movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Delightful-Jim » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I don't know, Toy Story changed the rules for mainstream animation really, it used to be Anime that adults would go for, but since Toy Story they've now realised that you can make these films enjoyable for adults and kids by making a mix of humour, clever jokes the adults get, very noticeable in The Incredibles, yet because the characters look funny the kids love it too, adults will go and watch these now because they aren't instantly going kid's film

I think people just need to stop automatically dismissing an animated film as a "shitty kids thing". Sure, many of them can be, but I don't see what it is about animated films/tv shows that adults can't enjoy. And Japanese animation has provided some of the most visually appealing films I have ever seen in my life.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:13 pm

I totally agree
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Well I wasn't saying that all animated films are for children, I was saying that Wreck It Ralph is clearly aimed at adults in terms of the used characters.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Worth noting that those characters are only in about one scene each. The film is very much aimed at kids, but with nods to the parents.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:06 pm

New Die Hard film. Ohhhhhh. It was exactly what I was hoping it would be. Totally ridiculous :D
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 pm

I did just watch Wreck-It Ralph. Fucking loved it. :3
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Just ordered this masterpiece for a DVD night double-bill with Manborg. :lol:
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:20 am

gandalf the red wrote:Die Hard With A Zimmer Frame. :lol:

Willis is probably in better shape than most on here :|
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:37 am

ish42 wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
gandalf the red wrote:Die Hard With A Zimmer Frame. :lol:

Willis is probably in better shape than most on here :|

Indeed, but that won't stop them doing the *Big shoot out followed by explosion* - *Bruce complains about hip* - *Someone makes a joke about him being old* thing that's become so popular recently.

Let's not forget the UK cut had massive cuts in it to reduce it to a 12a so I'm already looking forward to the directors cut, which the director has already said will contain nearly an extra 30minutes.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:44 am

Taken 2 (Extended Cut) - i didn't see the original theatrical release and watching this i dont intend to. not because i disliked it but because i actually liked it and i dont want to spoil my liking of it. Taken was a dark action masterpiece that to be fair, no one really expected to be so good. Taken 2 seems to be much lighter in tone until the end where we finally see Liam Neeson playing the character everyone liked in the first film. it throws a lot of action cliche's at the screen but i think it was a nice way to divvy up the action with the daughter taking a much bigger role. it's a nice follow up and with the final scene is not that hard to guess, if a 3rd film was made, what would happen next. 7.5/10

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 am

*SPOILERS INCLUDED*

I can barely bring myself to type this considering how much I love Die Hard 1-4, but...Die Hard 5 - what a pile of wank. To sum up-

Good things:
Bruce Willis was in it.
The car chase scene was good.
It featured my favourite helicopter (a MIL Mi-24 Hind in case you were wondering).

Bad things:
Bruce Willis looked like he didn't want to be in it.
The audio was terriblely mixed - couldn't hear at least 50% of the dialogue.
No classic Die Hard lines from Bruce.
Weak plot.
Felt incredibly short.
Inclusion of McClane's son was the worst decision in the history of movies.
A mega-ton of cheesy Hollywood "father and son" moments.
Awful bad guy.

The main problem I had with it though is that John McClane has always been the "reluctant" hero - his character has never wanted to be in the situations he has been in, but he's been forced into them by his love for his family (DH 1&2), dragged in against his will (DH 3) or tasked to protect someone at all costs + save the world (DH 4). In DH 5 he has the opportunity to walk away with his son and with no real detrimental costs to anyone but he chooses to go and kill people just because he can. Very out of character for the franchise.

I recall reading that Bruce wanted to make as far as Die Hard 6 and then call it a day. I really hope this is still the case and that they learn from their mistakes with the final film as this would be a terrible excuse for a film to end such a great franchise on.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
Good things:
It featured my favourite helicopter (a MIL Mi-24 Hind in case you were wondering).

:rofl: never change Aled.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:*SPOILERS INCLUDED*

I can barely bring myself to type this considering how much I love Die Hard 1-4, but...Die Hard 5 - what a pile of wank. To sum up-

Good things:
Bruce Willis was in it.
The car chase scene was good.

Bad things:
Bruce Willis looked like he didn't want to be in it.
The audio was terriblely mixed - couldn't hear at least 50% of the dialogue.
No classic Die Hard lines from Bruce.
Weak plot.
Felt incredibly short.
Inclusion of McClane's son was the worst decision in the history of movies.
A mega-ton of cheesy Hollywood "father and son" moments.
Awful bad guy.

The main problem I had with it though is that John McClane has always been the "reluctant" hero - his character has never wanted to be in the situations he has been in, but he's been forced into them by his love for his family (DH 1&2), dragged in against his will (DH 3) or tasked to protect someone at all costs + save the world (DH 4). In DH 5 he has the opportunity to walk away with his son and with no real detrimental costs to anyone but he chooses to go and kill people just because he can. Very out of character for the franchise.

I recall reading that Bruce wanted to make as far as Die Hard 6 and then call it a day. I really hope this is still the case and that they learn from their mistakes with the final film as this would be a terrible excuse for a film to end such a great franchise on.

I went to go see it yesterday and thought it was ok, it didn't really feel like a Die Hard film though and I hated his son.
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:39 pm

It's getting slated by most people that see it, I will see it, but I'm angry we have the edited version

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 pm

The editing was actually OK, you could tell where they had cut some bits out as the scenes were quite choppy, but I didn't feel the lack of violence detracted from the film too much - the other problems way overshadowed it.