movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Danny Mik
Powermetal Child

Re: movies

Postby Danny Mik » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:07 pm

kaosweaver20 wrote:I really, really want to go and watch Alpha Papa tomorrow. Nobody to go with, though. So do I go on my own? :lol:

It great, he's almost, un-partridged alan though. a bit more sterile than the untimo cringefest i was hoping for. was great

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Danny Mik wrote:
kaosweaver20 wrote:I really, really want to go and watch Alpha Papa tomorrow. Nobody to go with, though. So do I go on my own? :lol:

It great, he's almost, un-partridged alan though. a bit more sterile than the untimo cringefest i was hoping for. was great

Wait, what? How can it be great if he's un-Partridged? :lol:

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:38 pm

Ghost wrote:Can't believe they're making Expendables 3. Mel Gibson what are you doing you crazy loveable racist!

I'm just hoping the Jackie Chan rumours pan out. Mel Gibson hasnt made a good film since leathal weapon 2.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:52 am

Luke_X wrote:
Ghost wrote:Can't believe they're making Expendables 3. Mel Gibson what are you doing you crazy loveable racist!

I'm just hoping the Jackie Chan rumours pan out. Mel Gibson hasnt made a good film since leathal weapon 2.

Watch Get the Gringo.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:49 am

Luke_X wrote:

One word for you Mr...........Signs!

I thought I'd read Chan has dropped out. Might be wrong though.
I see the bad moon arising.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:22 pm

Decent quality Man of Steel has been released.

Lead has a great superman voice and look. Great pick.

The Zod v Superman fight didn't last nearly as long as people seemed to suggest it would.

A shit load of action, and CGI seems to finally be cottoning on that PEOPLE HAVE JOINTS. So the CGI looked good.

Good set up for a Justice League movie.

7.5/10.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:29 am

Watched the Last Stand expecting it to be as bad as Arnie's late nineties films but it was actually quite good.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Ghost wrote:Watched the Last Stand expecting it to be as bad as Arnie's late nineties films but it was actually quite good.

Yeah, I liked it. Good humoured B movie fun.

Recently got through:

Welcome To The Punch - alright, nicely filmed (London looked like Tron) let down by James MacAvoy's weak burned out cop efforts 6/10
Trance - A better turn from Macavoy - fun, flashy thriller from Danny Boyle 7/10
Place Beyond The Pines - The bits in the ads are over very quickly, then its onto another story, then a third set of characters. Bit contrived, but a nice grungey grimness about it 7/10
Gamer - awful 1/10
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:37 pm

How I spent my summer vacation - a nice low budget film from Mel Gibson. Props to him for not using CGI blood. I'm getting bored with that now. 7/10

The Green Mile - about an hour too long for me. Way too much time spent on character development, way too much waffling and no real time exploring John Coffee or his powers. However, I can see why people love this film so much although I'm dying to know when Tom Hanks dies. 8/10

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:52 pm

I'd disagree there. Green Mile, for me, is an absolutely cracking film, start to finish. Solid 10.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm not saying it was bad just a little too long. The acting was superb and the story, although it dawdled at the beginning, was fantastic from half way onwards. The whole mouse thing seemed a little more than just a device to prolong the film. Michael Clarke Duncan (rip) though deserved an Oscar for his performance.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:06 pm

I think I love the movie so much because I read the book first and really enjoyed it, and the film is extremely faithful to it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:27 am

THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD

Four short stories from 1971 about a detective looking into the history of deaths at a country house.

1. Denholm Elliott plays a horror author who invents a strangler for his latest book but is terrified when his creation seemingly comes to life.
A very creepy story that Stephen King surely drew inspiration from for the The Dark Half.

2. Peter Cushing and Joss Ackland visit a waxworks museum and see a face from their past as one of the exhibits. Decent little story but nothing special.

3. A home tutor hired to teach a little girl notices the father (Christopher Lee) is actually terrified of his daughter.
Typically full-on performance from Lee but is still out-acted by the evil kiddie.

4. Actor Jon Pertwee buys a vampire's cloak from a costume shop. A very silly and surprsingly self referential little story where Pertwee gets to ham it up like a loony and Ingrid Pitt shows her cleavage at every opportunity.

A good little anthology from Hammer's rivals, Amicus, where the only glaringly obvious flaw is the sequencing of the stories. There's a definite lull after the first story, and finishing the piece with a daft comedy completely destroys everything that has gone before, the final part of the wraparound story becoming an absolute mess because of it.

6/10

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:51 am

Off to Frightfest on Saturday. 14 hours in a cinema........mental. God knows how the people that go for the whole five days do it, their arses must start morphing into the seat.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:24 am

Ghost wrote:Off to Frightfest on Saturday. 14 hours in a cinema........mental. God knows how the people that go for the whole five days do it, their arses must start morphing into the seat.

You doing just the one day?

Big Bad Wolves is on the Monday and it's utterly fantastic.