movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:35 am

Saw Silver Lining Playbook and The Master last night.

Both were well acted and well made, but not really my kind of movies.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:19 pm

angel_of_death wrote:Lovefilm automatically restarted it self after a pay freeze...we figured we may aswell keep it going as since we froze the account we've spend a fortune on Blu-Rays!
Anyway, we had Carnage and My Week with Marilyn come through the post.

Carnage - Roman Polanskis film about two couples (John C. O'Reilly, Jodi Foster, Kate Winslet and Christoph Waltz) meeting to discuss a fight between their sons that left one of them apparently disfigured. What starts off as a amicable discussion and agreement over where the blame lies quickly descends into all out carnage as both marriages slowly fall apart. Great performances all round, my only real gripe is that the ending is a bit sudden.

My Week With marilyn - Based on an apparent true story about a young man who desperately wants to get into the movie business, so he hassles Lawrence Olivier for a job on the production of The Princess and the Showgirl, where he forms a relationship with a fragile Marilyn Monroe. The film overall was ok, the performances were strong, but I think it was ultimately unremarkable and forgettable.

On Netflix, we also watched Being Elmo - Documentary about Kevin Clash, the guy behind Sesame Streets (and worldwide superstar) Elmo. Interesting story about his childhood, and his determination in getting to be a part of Jim Hensons team of muppeteers. No challenging content, but it is a short but heart warming story!

Why not just torrent/stream the films? saves paying on netflix and saves buying films you're not sure if you will want to watch again.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:10 pm

angel_of_death wrote:On Netflix, we also watched Being Elmo - Documentary about Kevin Clash, the guy behind Sesame Streets (and worldwide superstar) Elmo. Interesting story about his childhood, and his determination in getting to be a part of Jim Hensons team of muppeteers. No challenging content, but it is a short but heart warming story!

He's resigned recently due to allegations of sexual relationships with under-age males. Wouldn't quite call it paedophilia cos the people making the allegations were well into their teens.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APf832189a75dd4fffa3e7fb0f40c01591.html
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Watched a couple of movies lately. The Angel's Share, a really funny Ken Loach film about a group of Glaswegian underclass who are doing community service for various misdemeanors. The community worker takes one of them under his wing and they develop a love of whiskey...the plot then takes a turn towards the ludicrous but it's both good drama and great fun with a moral of redemption.

Also watched an old Woody Allen film, Another Woman. I've developed a love/hate relationship with Allen's movies, his early slapstick comedies don't make me laugh at all, I love a lot of his comedy dramas but am invariably bored witless by his serious dramas. This was one of the latter and I found it insanely dull and thoroughly depressing.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:55 pm

jamestomo wrote:
angel_of_death wrote:Lovefilm automatically restarted it self after a pay freeze...we figured we may aswell keep it going as since we froze the account we've spend a fortune on Blu-Rays!
Anyway, we had Carnage and My Week with Marilyn come through the post.

Carnage - Roman Polanskis film about two couples (John C. O'Reilly, Jodi Foster, Kate Winslet and Christoph Waltz) meeting to discuss a fight between their sons that left one of them apparently disfigured. What starts off as a amicable discussion and agreement over where the blame lies quickly descends into all out carnage as both marriages slowly fall apart. Great performances all round, my only real gripe is that the ending is a bit sudden.

My Week With marilyn - Based on an apparent true story about a young man who desperately wants to get into the movie business, so he hassles Lawrence Olivier for a job on the production of The Princess and the Showgirl, where he forms a relationship with a fragile Marilyn Monroe. The film overall was ok, the performances were strong, but I think it was ultimately unremarkable and forgettable.

On Netflix, we also watched Being Elmo - Documentary about Kevin Clash, the guy behind Sesame Streets (and worldwide superstar) Elmo. Interesting story about his childhood, and his determination in getting to be a part of Jim Hensons team of muppeteers. No challenging content, but it is a short but heart warming story!

Why not just torrent/stream the films? saves paying on netflix and saves buying films you're not sure if you will want to watch again.

Because I like my films to be the highest quality. Hell, I won't even buy DVDs anymore unless there's no Blu-Ray version!

MetalBeast wrote:
angel_of_death wrote:On Netflix, we also watched Being Elmo - Documentary about Kevin Clash, the guy behind Sesame Streets (and worldwide superstar) Elmo. Interesting story about his childhood, and his determination in getting to be a part of Jim Hensons team of muppeteers. No challenging content, but it is a short but heart warming story!

He's resigned recently due to allegations of sexual relationships with under-age males. Wouldn't quite call it paedophilia cos the people making the allegations were well into their teens.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APf832189a75dd4fffa3e7fb0f40c01591.html

Yeah, already seen this and posted a facebook debate about it.

