movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
Darkweasel
Denim Demon
Posts: 14551
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Shakespeare Cuntry
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 am

Fjar wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
Fjar wrote:So a date's set for the release of the Fifty Shades of Grey film.

And the airhead bints on my Facebook are already squealing in anticipation. :ugh:


Watch them cry when it gets a 12a rating :lol:


My friends are older than 12. :P

I might be wrong here but I think Andy means the 50SOG fans will be expecting some serious filth on the screen. However, due to the book being so explicit (apparently - I haven't read it myself), a film which would expect to attract a large audience probably couldn't show half of it.
In that case, the filmmakers may decide to do what they did with American Psycho and steer clear of any possible obscenity difficulties by completely altering their approach, toning everything down to get more people in to see it.

As amusing as that would be, personally I reckon the film will end up being pretty graphic.
I'd better watch it for myself though just to make sure..
For research purposes only, of course.
Image

User avatar
CrappyMike
Denim Demon
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:27 am

Jobdone wrote:Luke Cage?

This would be my guess. Either vin diesel or the rock would be good as Luke cage. I can't think of any other obvious characters he could be.

User avatar
Darkweasel
Denim Demon
Posts: 14551
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Shakespeare Cuntry
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:54 am

CrappyMike wrote:
Jobdone wrote:Luke Cage?

This would be my guess. Either vin diesel or the rock would be good as Luke cage. I can't think of any other obvious characters he could be.


I think I'm going to start a petition to stop shit "actors" like those two appearing in films I'm actually going to watch.
Image

User avatar
Andy Hall
Denim Demon
Posts: 3561
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: movies

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm a huge fan of The Rock and like Vin so balls to your petition :P
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

User avatar
CrappyMike
Denim Demon
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
CrappyMike wrote:
Jobdone wrote:Luke Cage?

This would be my guess. Either vin diesel or the rock would be good as Luke cage. I can't think of any other obvious characters he could be.


I think I'm going to start a petition to stop shit "actors" like those two appearing in films I'm actually going to watch.

Neither are going to win any Oscars but both are far from shit. Besides, you like doctor who, your opinion is invalid :P

User avatar
Fjar
Denim Demon
Posts: 10174
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Alfreton, Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Fjar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Darkweasel wrote:I might be wrong here but I think Andy means the 50SOG fans will be expecting some serious filth on the screen. However, due to the book being so explicit (apparently - I haven't read it myself), a film which would expect to attract a large audience probably couldn't show half of it.
In that case, the filmmakers may decide to do what they did with American Psycho and steer clear of any possible obscenity difficulties by completely altering their approach, toning everything down to get more people in to see it.

As amusing as that would be, personally I reckon the film will end up being pretty graphic.
I'd better watch it for myself though just to make sure..
For research purposes only, of course.


Oh right, fair point.

Yeah I can imagine they'll tone it down. It'll end up a lukewarm love drama and I imagine they'll try and fit the Twilight mould as close as possible.
Image
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

User avatar
Andy Hall
Denim Demon
Posts: 3561
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: movies

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm sure the Porn industry will have their version out anyway that will have everything Hollywood can't put in :lol:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

User avatar
Luke_X
Denim Demon
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: movies

Postby Luke_X » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Soze wrote:
kaosweaver20 wrote:I've heard literally NOTHING good about it though. I've spoken to a lot of friends, and none of them had anything complimentary to say about it. :| I normally watch a film before I judge but the Superman outfit alone isn't 'tacky' enough for me. I know that sounds stupid, but part of the charm for me was the underpants on the outfit and the lycra. DAY LYCRA.


I quite enjoyed it, as did most of the people I know who have seen it. It's nothing fantastic but it's decent popcorn fun. Head over to the Comic Book Movie website and you'll read hundreds of posts from DC fans saying it's 'the best movie ever' and all that sort of nonsense. It also got a 4 and a half star review from SFX. Give it a shot...I often find when I go in with low expectations I come out at least thinking 'well, it wasn't that bad!'.



I liked it as well. The story isnt full of punches but its quite a visual beast with plenty of action and enough sci fi elements to not alienate people. Give it a go. Don't go by just a few peoples disappointment. As many people liked it. It's just a stepping stone for the next films and just opening up for future characters like Batman (plenty of easter eggs in the film about Wayne Enterprises and Batman).

