movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm

Looks more like Venom to me, and come on the original character was ploddy and slow, this is 2013, hes got to be fast and agile, and also the film has to have its own identity otherwise what's the point in updating it, some films are products of their time, Robocop is one of the few that could be updated successfully in my opinion
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm

Applecore wrote:Whatever happened to originality?

Michael Bay raped it out of existence.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Just found this..

That's saved me the price of a cinema ticket, then.

Andy Hall wrote:Looks more like Venom to me, and come on the original character was ploddy and slow, this is 2013, hes got to be fast and agile, and also the film has to have its own identity otherwise what's the point in updating it, some films are products of their time, Robocop is one of the few that could be updated successfully in my opinion

The only part of that post I'll agree with is that it's 2013.
Most of the appeal of the Robocop character is that he's clunky and slow. It's cheesy but THAT'S WHY IT'S FUN. A fast and agile Robocop takes that fun out and instead it's now just trying to be more of the same shit.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 pm

Applecore wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:Looks more like Venom to me, and come on the original character was ploddy and slow, this is 2013, hes got to be fast and agile, and also the film has to have its own identity otherwise what's the point in updating it, some films are products of their time, Robocop is one of the few that could be updated successfully in my opinion

The only part of that post I'll agree with is that it's 2013.
Most of the appeal of the Robocop character is that he's clunky and slow. It's cheesy but THAT'S WHY IT'S FUN. A fast and agile Robocop takes that fun out and instead it's now just trying to be more of the same shit.

Completely agree. Not all robots would be agile and fast. Robocop is meant to be human mentally so he'd have to feel like his body is alien to him. The slow clunkyness would be original enough to be different. Just look at the trailer for the new Del Toro movie. Big clunky robots look fun. the suit is the most unoriginal thing imaginable. I hope Marvel look closely enough at its design to seeif it breaches the copyright designs of the iron man armor.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:55 pm

I've got a feeling the new Robocop movie will be something that Bixby Snyder wouldn't buy for a dollar.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 pm

So basically none of you want a remake is what you're saying :lol:

I'll go see it and tear in to it if I don't like it afterwards I think
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm definitely going to see it, but I'm expecting it to be missing many of the things that made the original so great.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 pm

MetalBeast wrote:I'm definitely going to see it, but I'm expecting it to be missing many of the things that made the original so great.

I'm hoping it does personally. Otherwise you have 2 versions of the same film just 1 less violent or Total Recall, which would have been fine if the Arnie film didn't exist already

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 pm

Correct, Andy, I don't want a remake. I want original movies and ideas.

So, in light of that. Manborg trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBHau4HeTZY
I need this film in my life.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:25 pm

One of the main big mistakes the director made was saying that it wasnt a remake of the arnie film. it clearly was.

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 pm

Applecore wrote:So, in light of that. Manborg trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBHau4HeTZY

It's no Kickpuncher :lol:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:29 pm

Well no a remake would have been on Mars, it was a reinterpretation of the original film, personally I'd have ignored the original completely, but it was the same film in a different setting, it wasn't bad, it looked great, Kate Beckinsdale was brilliant, bit ultimately it was pointless because the original was not old enough to be remade and didn't look out of date, I'd have preferred an anniversary edition with updated effects and the original version with it
Last edited by Andy Hall on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Applecore wrote:Correct, Andy, I don't want a remake. I want original movies and ideas.

So, in light of that. Manborg trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBHau4HeTZY

I think one of tye main reasons is that the studios won't take risks with original scripts, new directors or new actors. They will only fund sure fire (in their terms) hits with big a list actors. A good example is The Raid. He spent years trying to get studios interested. He made it as a foreign film and now hes getting us remake money and a sequel. Hollywood is stupid and it treats its viewers as stupid.

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:31 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Well no a remake would have been on Mars, it was a reinterpretation of the original film, personally I'd have ignored the original completely

That word is such a cop out

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:32 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Well no a remake would have been on Mars, it was a reinterpretation of the original film, personally I'd have ignored the original completely

Changing the location doesn't stop it being a remake.