-Jim wrote:Am I the only one that thought Dark Knight Rises was massively overrated?

It's okay. Fairly sure if Heath didn't die his performance wouldn't be anywhere as revered as it is.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:39 pm

I had a similar opinion, and then I rewatched it and I was like "Actually, this is pretty fantastic".

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:
Delightful-Jim wrote:Am I the only one that thought Dark Knight Rises was massively overrated?

It's okay. Fairly sure if Heath didn't die his performance wouldn't be anywhere as revered as it is.

I disagree, alive or dead that performance would have been applauded, he was universally panned when selected to play the role, and everyone was still banging on about Nicholson's performance right up until they saw that film, I think that performance showed how wrong people can be about an actor, 1 role can change everything, look at guys like Tom Hanks, always known as the comedy guy, now 1 of the respected all round actors in Hollywood, and Leonardo DiCaprio, the teen actor who did all the soppy roles, now seen totally differently and for me 1 of my favourite actors due to his flexibilty to play any character

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:07 am

So insomnia led me to decide to dedicate this weekend to watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy through again. So tonight I started on The Fellowship again and you know what? Not only do those movies still kick ass, there's still that magical feeling created when you watch them. It's like you're watching a piece of real cinema history which I suppose you are, in a way. :)

As a fan of the books, but not to the fanatical state, I must say that they're awesome movies. Hopefully I get through all three by the end of the weekend!

Seriously, though, those movies are still magic after all this time!