movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:41 pm

JRP1349 wrote:
Soze wrote:Disney have now claimed the spear was never in the UK theatrical release!!

I'm sure it was in the cinema version, probably quickly edited so as to make it a brief shot.
If it has been removed totally from the dvd version then it could be a distributor decision, for example The Hunger Games when it was released at the cinema, the BBFC where shown a version that was slightly more bloody in scenes, they offered the distributor a full uncut 15 certificate, but because this would eliminate part of the target audience, the distributor came back with a version slightly altered removing blood splatter from the film and lessening the violence to gain the 12 certificate. Half the time distributors a more than willing to alter scenes, lessen violence to gain a lower rating, as this guarantees more box office revenue.

This isn't what happened here...the BBFC actually mention this scene in their report and say it's OK. They gave the film a 12 with that scene in it...and then it's been removed. Disney claim it was never in the UK theatrical release but it definitely was, by all accounts the BBFC are looking into it as this breaks some sort of code.

It's not a big deal, we're talking a second edit ( not even a cut ) but it does detract from the scene. I've seen people say they're going to import from the US because of it but it's hardly worth the extra tenner. I just get fed up with getting the raw end of the deal with UK releases, I bought the 1st season of Walking Dead the other week and it has several cuts in it which aren't cut on the US version ( and crazily the cut scenes all crop up in the making of documentary! ).

Green Man
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:47 pm

JRP1349 wrote:
Jobdone wrote:
Soze wrote:
Stephen King would disagree, he hated Kubrick's version.

Yeah I heard that.

King wanted it to be more about the supernatural whilst Kubrick wanted to keep it mainly founded in "This dude is going fucking crazy, humans are fucked up"

Love The Shining, probably the only time ive prefered a film over the book. Also if you like it then this might be of interest, ROOM 237 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085910/) comes out at the end of October, a documentary about The Shining and the various meanings in the film, sounds great.
Also i think they are releasing an extended version of The Shining soon, if its the one im thinking of it will be the 142 minute cut of the film, which i remember seeing on itv in 1991 or thereabouts.

Sweet! I'm going to have to watch all of that!

I'm the kind of person that finds a film I think is a Masterpiece and then watch it over and over again, awed everytime, moreso than watching new films.

Here's another film that your life is not complete unless you watch it:

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:01 pm

^ Bought that for a couple of quid last week, may watch it this evening. Got that Ardman Pirates thing to watch aswell, so it will depend on my mood
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Great film

Although it does all turn a bit Friday the 13th indestructible psycho.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:08 pm

I love the Green Lantern film, I know nothing of the comic books so have nothing to compare it too, but the film I just think is brilliant, in fact I preferred this to Thor :|

Green Man
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Andrewhall28 wrote:I love the Green Lantern film, I know nothing of the comic books so have nothing to compare it too, but the film I just think is brilliant, in fact I preferred this to Thor :|

I haven't watched the Thor one yet. Waiting till I find it for free because my expectations are exceptionally low.

I liked Green Lantern only because I so desperately wanted to see a Green Lantern film. The story was shit but it was just so cool to finally see this film finally made. I hope there is a sequel just because this is the super hero that should get more films. And a Justice League film would be cool too.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Thor was also very good, a lot of fun, but it's the sequel i'm most looking forard to because it's going in a direction that really speaks to my personal interests :)

Bizza
Paster of Muppets

Postby Bizza » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:41 pm

BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19, '21, '22, '23.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:06 pm

I really enjoyed Thor, it was the film that would have been easiest to fuck up but it turned out great fun. Some complained it was a little small scale but I think that reflected the budget ( and it was part based on J M Straczynski's brilliant run on the comics ). The sequel looks great, especially if the rumours of a Dr Strange cameo come true!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Thor is easily the best film of the Phase 1 marvel films. Phase 2 is already looking amazing based on the pics of iron man 3 and Thor:Dark World. I don't know if Strange will be, but considering his amulet was visible in the first Thor film, and he could play a role against Thanos if he is presented in Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers 2, but it might be wishful thinking. But he has been heavily rumoured and I think a cameo style role, like Coulsen, would suit the character better.

Ant-Man seems to be getting more of a push as well to come out before Avengers 2 but no word if he would be linked to the main story. Falcon will be present in the next Captain america :winter soldier film. So the next Avengers film could be on a massivly epic scale of super heroes. I'd still put money on Red Skull returning at some point as well, possibly more likely in Avengers 2 or 3.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:11 am

Tron Legacy

Soulless, hollow sequel with some awful CGI, a horrifying script and dreadful acting, but a great music score.
3/10

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Tron Legacy

Soulless, hollow sequel with some awful CGI, a horrifying script and dreadful acting, but a great music score.
3/10

apart from the face on clue, I thought the CGI in Tron Legacy was acceptional :|

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Andrewhall28 wrote:

3/10

apart from the face on clue, I thought the CGI in Tron Legacy was acceptional :|

Bridges' ridiculous face was hilarious almost to the point of being unwatchable. I can understand it looking that way in the game section of the film, but at the beginning in his kid's bedroom it looked hideous. A simple change of framing and lighting was all that was necessary, not the needless inclusion of a stupid video game face.

That was my main gripe, and yes, I admit a lot of the effects were fine (in fact, the explosions when people were destroyed were brilliant), but some of the motorbike chase at the start looked wrong, there was so much slow motion during fight scenes that even the Wachowski Brothers and John Woo said enough was enough, and the one thing that computers still can't accurately replicate is how humans move.

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Dredd 3D - really enjoyable, good action and OTT violence .... though you kind've knew where the plot was heading when it all went lockdown :lol:
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS

Green Man
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:49 am

3/10

I saw the first one in the cinema when it first came out. I couldn't bring myself to watch this "sequel". Your 3/10 just confirms my hunch that this wouldn't have been worth my time.