movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
someone else
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby someone else » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:44 am

Andrewhall28 wrote:
Luke_X wrote:I think the reason Alex Cross didn't work is cas they replaced Morgan Freeman with some random black guy.

Badly acted, film looked like a bad episode of NCIS,

The source books are very much like this - particularly the later ones.

Worst film of the year: Machine Gun Preacher hands down.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 am

someone else wrote:
Andrewhall28 wrote:
Luke_X wrote:I think the reason Alex Cross didn't work is cas they replaced Morgan Freeman with some random black guy.

Badly acted, film looked like a bad episode of NCIS, pace was too slow, I could go on :lol:

I didn't think that was bad at all, the religious stuff annoyed me, but the overall film, pretty good, I think he's a a damn good actor anyway :|

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:48 am

Andrewhall28 wrote:Dredd I want to see, but as it wasn't released in 2d at the cineam I am yet to, it did look like a futuristic version of The Raid mind you, oh which is being remade in the US too, and the guy that directed it is writing it, and then doing part 2 back in Thailand :lol:

A few people said that just before Dredd came out/when it was new out. Apparently the script was finished before The Raid started shooting, though?

As for the US remake of The Raid, I'll probably skip it. For me, The Raid worked because it was from a country/society where martial arts are hugely influential in life, so it made sense for the characters to know how to fight. Whereas a US remake would literally just be like Dredd - all the characters would know is how to shoot people in the face.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:51 am

well with the original director on board, it may not be horrendous, but yeah i'm more looking forward to the Thai sequel, I find it hilarious that the director is Welsh mind you, Merantu Warrior was damn good too :lol:

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 am

The only films from that list, that should be remade are/where Judge Dredd & About Last Night, because they are shite.

Every other film, is either fine how it is or should be left alone warts & all.

The only acceptable reason to remake some of these, is if people turn around & whine about watching B&W or anything older than about 50 years. I can't understand why they would complain, but if that's the only way to get them to watch some classic films then it's just about ok.

9 times out of 10, I will stick with the original, but end up watching the remake through some morbid fascination or boredom.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 am

I think it's brilliant that a Welsh bloke is making Thai movies - especially ones as good as The Raid! Everything about that film worked, and I really don't get why it needs a fucking remake. The blu-ray has the option of dubbing for fuck's sake!

As for that list, the following can fuck off:
Pet Semetary
An American Werewolf in London
Short Circuit
The Crow
Robocop
Child's Play
NeverEnding Story
The Warriors

The originals were fine.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Applecore wrote:I think it's brilliant that a Welsh bloke is making Thai movies - especially ones as good as The Raid! Everything about that film worked, and I really don't get why it needs a fucking remake. The blu-ray has the option of dubbing for fuck's sake!

He talks about it on the bluray, it came about because the US theatrical version has a different soundtrack to it than the original, the guy from Linkin Park does the US soundtrack, and that film got a lot of praise in the US, so they have bought the rights to the remake, he thinks it's funny as he spent years trying to get funding for a film in the US, and he ends up getting one of his originals re-made :lol:

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Applecore wrote:The Crow

out of the lot this is the only 1 I care about, because the original the guy that wrote the comic walked away from and has never wanted anything to do with the franchise, if they get him on board, this could be great

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Andrewhall28 wrote:
someone else wrote:
Badly acted, film looked like a bad episode of NCIS, pace was too slow, I could go on :lol:

I didn't think that was bad at all, the religious stuff annoyed me, but the overall film, pretty good, I think he's a a damn good actor anyway :|[/quote]

Just one of those odious films where the US values of guns and God trump everything, even when they make things worse (as they appeared to do in real life - the organisations involved asked for all references to them to be removed from the film). It didn't work as a action film, and it was too narcistic and in love with the concept to be critical of the character (everyone else, from his family to the charity worker is seen as self serving and wrong) and it just seemed to be Bulters vanity peice (he was producer as well)- as an actor he makes Russell Crowe look like Olivier - every painful 'emoting' scene he just looks confused. He should just stick to hitting things and grunting.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Well he does a lot of comedy films aswell, I like him, but yeah the film was right up its own arse for sure, and like I said the religious stuff was way ott, but the actual person who it was about had a lot to do with the film, and God is his driving force, not a film i'd watch again, but far from horrendous :yes:

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Just watched Sucker Punch.

Fun film and some good action + effects.
Ending was disappointing though.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 pm

jamestomo wrote:Just watched Sucker Punch.

Fun film and some good action + effects.
Ending was disappointing though.

That film I followed in the mags for 18 months, all.the interviews, this is an r rated film, it's going to be amazing, then boom, cut, cut, cut :x

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 am

I'm pleased that Sucker Punch was cut. What was on screen was so goddamn awful it would have been horrible to have had to sit through any more.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:51 pm

The Collection - Sequel to The Collector. Quite silly & predictable, but gruesome, bloody & short. At 82min, it's worth a watch if you have seen the original or just want something nasty & dumb to watch. 4.5/10.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:The Collection - Sequel to The Collector. Quite silly & predictable, but gruesome, bloody & short. At 82min, it's worth a watch if you have seen the original or just want something nasty & dumb to watch. 4.5/10.

Loved The Collector, been waiting for this one to come out :yes: