movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Delightful-Jim wrote:Dr.Strange will happen. Couldn't tell you when though.

I also remember his animated film being pretty decent!

Yeah i've got all them too, the Iron Man and 2 Ultimate Avengers animated films aren't bad either, i got all 4 in a box set, they weren't expensive either if I remember correctly :?
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:22 pm

"Acquiring" the director's cut of Daredevil now. That'll be tonight's watch.
I didn't mind the version of Daredevil I saw. Sure it was a bit tacky and flawed, but it was fun enough.
Also a bit of reading informs me that Marvel have stated that they'd love to do a Daredevil reboot (Frank Miller and Jason Statham have also expressed interest), and the rights went back to them in October.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Applecore wrote:"Acquiring" the director's cut of Daredevil now. That'll be tonight's watch.
I didn't mind the version of Daredevil I saw. Sure it was a bit tacky and flawed, but it was fun enough.
Also a bit of reading informs me that Marvel have stated that they'd love to do a Daredevil reboot (Frank Miller and Jason Statham have also expressed interest), and the rights went back to them in October.

let me know what you think, but it is a lot darker in tone than the theatrical release that's for sure :yes:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 pm

I've never seen Daredevil since originally watching it at the cinema, remember thinking it OK if unmemorable. I'm on the side of X3 being the least of the X-Men films although it wasn't as bad on re-watch as I thought it was first time round.

FF is definitely still in the hands of Fox, they're aiming for a 2015 release for the reboot. I can't possibly see Fox, Sony and Disney getting together to film a Civil War movie, I'm pretty skeptical about a World War Hulk move to if I'm honest.

As for Guardians of the Galaxy, I wasn't aware of the comic at all and I've been and on and off comic book reader all my life. I think it stands a chance of being good fun and it's probably a wise decision of Marvel to go for something a bit more s/f than superhero, I think there's the risk of overkill if we get too many more. I guess that's why they didn't go down the expected Black Panther route, he'd be seen as too similar to Batman and would struggle to attract your average Joe. Dr Strange would be interesting though.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 pm

Dr Strange would be cool as it's another realm ie magic.

I would love a Hawkeye and Black Widow spin off aswell

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:06 am

Gonna be honest Andy, I got bored watching Daredevil.
Still very much the film I remember it being, with a few added bits.
I'm sure I'll try again sometime later though.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 am

Now watch the theatrical version to see how different it is :lol:

You'll be surprised how different it is :yes:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:57 am

COME OUT AND PLAY

For reasons known only to the scriptwriter, an American couple visit a remote Mexican island. When they arrive, they find the place almost completely deserted with no adults to be seen. However, one thing there doesn't seem to be a shortage of is sinister looking children...

Having not seen the original film "Who Can Kill a Child?", I don't know how faithful a remake this is of it, but what I can say is that as a stand alone film, it's absolutely bloody awful.

The husband has to be most thunderously stupid character I've ever seen. The film opens with him walking through the middle of a town asking if anyone knows where he can hire a boat. Here's a thought, you prat. Go to the f**king dock.
Happy speaking fluent Spanish for the first third of the film, he suddenly forgets his bi-linguistic ability. Then remembers it. Then forgets it. Then remembers it again.
Upon witnessing an old man being brutally murdered, he happily leaves his heavily pregnant wife alone while he buggers off to investigate a building.
When his wife suggests they get off the island he says no and barricades them both inside a courtyard. Two minutes later and he's telling her they're getting off the island and acting like it's all his idea.
While chasing a small boy through the town, he turns a corner to find that the boy (who was only about ten feet ahead of him) has suddenly disappeared. You're standing on sand, you tit. Instead of just standing there looking confused, look for his footprints.

The wife has her moments too though as she wanders off here and there. She also makes the continuity team look like idiots when she says "the sweat is dripping off me". Just one look shows you she barely even looks warm, let alone sweating.

Also, the ending of the film had me laughing when it really shouldn't have. As our thickie hero beats up loads of kids, all it did was remind me of Nicolas Cage kicking the fat woman from The Wicker Man in the chest. Any last vestige of drama gone faster than a rat up a drainpipe.
When the end comes, it's mercifully swift but even then the scene is messed up by an actor who, face down and dead in the water, decides that in this film corpses can swim.

If the film does have one thing going for it, it's that it does look (whether by accident or design) like a low budget 1970s horror film. Very authentic looking in parts.
But that's it. Just that one solitary crumb of positivity.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take my pet severed head for a walk.

3/10

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:49 am

For those a few pages ago who said they want to see Good Vibrations it's opening today in the following places;

Curzon Soho
Manchester Cornerhouse
Edinburgh Filmhouse
Glasgow Film Theatre
Newcastle Tyneside
Nottingham Broadway
Sheffield Showroom
Vue Shepherds Bush
Bristol Watershed
The Barbican Centre
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:53 am

Empire Magazine have just interviewed the director on their podcast, interesting guy, says You know way too much though :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Upcoming Status Quo action/comedy:

http://youtu.be/y1lYomhaVOc
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Owen
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Owen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:52 pm

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

He was one of the most recognisable British Actors of the last 20 years.
Turbo wrote:Got to be honest, in comparison to pizza you can get take away or at restaurants - shop bought pizza is shit. Had another doner kebab pizza today. Shit is off the fucking chain.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Applecore wrote:RIP Richard Griffiths :(
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21973505

RIP Uncle Monty

Might watch Withnail again today in tribute.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Silent Hill Revelation:

Pros - Sean bean (with a dodgey accent), great sets, great CGI

Cons - a script full of plot holes, plot pacing is a nightmare, awful dialogue, every horror cliche imaginable, a distinct lack of Sean bean.

It's not a terrible film, but considering how much potential there was after the first they've just limited themselves with cheap 3d possibilities and cheap actors. No explanation as to what that whole roundabout thing was and why she can control pyramid head. And why did it seem like the villain was constructed from left over pieces of a hellraiser film. The most interesting characters were sean bean and his wife. The complete lack of explanation (about 4 seconds long) as to what happened to them from the last film is insulting. I hope a 3rd is mainly about Sean bean and finding his wife. The cgi and sfx, while good, wasn't as good as the first film and only seemed to be used sparingly. Deffo not as good as the first.

5.5/10