movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Dan Jenkins
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Dan Jenkins » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Last edited by Dan Jenkins on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:16 pm

bloodfiend wrote:I love the way you've flagged up those choices as B-movies, but didn't notice I included the abomination of cinema that is Jess Franco's Killer Barbys at No.6!!!!.....i take it you haven't seen that film then????

Fuck, is that also known as "Vampire Killer Barbys"? Because I used to have that on DVD (one Halloween I bought a copy of each horror film in Poundland) but never got around to watching it. Ran out of space for new (good) DVDs and flogged most of what I'd bought.

And how could you ever call Wanted a B-Movie????

Over-the-top action, plot you could fit on the back of a stamp, very silly throughout.. it's a B-Movie with a budget :P
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Dan Jenkins wrote:
clare-l wrote:I watched Open House, which was billed as starring Anna Paquin. Spoiler, she died eight minutes in.

That's good, I find her a really poor actress in general.

oh, it was hilarious. it had Beel from True Blood as a victim too.

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:23 pm

No Country For Old Men
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
City of God
Rocky II
Goodfellas
Donnie Darko

Not in that order
Those are all I care to list

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:28 pm

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:
Luke_X wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:Death Race 2 where the hell did that come from :o

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/-/602/8 ... type=genre

Luke Goss is the lead actor so i think ill give it a miss.

I'll rent it first and probably end up buying it, the first was stupidly fun :lol:

Much preferred Death Race 2000. Couldn't sit through Death Race..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

necrochrist
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby necrochrist » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:25 pm

yog sothoth wrote:
necrochrist wrote:im tired and ive been working all night but im going to try list some of my top films in no particular order

- Happiness

Top marks for having 'Happiness' in your favorites list. It's a great film, but a very uncomfortable watch.

its an amazing film i first saw it when studying film at college, ive been trying to get my girlfriend to watch it for ages but i accidentally told her that theres a peado guy etc.. and shes not too keen on watching it now

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:55 pm

Applecore wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:
Luke_X wrote:Luke Goss is the lead actor so i think ill give it a miss.

I'll rent it first and probably end up buying it, the first was stupidly fun :lol:

i wouldnt have said the remake was a masterpiece but for a popcorn flick its good.

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
uber_scran wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:15 Batman The Dark Knight

I really like your list but I am sure I am the only person who thought Dark Knight was absolute rubbish!

Trust me, you're not! I adore Christopher Nolan, but I thought Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were terrible, terrible films. Christian Bale, as much as I like him, makes an awful Batman/Bruce Wayne.

i wouldnt personally say Batman Begins was a brilliant story anyway even in the graphics novels. they were testing the water to see if it could work and they took the good things from that film and made the Dark Knight. which in my mind captures the darkness and brutality of the bruce wayne/batman character perfectly. it really shows the stress and morality such a task can effect one person and the people in their lives. i personally would have liked Two-Face to live but we will see how that effects the 3rd/final film.

i think the reason so many people like the Dark Knight is nt the story but how the characters and their characterisation is played out. that is what so many people like. the same reason everyone liked Iron Man.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Watching 300 on five. It occurs to me that is they played the slow motion parts at regular speed, the film would only be ten minutes long.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:09 pm

Just bought a couple of '80s "Kids Horror" films..
The Gate
The Willies
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:43 am

Luke_X wrote:
Applecore wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:I'll rent it first and probably end up buying it, the first was stupidly fun :lol:

i wouldnt have said the remake was a masterpiece but for a popcorn flick its good.

I don't know.

I just can't trust a remake that leaves out Sly Stallone as a crazy nazi.

BigJoe78
Warrior of Metal

Postby BigJoe78 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:40 am

[quote="Applecore"]Just bought a couple of '80s "Kids Horror" films..
The Gate

sweet nostalgia! i loved that flick as a kid grwing up in the 80s it had metal and horror, i was sold!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:41 pm

Just got back from seeing The Hole in 3D..
2 kids who've just moved to a boring new town find a mysterious trapdoor in their basement. Obviously, they open it, and obviously, their deepest, darkest fears lie within.

Being a 12A film, it almost goes without saying that it won't have much effect on the "experienced" horror fan. However it is a lot of fun, very much in the vein of Poltergeist. There's enough suspense and creepy stuff to make non-horror fans hide behind their hands and scream (as my good friend Lola did throughout the whole movie.. good job the place was empty except for us!), as well as keep the hardened veterans who lurk this forum happy.
The 3D is nothing too spectacular, it's only really used to throw something at the viewer every now and again, but if a 2D release comes out on DVD, I'll definitely be picking it up.
Oh, also it's directed by Joe Dante, so obviously features a cameo appearance by the legendary Dick Miller :D

8/10
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

necrochrist
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby necrochrist » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:02 pm

watched Machete earlier
its everything you would expect from the trailer. lots of blood & action
and very fun to watch
only problem with the copy i watched is that the spanish bits had no subs attached and im not computer clever enough to work out the .srt file i needed to attach, but it didnt affect the film much as its only a couple of points with spanish talking and its not exactly a hard film to follow
8/10

also watched Diary Of A Wimpy Kid....was mildly amusing, not really my kind of film though, was just recomended by a friend who usually has good taste, was watchable though
6/10

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:08 am

I... sorta liked Machete.

Watched it last night.

It was decent enough, and it fuffilled my bloodlust somewhat but it all seemed very much done with an ironic snigger.

I like old, bad films because they are old and bad because the people writing them are shit.
I didn't need as much dialogue as this thing had considering it was purposefully shit.

That's why I liked the Expendables. It was a flashback to those 80s movies, but Sly was still taking it somewhat seriously.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:19 am

Currently watching this lump of '80s cheddar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUD0jgnoS-8
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock