movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:43 am

I didn't even know they'd remade The Sweeney until I saw the advert the other night.
I shall be avoiding it a lot.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:45 am

^

That.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:05 am

I think Dredd will only been in 3D at the cinema. Obviously to exploit all the slow motion scenes in it.

The Sweeny looks absolute shit. They could have got a more talented person, hell I'd even go as far as say an actual actor, instead of plan b.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:42 am

Saw trailer for the Sweeney when I went to see Dark Knight.

Looked fucking terrible.

Watched Candyman 2 last night. Pretty entertaining. plus all dem physical effects.

Watching the Shining later because last night my mate found out I hadn't watched it.

SashVicious
Warrior of Metal

Postby SashVicious » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:43 am

I saw Dredd in 3D yesterday, and I was in complete awe at the cinematography.
I loved the slo-mo parts, which was really well done in the 3D effects too.
I'm off to see it again next Friday :D WIN!
My word and world holds ground and is real
Your world is like floods of poisoned water
A language spoken with spit from different tongues

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:14 am

Luke_X wrote:I think Dredd will only been in 3D at the cinema. Obviously to exploit all the slow motion scenes in it.

I saw it in 2D, but kinda wish I'd paid the extra and seen it in 3D for the druggy bits.

Might give the Sweeney a go next week, but it's not as good as my idea...

Gertcha

In an alternate reality, Dave Peacock (Ray Winston) and Chas Hodges (Jason Statham) aren't just musical megastars (in this alternate reality, Rockney music is the most popular form of music in the world) but also undercover MI6 agents and use their stadium tours as a front to fight international super-villains.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:17 am

So, what is it?

New Iron Man character?
New Thor villain?
New Superman baddie?

No.
That'll be Robocop then.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:29 am

Kill me now. Fuck you Hollywood.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:27 am

I saw this yesterday. To say I'm unimpressed is an understatement. He doesn't look threatening, he looks way too skinny and why has he got one normal hand? And I'd be happy to place money that his gun does some transformer shit out of his leg, that's assuming they kept at least that part true to the original. As it stands, I'm going to be avoiding this like the plague.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:48 am

oh look another remake.

I'll be avoiding it.

Unrelated, but watched The Shining yesterday.

Fucking amazing. I love Kubrick.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 am

GREEN LANTERN
Maybe we've been spoiled with the high quality of all the recent Marvel adaptations (no, I don't mean Ang Lee's Hulk, and yes I am including Captain America) but DC's Green Lantern was a joyless mess from beginning to end. The whole thing just seemed laboured and desperate, like somebody trying telling a joke they know isn't funny and doing it really badly.
On top of everything else, the acting was poor (Tim Robbins spent most of his time with an expression that said "why am I doing this?"), the effects weren't that great, and the music score was intrusive and annoying due to its two main cues having been blatantly lifted from Superman and Starship Troopers.
No sequel please.
3/10

HOSTAGE
Now this is more like it. Forget Ryan Reynolds being smug in a green suit, let's have Bruce Willis kicking bottom again. Beginning with a hostage situation that goes wrong, Beardy Bruce the Hostage Negotiator changes jobs, moves home, has a shave and becomes Baldy Bruce the local Police Chief.
However, you just know his old job is going to come in handy when three kids break into a house and it becomes a hostage situation involving a rich guy, his young son and teenage daughter.
Things become more messed up when it turns out the owner of the house is actually working for some very dubious clients. These clients then take Bruce's wife and daughter hostage, using them to make him retrieve an important disc for them from the house.
If that wasn't bad enough, it then turns out that one of the three kids is a genuine psychopath who becomes more unhinged as the situation escalates.

I haven't seen a Bruce Willis film as good as this for ages and I have no idea why I haven't seen it before. There's not much to say apart from it's massively enjoyable (if a little OTT in places) and in some ways, feels more like a Die Hard film than Die Hard 4.0.
9/10

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Darkweasel wrote:GREEN LANTERN
No sequel please.

you dont have to worry about that, it barely made it's budget. my main bug, being a fan of the SInestro Corps War/Blackest Night stories, they spent a hell of a lot of time creating each Green Lantern in the scenes where you see them all gathered yet only used 4. an absolute waste of great characters. also Parallax isnt a fucking smoke monster, it's something completely different and way more powerful than portrayed in the film.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Image

So, what is it?

New Iron Man character?
New Thor villain?
New Superman baddie?

No.
That'll be Robocop then.

I bet the remake will be completely devoid of the satire of the original.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Green Lantern was terrible. How such a concept could be turned into such a dreadfully boring film beggars belief.

Robocop looks rubbish but as ever I'm willing to be impressed. I'll make up my mind when / if I see it.

As for Bruce Willis, this Looper film is getting some rave reviews. The trailer didn't wow me but the praise has raised my interest levels.

Green Man
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:11 am

Jobdone wrote:oh look another remake.

I'll be avoiding it.

Unrelated, but watched The Shining yesterday.

Fucking amazing. I love Kubrick.

That's the only version worth watching. The made-for-TV several years later was absolute crap!

But on the flip side, the remake of Cape Fear with Robert DeNiro is far superior to the first.

Fuck, we could have a whole thread about this.

Another movie that was better with the original is Psycho but a film where the remake was better is The Blob.