Personally I think it's bollocks. Just more greedy fame seekers jumping on the band wagon to make a quick buck and ruining someones life in the process. The film was a success, then all of a sudden people start accusing him of this stuff. Much like this celebrity witch hunt going on here at the moment, I think a lot of that is bollocks too. The sad thing is that even if he is not guilty, his life and career is ruined, which would clearly be a loss.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:30 pm

angel_of_death wrote:Because I like my films to be the highest quality. Hell, I won't even buy DVDs anymore unless there's no Blu-Ray version!

Dude, you need to pirate better.

There's entire sections of torrent sites dedicated to insanely high quality rips. From the 700mb BDrips, to the 8gb huge motherfucker bluray whatever the fucks.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Jobdone wrote:
angel_of_death wrote:Because I like my films to be the highest quality. Hell, I won't even buy DVDs anymore unless there's no Blu-Ray version!

Dude, you need to pirate better.

There's entire sections of torrent sites dedicated to insanely high quality rips. From the 700mb BDrips, to the 8gb huge motherfucker bluray whatever the fucks.

This, pretty much. Piracy has come on a long way from shaky cameras under a coat in the cinema. DVD/BD rips sometimes even surface before a film hits the cinema.

Plus, to back up James' point - if the rip you get isn't absolutely top tits, but the film is - you know you're safe to buy it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm well aware of how to pirate thanks :P I just prefer not to :)

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Fair enough.
Lovefilm/Netflix is a good (legal!) alternative to outright buying. I use Lovefilm myself to prevent impulse buys (you can add films to your list by scanning the barcode on their smartphone app).

That said, I do still impulse buy like a bitch. Bought Carnage last week, actually. Would've enjoyed it a lot more if my flatmade hadn't decided to start playing PC games on full volume in the room I was watching it though :P
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:15 am

angel_of_death wrote:I'm well aware of how to pirate thanks :P I just prefer not to :)

You could've just said that in the first place :lol:

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:30 pm

watched House OF Flying Daggers recently, which was all kinds of awesome.

Also watched the anime Spirited Away recently, which was all kinds of wierd.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:31 pm

The Amazing Spider-Man - Probably a little better than Raimi's first attempt but still bogged down by a slow start, a fairly crap villain, some seriously shonky CGI, but most of all - the inescapable problem of repetition inherent with rebooting a story already re-imagined for the big screen only a few years ago.
This over-familiarity with the plot means any drama is immediately sucked from the screen - most noticeably when Uncle Ben is killed. Any sense of of tension and sympathy is replaced with a nonchalant shrug and an "Oh, this is where Ben gets it then" the moment he leaves the house.
And don't get me stared on that stupid skateboarding sequence...

6/10

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Darkweasel wrote:The Amazing Spider-Man - Probably a little better than Raimi's first attempt but still bogged down by a slow start, a fairly crap villain, some seriously shonky CGI, but most of all - the inescapable problem of repetition inherent with rebooting a story already re-imagined for the big screen only a few years ago.
This over-familiarity with the plot means any drama is immediately sucked from the screen - most noticeably when Uncle Ben is killed. Any sense of of tension and sympathy is replaced with a nonchalant shrug and an "Oh, this is where Ben gets it then" the moment he leaves the house.
And don't get me stared on that stupid skateboarding sequence...

6/10

In all honesty, I havent heard anyone say anything nice about it. You want to wonder why they are making a sequel but it did make them some money. Maybe they will improve on the faults but it doesn't sound like it will change much for the sequel.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Luke_X wrote:In all honesty, I havent heard anyone say anything nice about it. You want to wonder why they are making a sequel but it did make them some money. Maybe they will improve on the faults but it doesn't sound like it will change much for the sequel.

I don't know why they're bothering either. In two films time, Garfield and Stone will be big names, won't want to continue, and they'll end up having to reboot the whole thing yet again.

RESIDENT EVIL: RETRIBUTION
What an absolute fucking shambles.

Please God, make them stop/10

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 pm

Luke_X wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:The Amazing Spider-Man

In all honesty, I havent heard anyone say anything nice about it. You want to wonder why they are making a sequel but it did make them some money. Maybe they will improve on the faults but it doesn't sound like it will change much for the sequel.

I did. Really liked it ( and to be fair it's got mostly positive reviews. Even Mark Kermode enjoyed it ). I thought it captured the spirit of the original comics well and don't really see the fuss about the Lizard. The scenes where he rants and mutters to himself in the sewers were perfect. I also thought the 2 leads were excellent...probably enjoyed this more than Dark Knight Returns tbh.

As for why they're making a sequel...considering the positive critical and commercial reaction (7.3/10 on IMDB, 73% critics and 81% users on rotten tomatoes ), the fact it more than tripled it's budget in box office takings ( $700 million worldwide ) and that Sony will lose the rights if they don't make more films....I'd be more amazed if they weren't making one!!