movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
someone else
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby someone else » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Took 2 attempts to get through Broken City - dropped off first time. Tedious crime flick straight out of an airport novel - the kind of thing Sidney Lumet could have knocked out in his sleep, but after the more expansive city corruption sagas in The Shield and The Wire a 100 min flick seems too abrupt, particularly with characters that tick every cliché box. 4/10
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

JrHunter
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby JrHunter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 pm

DVD rip of Evil Dead. Finally :D

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:15 pm

JrHunter wrote:DVD rip of Evil Dead. Finally :D

Paid about £7 to see it at the cinema.
It was just about worth it. But only just.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:56 am

Quite enjoyed the Evil Dead remake although I've no particular desire to ever watch it again. I'll return to the original...same as I do for all the other horror remakes. I mean seriously, is there anyone who thinks the remakes of Nightmare on Elm St, Dawn of the Dead, The Thing*, The Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Evil Dead etc. are better than the originals?

* yes I know this wasn't technically promoted as a remake and that Carpenter's version is itself a remake of the 50s B movie. But Carpenter made enough of a different film to differentiate it whilst the recent version was more of the same.

I watched Stoker last night which was really good. A fairly simple story that doesn't pack too many surprises but it's very tense and beautifully filmed.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:18 am

Stoker along with Byzantium are my 2 favourite films of the year so far, completely different to anything else i've seen recently
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:43 am

First trailer for the Ironclad sequel, I loved the first film, this looks damn good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... d8wi3GdLSw
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:46 am

Ridley Scott is back, this looks like my type of film :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 3otiNAhscg

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59 am

I'd like to have the faintest idea of what the film was actually about before I decide that.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:08 pm

Darkweasel wrote:I'd like to have the faintest idea of what the film was actually about before I decide that.

Assassins, fast cars, beautiful women, and Ridley Scott directing

Yeah looks like my kind of film :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Assassins? Fair enough.
Beautiful women? No problem there.
Ridley Scott directing? Hmmm.... The last really good Scott film was ten years ago, so maybe he's due one.
Yeah, fuck it. I'm in.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Assassins? Fair enough.
Ridley Scott directing? Hmmm.... The last really good Scott film was ten years ago, so maybe he's due one.
Yeah, fuck it. I'm in.

I'm at work so can't view the trailer but by the sound of it it's more like a film his brother would have made. Tony was one of my fav directors, ridley is not :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Assassins? Fair enough.
Yeah, fuck it. I'm in.

Kingdom Of Heaven was a master class in movie making for me , the directors cut is amazing. and I loved Robin Hood too, even enjoyed Prometheus and it made sense to me, I have no idea why it didn't to anyone else :?

Black Hawk Down
American Gangster
Body Of Lies

I think he's done quite a few awesome films these last 10 years or so

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Kingdom Of Heaven was a master class in movie making for me , the directors cut is amazing. and I loved Robin Hood too, even enjoyed Prometheus and it made sense to me, I have no idea why it didn't to anyone else :?

Black Hawk Down
American Gangster
Body Of Lies

I think he's done quite a few awesome films these last 10 years or so

Kingdom of Heaven moved slower than a mole's arse in the springtime and Orlando Bloom was unbearable.

Prometheus wasn't shit, but the problem I had with it was because it was Scott returning (sort of) to the film that made his name, I was hoping for more than wasn't shit.

Black Hawk Down is ace and also falls outside my ten years criteria.

I haven't actually seen American Gangster, but the reaction from most people I know is one of "yeah, it was alright". Hardly a glowing recommendation.

Body of Lies was merely a vehicle for DiCaprio and Crowe and could have been directed by absolutely anybody.

For me, his last quality film was the massively underrated Matchstick Men.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Kingdom Of Heaven Directors Cut, for me is a genre defining movie, its pace was exactly what it should have been for a film of that type, and at 30 minutes longer than the cinema version, and with different scenes to make more sense of certain scenes and scenarios that were a bit odd in the theatrical release, I think it was superb

American Gangster, see it, it's Denzel Washington and he's phenomenal in it and the story is based on true events, and really well done :yes:

Like I always say :yes: , the only reviewer worth listening to is yourself, you'll miss so many films otherwise :yes:

Body Of Lies well I don't agree with the it could have been made by anyone comment, although it does bare the hallmarks of Paul Greengrass and Michael Mann, it is a very hard genre to do well and only a few directors have really done it well for me, and yeah the 2 leads were amazing in it

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:07 pm

So, I acquired a copy of Birdemic today..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock