movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:04 am

Watched the Lego trailer last night. I'll be seeing that.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:30 am

Applecore wrote:Watched the Lego trailer last night. I'll be seeing that.

It's basically a film full of pop culture references. Hopefully it'll have some nice Lego in-jokes as well.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:08 pm

World War Z is getting good reviews which I'm surprised about. I'm put off by the CGI looking zombies in the trailer.
I see the bad moon arising.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Applecore wrote:Watched the Lego trailer last night. I'll be seeing that.

WilliamsWishWellys
Lowly Peon

Postby WilliamsWishWellys » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:44 am

her indoors likes Somewhere in Time after I got her into it. It's good. Shit reviews and not perfect, but still ace.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:36 am

I've seen a few films the last few days

American Pie Re-union, was a fun film, I have no real gripes about it, it was nice to see the original cast back, and it was quite funny in places, especially the scenes with the parents at the party talking about their kids antics :lol: 7/10

Blown Away

Tommy Lee Jones escapes from prison after being captured for setting bombs in Ireland for the IRA, he finds his buddy Jeff Bridges in Boston 20 years later who is now a bomb disposal expert for the police, new identity and a scarred conscionce but made a new life having turned his back on his past.

Tommy Lee Jones sets out to kill his team and his family with an array of clever booby traps and games to torment his ex friend

Very well made, came out about the same time as Speed but didn't have the pace or sheen of that film, this is alot more serious and deadly in style

8/10 highly recommended
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:47 am

Andy Hall wrote:Blown Away

Tommy Lee Jones

Jeff Bridges

fucking sold

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Jobdone wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:Blown

Tommy Lee

Pamela Anderson

fucking sold

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Just seen Disney's The Rocketeer, that was damn good fun :yes:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:47 am

Soze wrote:Watched Django Unchained last night, probably in the minority but I wasn't overwhelmed by it, twas OK. I'm not a fan of Tarantino nor westerns so it was always going to be a hard sell for me I guess.

I thought the first third was OK, enough to hold my interest...I started to get really bored in the middle, then it perked up considerably (once they were in DeCaprio's house and bargaining for the slave I was quite involved in it) and then it turned into some sort of comic book shoot out...and then didn't end when it should of. I barely paid attention to the last half hour. Oh well, I'll continue to chalk Tarantino up as a film maker I just don't get.

I watched it last night, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would - after the opening titles I feared the worst, expecting a spaghetti western film student wank fest but I thought it held together well - could have done with a trim down, but all the usual QT stuff was there but didn't find them as irritating as Inglorious Basterds. 8/10

Also watched:
Last Stand - Arnie playing his age, and its B movie western stuff but done with a bit fizz. Good fun 7/10

Zero Dark Thirty - Decent enough, with a good climax, but a bit of a plod. 7/10

Gangster Squad - Stupid, empty, cartoon gangster flick that nicks its ideas from The Untouchables but without its style - 5/10

Flight - Denzel is good value as always and holds it together, but the cartoonish John Goodman character seems like he's rolled in from another film 8/10
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:39 pm

World War Z.

I'm sad that the book rights have been sold because this could've easily not been at all related to World War Z. About 4 or 5 references to books (Not including names) and the rest was a generic disaster movie.

Thoroughly meh. Some nice bits here and there, and the zombies looked creepy up close. However the CGI looked wrong. I get that they wanted them to look like this fluid wave (Which did admittedly look cool) but the thing CGI still doesn't seem to have a handle on is that PEOPLE HAVE JOINTS. WE DON'T HAVE WACKY WAVY INFLATABLE ARMS. So it didn't even look close to real or scary.

6/10.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Prince Charles Cinema in London are doing a double bill of Troma's Class of Nuke 'em High, and the latest installment, Return to Nuke 'em High - WITH a Q&A featuring Lloyd Kaufman.
Next Sunday, £15 for non-members.
http://www.princecharlescinema.com/inde ... =06&day=30

Fucking there.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:11 pm

Applecore wrote:Prince Charles Cinema in London are doing a double bill of Troma's Class of Nuke 'em High, and the latest installment, Return to Nuke 'em High - WITH a Q&A featuring Lloyd Kaufman.
Next Sunday, £15 for non-members.
http://www.princecharlescinema.com/inde ... =06&day=30

Fucking there.

I'm going to be there to see Mean Girls :D

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:32 pm

I watched Wreck It Ralph the other day, another charming and amusing animation film. Kind of like a cross between Toy Story and Tron...I hope it spawns a sequel or two. Also re-watched Avengers for about the 5th time, I think this has joined that rare elite of films I'll never tire of re-watching.

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:07 pm

So I went to watch World War Z yesterday, and I'm in two minds about it. Part of me thinks I should hate it but some parts were just so epic that I find myself forgiving it just for those moments.

But Brad Pitt's hair was just offensive. :lol:

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading