movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: movies

Postby Ghost » Tue May 07, 2013 2:53 pm

I prefer Batman Begins compared to the Dark Knight. :eyes:
I see the bad moon arising.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue May 07, 2013 4:22 pm

i saw Batman Begins at the cinema with my friend as kinda spur of the moment. i didnt really know it was out til a week before and never saw any trailers of anything for it. i dont it really had any sort of promotion that TDK or TDKR had.

i hope that with the next set of Batman films, they go for the more unbelievable villains like Mr Freeze, Clayface or The Riddler. those 3 still have the potential to be very dark as well. but then i'd like to see a Hush storyline throughout all 3 and that way we might see some decent Robin action as well as Nightwing. as great as The Joker is, he needs a rest from the films.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue May 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Raymond Frederick Harryhausen
Born: Los Angeles 29th June 1920
Died: London 7th May 2013.

The Harryhausen family regret to announce the death of Ray Harryhausen, Visual Effects pioneer and stop-motion model animator. He was a multi-award winner which includes a special Oscar and BAFTA. Ray's influence on today's film makers was enormous, with luminaries; Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, George Lucas, John Landis and the UK's own Nick Park have cited Harryhausen as being the man whose work inspired their own creations.

Harryhausen's fascination with animated models began when he first saw Willis OBrien's creations in KING KONG with his boyhood friend, the author Ray Bradbury in 1933, and he made his first foray into filmmaking in 1935 with home-movies that featured his youthful attempts at model animation. Over the period of the next 46 years, he made some of the genres best known movies MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (1949), IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (1955), 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH (1957), MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1961), ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. (1966), THER VALLEY OF GWANGI (1969), three films based on the adventures of SINBAD and CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981). He is perhaps best remembered for his extraordinary animation of seven skeletons in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (1963) which took him three months to film.

Harryhausen's genius was in being able to bring his models alive. Whether they were prehistoric dinosaurs or mythological creatures, in Ray's hands they were no longer puppets but became instead characters in their own right, just as important as the actors they played against and in most cases even more so.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 pm

RIP Ray. :(

Always been a big fan.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm

I adored Harryhausen's work as a kid. I even used to move in a slightly jerky fashion when playing at monsters :lol: An absolute genius, RIP.

fitz
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby fitz » Tue May 07, 2013 9:59 pm

^ Just heard about that, RIP.

Should be doing my essay, but I'm tired and can't be fucked, will get up early and do it tomorrow. Just sat down to watch Escape From New York with a cuppa instead, fuck yeah I know how to live haha. Seriously though this is bliss :lol:

"In 1988 the Crime rate in the United States rises four hundred percent..."
They say the pen is mightier than the sword... well, I say fuck the pen! Cause you're gonna die by the sword!

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Tue May 07, 2013 10:08 pm

fitz wrote:^ Just heard about that, RIP.

Should be doing my essay, but I'm tired and can't be fucked, will get up early and do it tomorrow. Just sat down to watch Escape From New York with a cuppa instead, fuck yeah I know how to live haha. Seriously though this is bliss :lol:

"In 1988 the Crime rate in the United States rises four hundred percent..."

Snake Plissken is the man!
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Got halfway through Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters last night. Good gory fun. Only thing that irked me was Gemma Arterton (English) playing a German character with an American accent. Just because it worked for Alan Rickman in Die Hard..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed May 08, 2013 12:38 am

Dark Skies

After approximately 30 minutes of nothing happening, a kid wets himself. Fifteen minutes later and the lead actress repeatedly bangs her head against a glass door. Some time after that, the main actor stares blankly into space with blood running from his nose.

These are not symptoms suffered due to the alien experimentation the film would have you believe is happening.

These are all symptoms suffered due to watching the film itself.
I, myself, wanted to bash my head against the wall and be abducted by aliens rather than finish it.

I'm also sure that, just like in the film, I heard every bird in the neighbourhood commit suicide by dive-bombing my house so they didn't have to endure it either.

Ghastly.
3/10

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed May 08, 2013 8:42 am

GetToTheChoppar
Denim Demon

Postby GetToTheChoppar » Wed May 08, 2013 8:45 am

Aye, looks a little shitty, but it also looks like great fun and a right laff, still looking forward to it.
Turbo wrote:Move on, fuck her off. Smoke crack and worship satan.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed May 08, 2013 10:43 am

there's clearly a massive nod to Hot Fuzz near the end. i'll watch it later with sound back home, but looks alright really. much better than that Seth Rogan one coming out.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed May 08, 2013 11:51 am

Kick-Ass 2 and The World's End are out on the same day apparently. I know where I'll be spending the day..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 pm

I'll be staying away from both, I hated Kick Ass, and the only 2 films I've enjoyed with them 2 I. Were Paul and Hot Fuzz
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed May 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I'll be staying away from both, I hated Kick Ass, and the only 2 films I've enjoyed with them 2 I. Were Paul and Hot Fuzz

So there's a fairly good chance you'll enjoy their new one. :lol: It's not like they've done loads of film together.
I see the bad moon arising.