movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I am not a Superman fan at all, but the trailer looks brilliant, and I'm seeing this tomorrow myself

You've said you're not a comic book reader before so I'm guessing your knowledge of Superman is from the Christopher Reeves films? Do you not like the first couple of those? They're classics!!

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Soze wrote:Image

Film of the year.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Soze wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:I am not a Superman fan at all, but the trailer looks brilliant, and I'm seeing this tomorrow myself

You've said you're not a comic book reader before so I'm guessing your knowledge of Superman is from the Christopher Reeves films? Do you not like the first couple of those? They're classics!!

My knowledge of the character is from the dc animated series of justice League and the movies, just never liked the character, although when he started being less all American hero and more protecter of Earth I liked him more
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Andy Hall wrote:
Soze wrote:

My knowledge of the character is from the dc animated series of justice League and the movies, just never liked the character, although when he started being less all American hero and more protecter of Earth I liked him more

The current New 53 Action Comics is great. He's very much just the latter. And i think the new one will borrow a few elements from the new series, I.e. the new suits looks very similar to the new Jim Lee drawings in the JL books.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:06 am

New 53, i've been reading about this, the fans are up in arms about it, safe to say it's not gone well :?
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:49 am

1415 showing booked for Man Of Steel :yes:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Andy Hall wrote:New 53, i've been reading about this, the fans are up in arms about it, safe to say it's not gone well :?

New 52...I've read Grant Morrison's Superman and Scott Snyder's Batman since the relaunch, they've both been really good. Wasn't aware there'd been any fan backlash or anything.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Man Of Steel

No idea what I think of it, it felt like scenes i'd seen before in The Matrix, War of The Worlds, V the series and Independence Day oh and Transformers all put together to make another film, I felt like I was watching an end of the world doomsday movie by the end more than a Superman film, and Zod wasn't as threatening as his female Colonel in my opinion, who was really good in this , and when a military man says what the eff instead of fuck, you know you're watching a film :lol:

And once again, America. America, America :x

I will say this, the opening 30 minutes were brilliant, i'd love to see a prequel based on the Kryptonians

Plus side, they've done away with the ridiculous red underwear and the whole Lois not knowing that Clark Kent is Superman because he looks totally different wearing glasses rubbish, Lois is a detective as much as a reporter after all, performances were very good, i'd say the best was by Kevin Costner, very good performance by him, and with Amy Adams they have the perfect Lois, and the whole film's scale is enormous, the effects were fantastic, and it was 1 big set piece after 1 big set piece, they've certainly gone for it

But yeah, if Goyer wanted to add Batman to this for The Justice League, it wouldn't work in my opinion, this universe just seem light years away from the Batman universe, which is probably why i'm so confused, it just seems all wrong, it was more sci-fi than super hero :?

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Hatchet 3
More swamp based slaughter courtesy of Victor Crowley and some sharp, pointy objects. A massive - MASSIVE improvement on the awful second instalment. Funny, scary, gory as hell and filled as usual with cameos and appearances by a long list of horror actors and actresses. There's even a quality comedy moment where the Sheriff recalls the story from the first two films contrived and ridiculous, only for Adam Green (their director) to look up and frown disappointedly from his jail cell. Some great moments throughout, especially when two different Jasons from Friday the 13th movies go head to head.
8/10
Last edited by Darkweasel on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:07 am

Andy Hall wrote:Man Of Steel

No idea what I think of it, it felt like scenes i'd seen before in The Matrix, War of The Worlds, V the series and Independence Day oh and Transformers all put together to make another film, I felt like I was watching an end of the world doomsday movie by the end more than a Superman film, and Zod wasn't as threatening as his female Colonel in my opinion, who was really good in this , and when a military man says what the eff instead of fuck, you know you're watching a film :lol:

And once again, America. America, America :x

I will say this, the opening 30 minutes were brilliant, i'd love to see a prequel based on the Kryptonians

Plus side, they've done away with the ridiculous red underwear and the whole Lois not knowing that Clark Kent is Superman because he looks totally different wearing glasses rubbish, Lois is a detective as much as a reporter after all, performances were very good, i'd say the best was by Kevin Costner, very good performance by him, and with Amy Adams they have the perfect Lois, and the whole film's scale is enormous, the effects were fantastic, and it was 1 big set piece after 1 big set piece, they've certainly gone for it

But yeah, if Goyer wanted to add Batman to this for The Justice League, it wouldn't work in my opinion, this universe just seem light years away from the Batman universe, which is probably why i'm so confused, it just seems all wrong, it was more sci-fi than super hero :?