User avatar
kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 3:34 pm
Location: Yeovil, Somerset, UK

Re: movies

Postby kaosweaver20 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:55 pm

Luke_X wrote:
Soze wrote:
kaosweaver20 wrote:I've heard literally NOTHING good about it though. I've spoken to a lot of friends, and none of them had anything complimentary to say about it. :| I normally watch a film before I judge but the Superman outfit alone isn't 'tacky' enough for me. I know that sounds stupid, but part of the charm for me was the underpants on the outfit and the lycra. DAY LYCRA.


I quite enjoyed it, as did most of the people I know who have seen it. It's nothing fantastic but it's decent popcorn fun. Head over to the Comic Book Movie website and you'll read hundreds of posts from DC fans saying it's 'the best movie ever' and all that sort of nonsense. It also got a 4 and a half star review from SFX. Give it a shot...I often find when I go in with low expectations I come out at least thinking 'well, it wasn't that bad!'.



I liked it as well. The story isnt full of punches but its quite a visual beast with plenty of action and enough sci fi elements to not alienate people. Give it a go. Don't go by just a few peoples disappointment. As many people liked it. It's just a stepping stone for the next films and just opening up for future characters like Batman (plenty of easter eggs in the film about Wayne Enterprises and Batman).


I guess it's each to their own, as with anything. For me, The Avengers reached such a high point for Superhero movies that everything else was always going to fall short. Thor is still my favourite though.
Image

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

User avatar
Luke_X
Denim Demon
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: movies

Postby Luke_X » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:20 pm

But you could say that about all the upcoming marvel films. The Avengers is an ensemble with 7 huge main characters. MoS is just about one character. Give it time and we will get a new Batman (which might actually be true to the comics and make him a detective for once), Wonder Woman and Flash. And the inevitable Justice League.

The main problem character will be Green Lantern. The comic of Green Lantern is an ensemble cast comic. There are hundreds of characters. The first film failed in focusing too much on Ryan Reynolds being a goof instead of showing his actual heroic chivalrous human side. Also, Ryan Reynolds was just the wrong person to play the character (no matter how much Andy protests it) and the film is just horrid.

User avatar
Andy Hall
Denim Demon
Posts: 3561
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: movies

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:37 pm

And yet I think the first Iron Man is still the best film Marvel have released, Avengers is good, but again, for me I prefer other films over it

And you can shout as much as you want about Green Lantern, as a superhero film I still rate it higher than a lot of other films released, it's more fun than Man Of Steel and Captain America that's for sure
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

User avatar
kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 3:34 pm
Location: Yeovil, Somerset, UK

Re: movies

Postby kaosweaver20 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Andy Hall wrote:And yet I think the first Iron Man is still the best film Marvel have released, Avengers is good, but again, for me I prefer other films over it

And you can shout as much as you want about Green Lantern, as a superhero film I still rate it higher than a lot of other films released, it's more fun than Man Of Steel and Captain America that's for sure


I like a comic book move that doesn't take itself too seriously. Now, I'm not saying it should be ridiculous, but it needs to accept that it's dealing with a farfetched subject matter and embrace that. :P

That's why I liked Thor. It had comedy moments alongside serious moments, like a proper Hollywood blockbuster used to have back in the day.
Image

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

User avatar
Andy Hall
Denim Demon
Posts: 3561
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: movies

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:30 pm

I really did enjoy Thor, and the fact it had 1 of my favourite women on the planet in it helped too :yes:

The second 1 looks like it's going to blow the first out of the water though, it looks huge
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

User avatar
mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2630
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:53 pm
Location: Shitsville kent
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby mikeftw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Just got back from This is the End, there were points where I was crying with laughter, great film
Image

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7790
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:06 pm

kaosweaver20 wrote:I like a comic book move that doesn't take itself too seriously. Now, I'm not saying it should be ridiculous, but it needs to accept that it's dealing with a farfetched subject matter and embrace that. :P

That's why I liked Thor. It had comedy moments alongside serious moments, like a proper Hollywood blockbuster used to have back in the day.


Avengers did this in spades for me, it got everything pitch perfect. Man of Steel was too po faced, the Marvel films get things just right. Whilst it's important to have moments of light hearted humour and realise you're making a comic book movie you also have to be careful not to cross the line into self parody or just plain annoying goofiness.

For me Avengers is by far the best comic book movie ever made. I'd put Iron Man, Spiderman 2, X-Men 2 and The Dark Knight Rises next. Batman is one of those characters that does work well when the humour is played down. The worst I've seen are Ghost Rider, Green Lantern and the appallingly bad Green Hornet. Something about the letter G it seems!