movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
Killing_time
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: movies

Postby Killing_time » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:04 pm

The Dark Knight Rises could have been an hour shorter most of it seemed like filler that was completely unnecessary.

The opening scene was the best bit.
Image

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

User avatar
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!
Posts: 4293
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:17 am

Re: movies

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:13 pm

The Baytown Outlaws - Enjoyable action/comedy, in the style of Tarantino or Rodriguez. Nothing you haven't seen before, but action packed & an overall fun movie to kill 90 minutes. 7.5/10.

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7771
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Delightful-Jim wrote:Avengers and Cabin In The Woods are still my top 2 films of the year so far.

I still need to see Wreck-It Ralph, 7 Psychopaths and The Hobit though. :D


I'd rate 10 movies I've seen this year at 8/10 or above....Avengers, The Angels' Share, God Bless America, The Cabin in the Woods, The Amazing Spiderman, Moonknight Kingdom, The Dark Knight Rises, Dredd, Cockneys Vs Zombies and The Muppets.

Quite a lot I haven't seen yet though...don't think Wreck It Ralph is getting a 2012 UK release.

User avatar
Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon
Posts: 5258
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Some non-descript village in Ireland

Re: movies

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Soze wrote:
Delightful-Jim wrote:Avengers and Cabin In The Woods are still my top 2 films of the year so far.

I still need to see Wreck-It Ralph, 7 Psychopaths and The Hobit though. :D


I'd rate 10 movies I've seen this year at 8/10 or above....Avengers, The Angels' Share, God Bless America, The Cabin in the Woods, The Amazing Spiderman, Moonknight Kingdom, The Dark Knight Rises, Dredd, Cockneys Vs Zombies and The Muppets.

Quite a lot I haven't seen yet though...don't think Wreck It Ralph is getting a 2012 UK release.


I didn't see too many films this year sadly, including the Muppets. Still sad I missed that.

I quite enjoyed Spiderman and TDKR though, but not THAT much.

Dredd was good yeah?
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

User avatar
Luke_X
Denim Demon
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: movies

Postby Luke_X » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Dredd was nothing short of amazing. Truly the surprise film for me. I'd go as far to say it was way more enjoyable to watch than TDKR.

User avatar
skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2736
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Accessing the Acropolis

Re: movies

Postby skull-wart » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Moonburp wrote:Worst film of 2012 is The Lorax. No arguments.

Didn't rock of Ages come out this year, I thought the lorax was okay - It's based of Seuss so it can't be that bad. Badly directed maybe, but you can't blame the concept.
Image
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

User avatar
Moonburp
Denim Demon
Posts: 15325
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Moonburp » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:24 pm

skull-wart wrote:
Moonburp wrote:Worst film of 2012 is The Lorax. No arguments.

Didn't rock of Ages come out this year, I thought the lorax was okay - It's based of Seuss so it can't be that bad. Badly directed maybe, but you can't blame the concept.

No. It completely shat all over the book's message. The Lorax book is incredible. The Lorax film is horrible.
Fjar wrote:I can't tell if she's got sun cream on or she's getting crusty round the edges..

I WRITE THINGS
last.fm

User avatar
Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon
Posts: 5258
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Some non-descript village in Ireland

Re: movies

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 pm

skull-wart wrote:
Moonburp wrote:Worst film of 2012 is The Lorax. No arguments.

Didn't rock of Ages come out this year, I thought the lorax was okay - It's based of Seuss so it can't be that bad. Badly directed maybe, but you can't blame the concept.



:lol:

Yeah, I completely forgot about Cock of Ages! Cheers for the reminder :yes:


Easily the worst film I've seen all year actually, never mind Ghost Rider. :lol:
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

User avatar
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!
Posts: 4293
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:17 am

Re: movies

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:03 pm

I think the Red Dawn remake, might have something to say about that worst movie of 2012 title & that's up against John Carter, Resident Evil, Total Recall & Battleship.

User avatar
Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:32 am
Location: FINCHAM

Re: movies

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:38 am

worst film I have seen this year is Alex Cross, I walked out after an hour, and that Miss Bala I lasted 50 minutes, it was just boring :|

User avatar
Luke_X
Denim Demon
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: movies

Postby Luke_X » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 am

I think the reason Alex Cross didn't work is cas they replaced Morgan Freeman with some random black guy.

User avatar
AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon
Posts: 18671
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:52 am
Location: Leigh
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 am

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:I think the Red Dawn remake, might have something to say about that worst movie of 2012 title & that's up against John Carter, Resident Evil, Total Recall & Battleship.

They remade Red Dawn? I know the original isn't perfect, it's a bit rough around the edges and felt a bit thrown together, and I do get the feeling it was a product of cold war paranoia, but there was a certain charm to it. But I don't think it really needs to be remade. Surely you could tell a similar story without being lazy and stealing an existing plot.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

User avatar
Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:32 am
Location: FINCHAM

Re: movies

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 am

Luke_X wrote:I think the reason Alex Cross didn't work is cas they replaced Morgan Freeman with some random black guy.


Badly acted, film looked like a bad episode of NCIS, pace was too slow, I could go on :lol:

John Carter however, I bloody love, it's awesome ecapism :yes:

Total Recall wasn't bad either, just unnecessary, and Battleship was a perfect OTT popcorn movie made for the cinema, but I wouldn't say a bad film by any stretch, especially visually

User avatar
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!
Posts: 4293
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:17 am

Re: movies

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:30 am

AnnihiSlateR wrote:
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:I think the Red Dawn remake, might have something to say about that worst movie of 2012 title & that's up against John Carter, Resident Evil, Total Recall & Battleship.

They remade Red Dawn? I know the original isn't perfect, it's a bit rough around the edges and felt a bit thrown together, and I do get the feeling it was a product of cold war paranoia, but there was a certain charm to it. But I don't think it really needs to be remade. Surely you could tell a similar story without being lazy and stealing an existing plot.



That applies to most remakes unfortunately. They only go for well known stories or cult classics, so that the can acquire an audience. Or foreign films, because god forbid you have to read subtitles.

I know it's about making profit & they wouldn't do it unless it made them money. But updating decent obscure films, doesn't seem to have crossed their minds.

Instead, as already discussed on these forums, a long list of remakes or sequels of classics is far, far easier.

This makes interesting reading, http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/upcoming-movie-remakes/. I may not like every film there, but there are only 1 or 2 in my eyes, that needs a remake. Surely the money is better spent on promoting new writers & scripts.

User avatar
Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:32 am
Location: FINCHAM

Re: movies

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:39 am

Hmmm, well I agree most are unnecessary, but I will reserve judgement until I see them, Robocop looks great, but whether the actual film will be, remains to be seen

Dredd I want to see, but as it wasn't released in 2d at the cineam I am yet to, it did look like a futuristic version of The Raid mind you, oh which is being remade in the US too, and the guy that directed it is writing it, and then doing part 2 back in Thailand :lol: