movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Owen
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: movies

Postby Owen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 pm

srs?
Turbo wrote:Got to be honest, in comparison to pizza you can get take away or at restaurants - shop bought pizza is shit. Had another doner kebab pizza today. Shit is off the fucking chain.

GetToTheChoppar
Denim Demon

Postby GetToTheChoppar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:16 pm

I thought it was alright, nout special.
Turbo wrote:Move on, fuck her off. Smoke crack and worship satan.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 pm

I thought Chronicle was ok but didn't really understand all the acclaim it received. I'm probably the only person here disinterested in Django, I hate pretty much everything I've ever seen by Tarantino.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:45 pm

I know plenty of people who hate Tarantino's work, so you're not alone, but I take each film as it comes along on individual merit, I have disliked most of his films I have to admit, I found the Kill Bill films to be insulting to Hong Kong cinema personally, didn't enjoy Reservoir Dogs, but thoroughly enjoyed Grom Dusk Til Dawn and Pulp Fiction, I love westerns, so am hoping this is a good one
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

onona
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby onona » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Podgie. wrote:I've had Django ready to watch for a few days now...

The way you feel nothing to just casually mention that you've downloaded a film off the internet is a really sad sign of the entitlement culture of today. Other people are paying to watch these films - why are you so special that you can just take it for free?

And you can spare me the usual pathetic excuses like "I wouldn't have paid to see it anyway" or "I'm not stealing it, it's just a copy" - you're still taking something you're not entitled to, and as someone who makes a living working in the film industry, people like you who just help themselves to the work of all my peers in my field make me sick. You clearly have zero respect for the film industry and everyone in it. Congratulations on being a selfish, entitled taker.

Furthermore, the fact that no moderator has said anything about this speaks volumes for this site's attitude towards intellectual property. It's hardly fitting for a website that's meant to be promoting the work of artists.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:55 pm

1 in a few million no doubt, I can't get upset over it, that's just the way things are at the moment
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Owen
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Owen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I know plenty of people who hate Tarantino's work, so you're not alone, but I take each film as it comes along on individual merit, I have disliked most of his films I have to admit, I found the Kill Bill films to be insulting to Hong Kong cinema personally, didn't enjoy Reservoir Dogs, but thoroughly enjoyed Grom Dusk Til Dawn and Pulp Fiction, I love westerns, so am hoping this is a good one

Robert Rodriguez did From Dusk Till Dawn
Turbo wrote:Got to be honest, in comparison to pizza you can get take away or at restaurants - shop bought pizza is shit. Had another doner kebab pizza today. Shit is off the fucking chain.

Illwish
Denim Demon

Postby Illwish » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:20 pm

onona wrote:a really sad sign of the entitlement culture of today. Other people are paying to watch these films - why are you so special that you can just take it for free?
It's more a sign that the business model needs to change. I know you can't think rationally about this if your livelyhood depend on it, but give it a go.

We learn from high illegal download figures that people like to download and watch new films in the comfort of their own home. However there is currently no way to do this legally. This is where the industry is retarded, by calling people criminals rather than potential customers. Release the film straight to reasonably priced PPV (first step, ideally we cut out the staggered release shit all together) streaming, and watch revenues skyrocket.

I can totally understand the downloading thing, going to the cinema is a tenners worth of a job minimum these days when you include travel. Bit much, especially when there's a legitimate risk of a film being total shit.

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:23 pm

onona wrote:

The way you feel nothing to just casually mention that you've downloaded a film off the internet is a really sad sign of the entitlement culture of today. Other people are paying to watch these films - why are you so special that you can just take it for free?

And you can spare me the usual pathetic excuses like "I wouldn't have paid to see it anyway" or "I'm not stealing it, it's just a copy" - you're still taking something you're not entitled to, and as someone who makes a living working in the film industry, people like you who just help themselves to the work of all my peers in my field make me sick. You clearly have zero respect for the film industry and everyone in it. Congratulations on being a selfish, entitled taker.

Furthermore, the fact that no moderator has said anything about this speaks volumes for this site's attitude towards intellectual property. It's hardly fitting for a website that's meant to be promoting the work of artists.

The reason nothing's been said is that I'm not in denial. People download stuff illegally now, it happens and there's nothing you or I can do to stop it and removing throw-away comments like that is entirely pointless... not to mention that I'd end up spending all of my time removing references to people listening to albums that haven't been released yet etc, something that I quite frankly don't have the time (or the inclination) to do since I work full-time and I'm currently considering taking on an OU course as well.

In case you hadn't noticed, there is an 'available albums thread' on here, that was set up to stop people posting links to illegally download albums from on here - the removal of which was taking up a lot of my time, not to mention that the links were often active for a fair time before they were seen by myself or someone else from the mod team at the time and removed so there's now a policy whereby any chatter about that kind of stuff is fine as long as no actual links are posted. It's a realistic policy and it works.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:28 pm

onona wrote:

Well if movies came out in a streamable format for a low price at the same time as cinema release, I wouldn't.

Instead, I'm looking at upto 6 months, sometimes more, after a film has been released at a theater where I'd be paying 7-9 quid + whatever travel.

I haven't illegally downloaded a game in forever, because steam is there.

If the movie industry ever wants to move with the times, they have a willing customer right here.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Word.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 pm

So much for the cinema experience, I for one don't have a 30 ft plus tv with 10 surround sound speakers in my front room, the idea of losing cinema to streaming is too much to take, I find it disgusting to be honest, and this the film may be shit argument, eh ?, just rent it for £3.50 when it comes out then, but something maybe not being good is just part of life, I don't want film to be destroyed because of illegal downloading

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:18 am

...and you won't lose it, at least until it becomes the norm to have fucking huge TV screens in your house ;)
There's a good argument for saying the whole 'Hollywood' film industry has done more harm to independent cinema than a tiny percentage of people illegally streaming huge multi-million dollar films will ever do anyway.

onona

Postby onona » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:21 am

Illwish wrote:It's more a sign that the business model needs to change.

This is an extraordinarily feeble response. It's like suggesting that people should put bars on all their windows if they don't want to get burgled - it's basically putting the onus on the honest person, essentially absolving the one who is breaking the law of responsibility.

The business model shouldn't have to change just because some people feel they can take whatever the hell they like. Films are luxuries, unnecessary for day-to-day life, and already highly accessible. It's not hard to go to your local cinema to watch one of the latest films - people don't download films because its hard to go to the cinema, they download films because they're cheapskates.

I know you can't think rationally about this if your livelyhood depend on it, but give it a go.

Oh, I'm being irrational, am I? Indeed it's you who is unable to see my perspective as your livelihood isn't at stake.

We learn from high illegal download figures that people like to download and watch new films in the comfort of their own home. However there is currently no way to do this legally.

As I said above, people don't NEED the latest films. Personally I rather dislike most cinemas so usually wait for the DVD or Blu-ray release before watching, which isn't a very long wait these days.

What we learn from the high illegal downloads is that people are cheapskates, as I said above. Why pay when you can get it for free? Sadly, that's how people increasingly think about all creative pursuits. Music, films, games - it's just a big freeloading free-for-all for people who have zero respect for the people who made the stuff. This has nothing to do with business models and everything to do with greed and entitlement.

This is where the industry is retarded, by calling people criminals rather than potential customers. Release the film straight to reasonably priced PPV (first step, ideally we cut out the staggered release shit all together) streaming, and watch revenues skyrocket.

People DON'T download because things are difficult to get. People download because we live in a culture where people feel entitled to do whatever they want. People who download torrents of films are not potential customers - because they had no intention of paying in the first place.

I can totally understand the downloading thing, going to the cinema is a tenners worth of a job minimum these days when you include travel. Bit much, especially when there's a legitimate risk of a film being total shit.

Then don't take a risk on things. Read reviews from sources you trust and make decisions based on that.

It amazes me how people think nothing to spend £30 on shitty beer at the pub but complain about a £10 film ticket.

onona

Postby onona » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:23 am

Beardy wrote:...and you won't lose it, at least until it becomes the norm to have fucking huge TV screens in your house ;)
There's a good argument for saying the whole 'Hollywood' film industry has done more harm to independent cinema than a tiny percentage of people illegally streaming huge multi-million dollar films will ever do anyway.

Tell that to my friends all over the world who are out of work because of studio cutbacks due to decreasing budgets, blamed on reduced ticket sales and illegal downloading.