movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Wreck it Ralph.

God damn this movie is heavy man

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Wreck It Ralph

Pretty great. Better than I expecting. Sets up the basis with some good video game references, but doesn't rely on them for the rest of the movie.
Strong plot, really great voice acting, and some emotional moments because I'm a little girl.

7.5/10.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:19 am

I'm not going to argue for QOS at all, people hating it doesn't make my enjoyment of the film any less, I've been quite open with my feelings about the movie
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:44 am

Am I the only person that really doesn't notice product placement?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:46 am

Fjar wrote:Am I the only person that really doesn't notice product placement?

Nope, although the stuff they shot in Shanghai wasn't product placement, that's what Shanghai looks line at night, it's stunning
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:47 am

I only notice really blatant bits (the Audi Liam Neeson steals/drives in Taken has a drawn-out establishing shot that looks like it was taken directly from an advert), but in terms of people drinking Pepsi and things like that, I rarely take note - much like I don't tend to notice it in real life, either.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:49 am

Andy Hall wrote:

Nope, although the stuff they shot in Shanghai wasn't product placement, that's what Shanghai looks line at night, it's stunning

I was thinking more along the lines of the watch etc. - the media made a big song and dance about product placement in Skyfall, and watching it, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I don't know if that says more about my observational skills or the lack of effect PP has..
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:02 pm

Fjar wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of the watch etc. - the media made a big song and dance about product placement in Skyfall, and watching it, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I don't know if that says more about my observational skills or the lack of effect PP has..

I'd chalk it up to the latter. In-movie advertisement works better when the adverts for the product use movie characters/clips to show it off. Like if you saw a poster advertising the watch and it was Daniel Craig dressed as Bond wearing it, you'd be more inclined to want it - whereas if it's his watch in the film then that's just it. Bond's wearing a fancy watch.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:15 pm

I tend to either ignore or not take any notice of product placement, but the one film I couldn't ignore it on was I, Robot.
Unbelievable amount of product placement. In fact, the first half was more like an advert for electronics firms and trainer manufacturers.
Terrible.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Well if you don't know about Bond's connection with Omega watches and Aston Martin cars by now, there's no hope for you, I can't afford either anyway :lol:

I don't notice product placement usually, apart from in Wayne's World, that took the mick :lol:

Owen
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Owen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Applecore wrote:

I only notice really blatant bits (the Audi Liam Neeson steals/drives in Taken has a drawn-out establishing shot that looks like it was taken directly from an advert), but in terms of people drinking Pepsi and things like that, I rarely take note - much like I don't tend to notice it in real life, either.

I only seem to notice in Mike Judge movies.
Turbo wrote:Got to be honest, in comparison to pizza you can get take away or at restaurants - shop bought pizza is shit. Had another doner kebab pizza today. Shit is off the fucking chain.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm

The watch was quite clumsily noticable in the early scenes - the arm movement stops for the camera to linger longer than usual - then there's the specific mention of the Beatles. Its a bit like Tomorrow Never Dies when the shot has Bond going along a line of bikes until he gets to the clearly marked BMW one - but then the brands of drinks, watches, cars, cigarettes were all clearly identified in the books aswell.

The worst one was in a season opening of CSI:NY when one guy's phone goes off during a raid and the other stops and goes 'HEY, IS THAT THE NEW COLDPLAY SONG?'
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:34 pm

someone else wrote:The worst one was in a season opening of CSI:NY when one guy's phone goes off during a raid and the other stops and goes 'HEY, IS THAT THE NEW COLDPLAY SONG?'

Fucking hell, that's cringeworthy. :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:41 pm

Fjar wrote:
someone else wrote:The worst one was in a season opening of CSI:NY when one guy's phone goes off during a raid and the other stops and goes 'HEY, IS THAT THE NEW COLDPLAY SONG?'

TV product placement? Surely, there's none worse than Bones.
To be fair, it's not actually the programme's fault, but purely down to Fox exploiting it to advertise other Fox products.

Back in 2009, it used an entire episode to quite shamefully promote Avatar by having an entire subplot written into the episode about two of the characters camping out in a queue to watch it.

In 2011, it tried the same tactic again when characters from Fox's new detective show, The Finder, turned up in it. The episode was one of the worst in its entire history and the The Finder flopped, barely lasting a season anyway.
What a waste of time.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Fjar wrote:

TV product placement? Surely, there's none worse than Bones.
To be fair, it's not actually the programme's fault, but purely down to Fox exploiting it to advertise other Fox products.

Back in 2009, it used an entire episode to quite shamefully promote Avatar by having an entire subplot written into the episode about two of the characters camping out in a queue to watch it.

and the tall lanky one is even in the film as well.

Skyfall wasn't so bad i thought but the amount of times either a Heineken bottle, glass, can or truck passed by, on the screen was a joke.