You seem to be highlighting a good few of the films main criticisms. I had no idea the new Superman film would be so joyless. Everyone seems to think it is :lol:
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:15 am

I'll probably watch Man of Steel, but tbh Superman has never been a particularly interesting superhero to me. Always felt completely unrelatable and flat, so outlandishly powerful that as a character, I couldn't empathise with him at all.

This was many years ago now though, and I do have... interesting... memories of Superman 2 (I think?) where he gets put through that machine that makes robots. That scared the shit out of me when I was younger. :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:45 am

I have to wonder if Andy was watching a different film. There was no America America america, it was all humanity humanity humanity.

I thought it was fantastic. They really changed Zod, the tone of the film and the way it all plays out. they key thing to remember is Superman is an alien, so its got to focus a lot on his alien origin and will be quite sci fi about it. The majority of dcs characters either revolves around either aliens or the supernatural, as opposed to Marvels mythical heroes.

The only part i didnt like is that they didn't acknowledge the Krypton AI as the brainiac intelligence, which would have opened it up for the next villain. But as we saw a Lexcorp truck being thrown about, we may see him turn up.
I'd give it 8/10. Superb acting, sets, directing and story. People will find faults because of the Christopher reeve films.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:57 am

I found faults because I felt like I was watching scenes from films I'd already seen, seriously the final felt like I was watching agent smith vs Mr Anderson in the Matrix, and The Martrix was all through this film, without spoilers I can't say where obviously, but they stood out so far for me, then it turned in to Independence Day at 1 point, and the start of Terminator at another, and War Of The Worlds, and even Doc Oc turned up in another scene, Transformers aswell was obviously a massive influence too

It lacked the thing Snyder does really well and that was originality, I also didn't feel any weight behind the fights, some films a punch is thrown you go ow I felt that, not once did I feel I was watching a proper fight, and where did Clark learn to fight after all Zod is a soldier and Clark all film refusing to fight ?

The only emotion I felt was when Clark says he wants to pretend to be his son still, the film really lacked emotion for me too, it tried to add it, but came off very cold, it felt ingenuous, and over the top when it did come, and I am sounding like I hated it, but technically it was flawless, the acting apart from the emotion side I couldn't fault and it had 2 very funny scenes I enjoyed, and the opening 30 minutes I could have watched all film, it was a good ride, but ultimately 1 I had seen already in plenty of other films, I was expecting a lot darker atmosphere and writing direction from Goyer to go with Batman as this is obviously the same world that Batman is in due to the Justive League, but I couldn't see him in this film, it would have been so out of place, and Batman would have died from 1 punch from these characters aswell, they weren't just strong they were indestructable near enough and so powerful 1 could have destroyed the planet on their own if they wanted :|

Now for a prequel about the Kryptonians please :yes:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:35 pm

The whole film was originality. Its a completely different take on Superman. And tbh, your saying its taking from other films but transformers took heavily from independence day which in turn took heavily from Stargate which took from Star Trek. Almost every film will borrow an element from something else. Snyder did a fantastic job of weaving in and out of action with emotional situations. Also, he didnt write it. Nolan came up with the original idea with Golan. So point some blame his way too.

Also lets keep in mind this is only a reintroduction of the character. They have the ability to expand more now. Batman Begins (which people were also very picky about) wasnt exactly original either but it spawned two of the biggest superhero film sequels.

It's as close to Superman as you can get.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:03 pm

I liked Man of Steel.

It was kind of dumb though.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!