movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Moonburp wrote:
Applecore wrote:Prince Charles Cinema in London are doing a double bill of Troma's Class of Nuke 'em High, and the latest installment, Return to Nuke 'em High - WITH a Q&A featuring Lloyd Kaufman.
Next Sunday, £15 for non-members.
http://www.princecharlescinema.com/inde ... =06&day=30

Fucking there.

I'm going to be there to see Mean Girls :D

:lol: Awesome! You heading in during the day? Would be cool to catch up!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Applecore wrote:
Moonburp wrote:
Applecore wrote:Prince Charles Cinema in London are doing a double bill of Troma's Class of Nuke 'em High, and the latest installment, Return to Nuke 'em High - WITH a Q&A featuring Lloyd Kaufman.
Next Sunday, £15 for non-members.
http://www.princecharlescinema.com/inde ... =06&day=30

Fucking there.

I'm going to be there to see Mean Girls :D

:lol: Awesome! You heading in during the day? Would be cool to catch up!

It starts at 3pm so it depends what my sister wants to do! I'll let you know though!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Sounds good dude! I think me and my mates will be looking to get to London for around 2, as our thing starts at 4..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Man of Steel

You'll believe a man can fly.

You'll believe that one actor can make only three facial expressions in two hours.

You'll believe that Russell Crowe isn't just a lazily invented hologram to give him more screen time and make things easy for the writers at all.

You'll believe an overweight 50 year old Laurence Fishburne can outrun a falling building.

You'll believe that aeroplanes can explode at high speed twenty feet infront of you without debris or shrapnel hitting you.

You'll believe that half of the film is one very loud and very long CGI fight scene.

You'll believe that there are apparently no casualties or fatalities worth noting after half of a city has been completely f**king obliterated.

You'll believe that the ending is one giant anticlimax.

Some the above may not be true.
5/10

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Not just me that felt it was 1 long beat em up computer game then

Although I thought the stuff on Krypton was great fun and wished for more of it
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:30 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Although I thought the stuff on Krypton was great fun and wished for more of it

Best part of the film.
It picked up for a while right around the time that Dances with Twisters disappeared.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:25 pm

I didn't think Man of Steel was that bad, but it had two major flaws:

The narrative was shit. The 'origin story' we were promised was brushed over with rubbish flashbacks that robbed it of any emotion.

As already noted, the last half hour of the movie was just a beat em up game. There's only so many times I can watch somebody thrown through a building. No dynamic in that finale at all, so the whole film was at least half an hour too long.

Shame because I was really looking forward to it, but it was just robbed of the emotion and glory the trailers promised.
Personally I chalk it up to yet another failure from Zack Snyder, but I know a lot of the blame falls on the writers. Shame on them!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:00 pm

I really think people were expecting a Nolan batman film because he was attached. Zack Snyder is a visual director and he supplied a visual masterpiece. The story was developed by Nolan and written by Goyer.

If people treated this like Superman Begins I doubt people would be complaining so much.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Compare the final battle scene in Avengers to Superman though. Superman was just one long relentless slug fest, Avengers kept stopping for breath and throwing in humour and character pieces. I enjoyed Superman but it was very cold.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Well in fairness, Avengers was written and directed by a huge comic book fan in Joss Whedon. Nolan's only comic book reference is he directed Batman. He's admitted he's never read a batman book (his brother wrote the outlines for the films). Zack knows comic books but he can't write for shit so his directorship was all that was needed and he made it look great. Great angles, keen eye on the colours and did a great job of making it look nice. The story can't be blamed on him.

The other issue is Avengers works off several big characters. Man of Steel is really just Superman. And its also much more serious in tone compared to Avengers which is very much a family film.

Also, i wonder did anyone notice the Batman easter eggs? I spotted the lex Luthor ones.

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Pacific Rim trailers. Mmmmmmmmm. The most manly film ever? Quite possibly. :D

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:34 pm

angel_of_death wrote:I didn't think Man of Steel was that bad, but it had two major flaws:

The narrative was shit. The 'origin story' we were promised was brushed over with rubbish flashbacks that robbed it of any emotion.

As already noted, the last half hour of the movie was just a beat em up game. There's only so many times I can watch somebody thrown through a building. No dynamic in that finale at all, so the whole film was at least half an hour too long.

Shame because I was really looking forward to it, but it was just robbed of the emotion and glory the trailers promised.
Personally I chalk it up to yet another failure from Zack Snyder, but I know a lot of the blame falls on the writers. Shame on them!

The thing is , I like Zack Snyder's movies usually, even when the films aren't great, they are normally full of innovation, look at Sucker Punch, it would have been a lot better if the studio had allowed him to make the R rated movie he had planned to do, but the film was really quite stunning and full of ideas and things I had never seen before in a movie, and Watchmen, I still think is fantastic even though people tear it to shreds, that film is an impressive piece of art quite frankly

But Superman seemed devoid of anything new, and my biggest gripe was 1 punch from any of those characters would have killed Batman, this is supposed to be a universe where he joins the Justice League with him :|
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Well, that's always been true.

Superman is the most hilarious op thing in the entire fucking world. If he truly lets himself go he can PUNCH WALLS THROUGH THE FABRIC OF TIME AND SPACE.

Batman's just been there being badass, planning how to take him down. That's always been the cool thing. You know Superman should be able to instakill Batman, but there's that thing that "Well maybe if Batman was prepared".

See: The Dark Knight Returns

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Justice League Doom aswell

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:09 am

Ironclad 2 trailer is up on YouTube, looking good