movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: movies

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:54 am

Yeah my mate does that. He said Avengers is just a mish mash of other films and similar to Transformers. Which it is but every film copies other films. If you only watched original films then you'd only have 50 films in your collection. :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:56 am

:lol:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:01 pm

My gf does the same. She will pick fault if a film isnt 100% accurate or (in her mind) doesn't make sense. I just sigh as she doesn't really watch films enough to appreciate them. but she knows how much i love films so she watches them anyway even if they're a bit shit.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Thing is, I'll happily study the intricate details of films, but only when the occasion calls for it.
If I've just paid the best part of a tenner to see a movie, I'm going to get into the mindset that's most likely going to let me enjoy it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm the complete opposite, if i've paid a tenner to watch a film it will get slagged off if bits annoy me

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:08 pm

Luckily my wife likes the same films as me which is great.

My mate like films which I call Arty films. I like to point out that having weird camera angles and someone sitting there not saying anything for half hour with slow background music does not make a film meaningful :lol:

Beezerk
Consort of the Beast

Postby Beezerk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:27 pm

I like films in most genres, not so keen on action/chase/fight type films unless there's a decent plot but I will watch most things.
For me, a film has to transport you somewhere else and tell you a story which holds your attention and at least make you think a bit ;)
I saw a film the other week called Hardware after a couple of friends had mentioned it was a bit of a classic. Watched it and then couldn't believe I'd wasted 90 minutes of my life on it :lol:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:55 pm

Let's put it this way, my mate will not watch superhero films because they aren't realistic :lol:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Beezerk
Consort of the Beast

Postby Beezerk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Let's put it this way, my mate will not watch superhero films because they aren't realistic :lol:

That's just silly :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Well obviously your mate has never seen laser beams coming out of my eyes then!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:22 pm

Ghost wrote:Well obviously your mate has never seen laser beams coming out of my eyes then!

He's special what can I say :lol:

Beezerk
Consort of the Beast

Postby Beezerk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Has anyone succeeded in watching Tree Of Life yet?
I had to turn off after 20 minutes as quite literally nothing was happening heh heh.
Shame as it's supposed to be excellent but I couldn't get into it at all, it reminded me of those dodgy CK adverts, kinda way too far up its own jacksie.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:39 pm

is that the film that goes to different time zones with the guy searching for his wife through time, he's standing under a tree as it's flying to the heavens ?

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:48 pm

Beezerk wrote:Has anyone succeeded in watching Tree Of Life yet?
I had to turn off after 20 minutes as quite literally nothing was happening heh heh.
Shame as it's supposed to be excellent but I couldn't get into it at all, it reminded me of those dodgy CK adverts, kinda way too far up its own jacksie.

Andy Hall wrote:is that the film that goes to different time zones with the guy searching for his wife through time, he's standing under a tree as it's flying to the heavens ?

That's The Fountain Andy.

My review of Tree of life, from about 18 months ago. Yes I did sit through it all.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:The Tree Of Life - Not an easy film to watch, this is in the same vein of movies as The Fountain. Yes it does have a central plot, but it's mostly visual art, put to music, with a little story woven into it's fabric. It is ponderous, overly pretentious & I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it. 2/10.

Darren Aronofsky, has done some good films. Black Swan. The Wrestler, Requiem For A Dream are all good. But for every decent movie, he seems to then want to create a other things that are very weighty & artistic.

Yes, they look fantastic & he does get the best out of his casts, but they all drag on like nothing else I've ever seen. I'm half expecting Noah, to be another bore even though it sounds like it could be very good.

Terence Malick, follows a similar sort of pattern.
Last edited by Aaaarrrrgggghhhh on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beezerk
Consort of the Beast

Postby Beezerk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:
Beezerk wrote:Has anyone succeeded in watching Tree Of Life yet?

Andy Hall wrote:is that the film that goes to different time zones with the guy searching for his wife through time, he's standing under a tree as it's flying to the heavens ?

That's The Fountain Andy.

My review of Tree of life, from about 18 months ago. Yes I did sit through it all.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:The Tree Of Life - Not an easy film to watch, this is in the same vein of movies as The Fountain. Yes it does have a central plot, but it's mostly visual art, put to music, with a little story woven into it's fabric. It is ponderous, overly pretentious & I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it. 2/10.

Nice one, thanks mate, definitely one of those you have to be in the mood for.
Have you seen Melancholia? I liked that film, it was quite odd but odd can be good if done in the right way.