movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
dobbsey
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: movies

Postby dobbsey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:04 pm

Dan Jenkins wrote:
dobbsey wrote:The Big Lebowski is a utter classic :)

Legendary movie, nice one Dobbsey, or Dobbser, or El Dobbserino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

ill go by any name so its fine with me :)

Me, just watched clerks for about the 50th time
i can never see this film getting old for me
its just a classic
best script ever imo

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:55 pm

Got Cloverfield for crimbo and thouroughly enjoyed it, despite the slating it got.
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:08 pm

lars_ulrichs_blister wrote:Got Cloverfield for crimbo and thouroughly enjoyed it, despite the slating it got.

When I saw that at the cinema with some friends, the general concensus seemed to be "This will work better on DVD than it does in the cinema". The film is designed to look like it's been filmed on a camcorder and so it seems out of place on the big screen - which probably played a major part in the slating it got from the critics.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:14 pm

Bit lethargic this afternoon, so finally sat down and watched the Right Stuff. Its a three hour film, but really didn't feel like it. Great film.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Just got back from seeing The Spirit, I would recommend that nobody else do the same thing, weird doesn't describe this film, i don't think they actually knew what type of film they were making tbh :|

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:33 pm

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:Just got back from seeing The Spirit, I would recommend that nobody else do the same thing, weird doesn't describe this film, i don't think they actually knew what type of film they were making tbh :|

One of my mates was suggesting we go and see that on Saturday. Given its scores on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes, me being busy that night might be a good thing. That said, its IMDB user rating isn't too bad, so if there's nothing else on and my mate is REALLY keen to see it, I might give it a chance at a later date.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:53 pm

MetalBeast wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:Just got back from seeing The Spirit, I would recommend that nobody else do the same thing, weird doesn't describe this film, i don't think they actually knew what type of film they were making tbh :|

One of my mates was suggesting we go and see that on Saturday. Given its scores on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes, me being busy that night might be a good thing. That said, its IMDB user rating isn't too bad, so if there's nothing else on and my mate is REALLY keen to see it, I might give it a chance at a later date.

It looks superb, really well made, but it's not action packed enough for an action movie, not clever enough for a cop film, and not funny enough for a comedy, even though some scenes were bloody hilarious, and intentionally so, i'd give it a 5/10

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:08 pm

I love No Country for Old Men
see it (Y)

Weird ending which once i watch it several more times i'll probly understand more,
but I loved the film
9/10

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:06 am

MetalBeast wrote:

IMDB ratings are movie goers...rotten tomatoes are professional critics...most of my fave films have been given bad reviews by the critics.
I'll prob go see The Spirit if I get the time, although I couldn't get into Sin City, so same will probably go here!

raremens
Consort of the Beast

Postby raremens » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:57 pm

L: change the world, was really good. But i think i am now biased as i have now completly fallen for L, such a good actor and great character. It didnt really have anything to do with death note. Though a great stoy by itself.

The strangers. Very bad boring movie, 40 minutes in and i was still bored to tears, skipped through it a bit and nothing changed much. I recommned nobody watch this unless you need to be sent to sleep :p

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:58 pm

THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES

It seems this little mockumentary has been convincing some people into thinking it's a factual account of serial killings from the Poughkeepsie area during the mid-nineties.
It's not. In fact, by throwing up a lot of confusion and ambiguity, it seems to have succeeded in creating another Blair Witch Project type of situation, where, for a while at least, a lot of people were taken in by the release of "disturbing material found on video". Whether it will be to the extent of The Blair Witch remains to be seen if it actually gets a cinema release or goes directly to DVD outside the states.

In this story, a box of videos are found by the police containing graphic images of kidnap, torture, necrophilia, dismemberment, mutilation and murder.
Filmed as a fairly well-financed documentary, it does it's job well and comes across very realistically for the most part.
The performances from the "relatives" and "experts" range from the excellent down to the amateurish but that only seems to add to the films (dubious) charm.
The videotapes themselves are deliberately distorted and poor quality but that too only serves to create a very uneasy atmosphere. However, the misuse of spooky incidental music during a couple of scenes only serves to remind you that it is only a film.
Things take a bit of an almost surreal twist near the end with some very creepy moments, all of which will no doubt be reconciled with a sequel (apparently, it was originally planned as a trilogy).

Overall, I'd say it's well worth watching but I'd be very surprised if any girlfriends/wives etc. stayed the course. Personally (and at the risk of being horribly sexist), although it's not really that gory, I reckon it's a bit too sick and twisted for the average female.

raremens
Consort of the Beast

Postby raremens » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:10 pm

haha, i think that film will be perfect for me! gorey, twisted, sick things always interests me quite a bit and im a girl too(im sure you could tell from the avater pic)

off to download it :D

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:11 am

raremens wrote:haha, i think that film will be perfect for me! gorey, twisted, sick things always interests me quite a bit and im a girl too(im sure you could tell from the avater pic)

Posing as you are with a samurai sword, I don't think I could class you as an "average female" anyway so you're probably quite safe. :lol:
Quick note: I found it on Mininova. It says on the file that it's only 50mins long but that's just a mistake and it does actually run the full 1hr 24min length.

raremens
Consort of the Beast

Postby raremens » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:15 am

Darkweasel wrote:
raremens wrote:haha, i think that film will be perfect for me! gorey, twisted, sick things always interests me quite a bit and im a girl too(im sure you could tell from the avater pic)

Posing as you are with a samurai sword, I don't think I could class you as an "average female" anyway so you're probably quite safe. :lol:
Quick note: I found it on Mininova. It says on the file that it's only 50mins long but that's just a mistake and it does actually run the full 1hr 24min length.

miniove is that a site where i can download it from? im using btjunkie at the moment and there are no seeders so stuck at 30 % download, and i reallly want to see it.

p.s and thanks for the compliment :D

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:31 am

raremens wrote:miniove is that a site where i can download it from? im using btjunkie at the moment and there are no seeders so stuck at 30 % download, and i reallly want to see it.

p.s and thanks for the compliment :D

:D
Yeah, I use Mininova and Isohunt usually. The one on Mininova had a handful of seeds a couple of days ago and it downloaded really quite fast. If Your BT Junkie one doesn't pick up soon, give that one a go. (It's a 1.65Gb size file btw).