movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: movies

Postby mikeftw » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Got this bad boy for a quid, been years since i've seen it

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:45 am

That movie is ace.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:34 am

Watched Only God Forgives last night. This probably contains spoilers, but there's that thin a plot, I doubt it'll spoil it.

Honestly, I really don't know what to make of it. Very Style over substance in my opinion. It was nicely lit, but I just found all the red neon and night time shots a bit tiresome, I was actually glad when there was a scene in daylight, as I found it quite relieving. My mate said he was unsure about how to feel about the lack of closure, but personally I just didn't care enough about any of the characters to give a damn about what happens, and in a way, I thought it was kind of nice that the bad guy wins for a change. Though I'm pretty sure they're all bad guys, so I suppose a better way of wording it would be that the films lead doesn't win.
Far too many moody shots. And an occasional thing that made you jump, which I'm never a fan of. and a really hammy script full of clichés, that is of course in the rare moment someone does actually talk, which isn't often.
What I will say is that it does tension well, though I think composer Cliff Martinez has a huge part to play in that. Another fantastic score from him, ranging from ethnic sounding music, to delicate ambient, to ominous electronic music. I think I only really started to enjoy it around the point of the fight scene, which is sort of the penultimate action scene, so right at the end.
Will I watch it again? No, I doubt it. But I may well download the soundtrack.

The watched Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie this morning after taping it yesterday. In some respects I preferred it to the original MMPR movie, but I think that was because I was less invested in Turbo, so it's a new experience. However in terms of the film itself, it's just a normal episode dragged out to 4 times the running length. The actual action scenes seemed very short and sparse, and the film concerned itself more with getting to the action, than the action itself, which for that sort of film doesn't really work.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:36 pm

I think the idea of Only God Forgives is that they're in purgatory

I liked Drive, would I like this ?
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:14 pm

I guess so.
Minimal Dialogue, Sleek and stylish, Same composer, just as violent if not more so, so in those respects it's quite similar. Though I guess it's a bit darker in only god forgives. But perhaps more funny too, but like uncomfortably funny if than makes sense.

I think it's worth seeing it just to make your own mind up.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm off to see Pacific Rim tomorrow night, just before Bloodstock. Seems like a perfect introduction to me :)

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:55 pm

kaosweaver20 wrote:I'm off to see Pacific Rim tomorrow night, just before Bloodstock. Seems like a perfect introduction to me :)

You'll only enjoy it if you switch your brain off

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Saw Despicable Me 2 the other night.
Daft, over the top, cheesy. Loved it.

Saw Pacific Rim tonight.
Daft, over the top, cheesy. Loved it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:10 pm

The Inkeepers
Something about ghosts and a hotel. Couldn't tell you any more because nothing happened for so long my brain waved a little white flag and went down the pub.
Further proof that House of the Devil was nothing more than a lucky one-off for director Ti West.
2/10

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:23 am

Darkweasel wrote:The Inkeepers
Something about ghosts and a hotel. Couldn't tell you any more because nothing happened for so long my brain waved a little white flag and went down the pub.
Further proof that House of the Devil was nothing more than a lucky one-off for director Ti West.
2/10

That film had great reviews when it came out. I didn't like it either.
I see the bad moon arising.

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:22 pm

mikeftw wrote:
kaosweaver20 wrote:I'm off to see Pacific Rim tomorrow night, just before Bloodstock. Seems like a perfect introduction to me :)

You'll only enjoy it if you switch your brain off

It seems that way. But honestly, what was del Toro thinking? :P

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:25 pm

He was thinking "fuck it, I want to make a movie that's just brainless fun" and succeeded :P
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Applecore wrote:He was thinking "fuck it, I want to make a movie that's just brainless fun" and succeeded :P

Fair enough. Although I'd love to see him make a movie without Ron Perlman in it. :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Haha, I love Ron Perlman! Thought he was awesome in Pacific Rim as yet another completely over-the-top, played-mostly-for-laughs character.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:55 pm

http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.