movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Re: movies

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:37 pm

I watched Iron Man 1 and 2 back to back last night and Avengers Assemble

Iron Man was just streets ahead of the other 2 for me, with Iron Man 2 and Avengers being on the same fun level

I will say, watching Avengers made me want a Hawkeye film, that guy is awesome, I thought he was damn good in the new Bourne film aswell

overall

Iron Man 9.5/10
Iron Man 2 8/10
Avengers 8/10

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:00 pm

I think Avengers is the best comic book movie ever, I'd go as far as to say it's the best blockbuster movie since the 80s heyday and the likes of Indiana Jones, Back to the Future and Ghostbusters.

Iron Man is also a great film but Whedon's writing on Avengers sets it a class above for me, full of wit and wonder. Iron Man 2 is the worst of all of Marvel's recent 'phase 1' films but still pretty good.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Personally I think The Dark Knight is more my style of film, so rate it as the best comic film adaptation, but I am a Batman nut, and love dark styled movies

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Watched Avengers again: decent film tho' over long and bit too 'space monsters' for me. Didn't like Thor much, so this dragged it down, but the bit where the Hulk punches him cracks me up.

Of all of them, I'd go:

Iron Man - 8/10
Iron Man 2/Avengers - 7/10
CA - 6/10
Thor - 5/10
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Thor was the best. I can't for the sequel next year its going to be epic! And IM3 is sounding awesome for its new direction. Here's my list

Avengers 9.9/10 (I'm taking off .1 for caps stupid suit it looks horrible)
Thor 9/10
Incredible Hulk 9/10
Iron Man 8.5/10
Captain America 8/10
Iron Man 2 7.5/10

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Andrewhall28 wrote:Personally I think The Dark Knight is more my style of film, so rate it as the best comic film adaptation, but I am a Batman nut, and love dark styled movies

I'm a big fan of horror films, and usually get pissed off if they end on a happy note. So I'd say I like dark stuff :lol: I loved the first 2 Nolan Batman films, the third had one too much irritating nonsense for my liking but it was still entertaining.

I can take nonsense from something like The Avengers but when Batman tries so hard to root itself in a realistic world it bugs me a bit more. So Batman recovering so well from a broken back, flying home from India with no money or transport and wandering into a city that's completely cut off form the world with no apparent problem...bothers me. Not to mention Bane's ridiculously convoluted plan. I'm looking forward to seeing it again but I can't possibly see myself watching it as often as recent Marvel films. Which are just big dollops of fun.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:43 am

I definitely don't think Nolan had fun in mind when making the last film, he got that tone of despair and no hope spot on, the scene with the people hung from the bridge was especially powerful, I can't compare it to Avengers because of the tone, they aim for different things

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Andrewhall28 wrote:I definitely don't think Nolan had fun in mind when making the last film, he got that tone of despair and no hope spot on, the scene with the people hung from the bridge was especially powerful, I can't compare it to Avengers because of the tone, they aim for different things

Oh I agree with this, I never suggested that the Batman films were trying to ( or indeed should be ) fun. I was just irritated by some of the basic stupidities in the plot. I like pretty much all of Nolan's films, I admire him as a film maker but just think this had some annoying flaws. My expectations were pretty high mind.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:21 pm

I think TDKR was good but it didn't hit me as much as TDK did. Being a massive Batman fan, I'm hoping they decide to look more into Batman's detective side as that was lacking very much for me. He is after all a detective.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Luke_X wrote:I think TDKR was good but it didn't hit me as much as TDK did. Being a massive Batman fan, I'm hoping they decide to look more into Batman's detective side as that was lacking very much for me. He is after all a detective.

Sadly I can see them going back in a fun Brave and The Bold direction for this next film, they have had the uber serious, now comes the camp :(

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Well if warner bros still plan on making a justice league film before the next Batman film, then chances it will be very comic bookey in order to fit in that universe and style. But it might open the films up to exploring villains like Clayface, Killer Croc and Solomon Grundy.
Last edited by Luke_X on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Luke_X wrote:Well if warner bros still plan on making a justice league film before the next Batman film, then chances it will be very comic bookey in order to fit in that universe and style. But it Kyle open the films up to exploring villains like Clayface, Killer Croc and Solomon Grundy.

As long as it's done right and not like Batman and Robin, i'd still go and see Batman films in that universe quite happily, I just don't want it to be shit :lol:

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 pm

Luke_X wrote:Thor was the best. I can't for the sequel next year its going to be epic! And IM3 is sounding awesome for its new direction. Here's my list

I agree with this, thor is easily the best of the stand alone films, my list would go

Avengers: 10/10
Thor 9/10
Iron Man 8.5/10
Captain America 8/10
Hulk 7.5/10
Iron Man 2 6.5/10

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:34 pm

I enjoyed Thor, but I wanted more of the other worlds stuff, I think it lost it abit once it went to Earth

Cap America, I need to watch again, but I have never been a fan of that character

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:31 am

Andrewhall28 wrote:I enjoyed Thor, but I wanted more of the other worlds stuff, I think it lost it abit once it went to Earth

Cap America, I need to watch again, but I have never been a fan of that character

Yeah I do agree with you there, the scene with the Ice giants was pure brilliance, I still did really enjoy it as a film but as you said it would have been better if more of it was based in the other worlds, I think that's what they plan to do for the new one.
I change my statement for thor to 8.5 rather than 9