movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:45 pm

John Dies at the End.

Starts off confusing as fuck. Eventually realises that sets the tone for the rest of the movie that is kind of confusing as fuck but also with a solid plotline that is weird as hell.

I fucking loved the main characters because they weren't retarded.

The police officer realises some shits going down and just nopes it to fuck. Burn everything.
The lead characters shoot when they have to and when they should.

Just. Very very good movie.
Some awesome effects too.

8.5/10.
Image

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7790
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:53 am

kaosweaver20 wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Ed Wood
Mars Attacks
Beetlejuice
Batman Returns
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Edward Scissorhands
Sleepy Hollow
All fantastic.


Honestly? None of those were that enjoyable for me. Mars Attacks maybe, but only due to how deliberately hilarious it was. :lol:


Ed Wood, Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands are all brilliant films. Sleepy Hollow is also great but not something I go back and re-watch. I really like his first Batman film although not so much the second. My 2 favourite Burton films have been omitted by Darkweasel, Big Fish and Nightmare Before Christmas.

Most of the films he's made recently have been complete arse...although I liked Corpse Bride a lot.

User avatar
Darkweasel
Denim Demon
Posts: 14551
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Shakespeare Cuntry
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Soze wrote: My 2 favourite Burton films have been omitted by Darkweasel, Big Fish and Nightmare Before Christmas.


I liked Big Fish but didn't find it amazing. I preferred Dark Shadows and Sweeney Todd. I've tried watching TNBC on three separate occasions and never made it to the end.
Image

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7790
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Soze wrote: My 2 favourite Burton films have been omitted by Darkweasel, Big Fish and Nightmare Before Christmas.


I liked Big Fish but didn't find it amazing. I preferred Dark Shadows and Sweeney Todd. I've tried watching TNBC on three separate occasions and never made it to the end.


Dark Shadows was passable. I can see Big Fish being something that not everyone falls for, it's quite an odd film. I found it quite moving. As for Sweeney Todd, I simply can't get on with musicals (unless they're cartoons or puppets!). Just can't take them seriously. I despised Les Miserables, had to switch it off after 45 minutes.

The Nightmare Before Christmas is utterly fantastic. You clearly have no soul!

User avatar
Applecore
Denim Demon
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:04 pm

TNBC was directed by Henry Selick, b-t-dubs..

I fucking love Tim Burton. Sure it's laughable how often his wife and Helena Bonham Carter appear in his films, but they're both very entertaining actors so it's hardly a bad thing.

Also I watched Blackfish the other night. Never going back to SeaWorld, or any marine park with Orcas. Really want to see some in the wild now :(
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:20 pm

The World's End.

I can understand why people have rated this a little lower.

You've got 5 main characters which means it's hard to flesh them out compared to the 2/3 of the previous, with some stranger moments that are hard to contextualise.

However I thought it easily stands against the other two of the Cornetto trilogy.

Good story, good dialogue, good end.

I liked it.

8/10.
Image

User avatar
AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon
Posts: 18671
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:52 am
Location: Leigh
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Watched Rush yesterday. Really liked it a lot, in fact I there's nothing about it I didn't at least like. Well written, well paced, well acted. Just a really solidly good film.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:29 pm

RIPD.

A group of terrible writers really put their heads together and read "Action Movies for Dummies" to make the worst film they possibly could.

Movies like this is the reason people are losing so much money.

Fuck you hollywood.
Image

User avatar
Luke_X
Denim Demon
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: movies

Postby Luke_X » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Jobdone wrote:RIPD.

A group of terrible writers really put their heads together and read "Action Movies for Dummies" to make the worst film they possibly could.

Movies like this is the reason people are losing so much money.

Fuck you hollywood.



It's based on a comic book.......

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Luke_X wrote:
Jobdone wrote:RIPD.

A group of terrible writers really put their heads together and read "Action Movies for Dummies" to make the worst film they possibly could.

Movies like this is the reason people are losing so much money.

Fuck you hollywood.



It's based on a comic book.......


I'm aware.

So was Batman and Robin.

Doesn't mean that the writers/directors/hollywood wasn't at fault for that abortion.
Image

User avatar
Bisset
Denim Demon
Posts: 4322
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:08 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: movies

Postby Bisset » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:01 am

I finally got round to watching Inception, whoo nelly I enjoyed that.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

User avatar
Applecore
Denim Demon
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Jobdone wrote:RIPD.

A group of terrible writers really put their heads together and read "Action Movies for Dummies" to make the worst film they possibly could.

Movies like this is the reason people are losing so much money.

Fuck you hollywood.

Deep down, I knew this day would come..

Sorry bro, I disagree.

I really enjoyed RIPD. Sure it's basically Men in Black meets Reaper (complete with a "Welcome to the Men In Black" scene, showing off the department and all the freaks and geeks in it), but it was dumb, crazy fun. Plus I really like Ryan Reynolds. And Jeff Bridges. And Kevin Bacon..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7790
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:53 pm

Trailer for 'Under the Skin'. Scarlett Johannson playing a sexy alien who lures men to their death. Upon first hearing this I thought a) Species and b) why the fuck would SJ be wasting her time with this sort of B movie rubbish? But this trailer looks suitably weird...almost Lynch like. I'm intrigued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXXtTK1dyrg

User avatar
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2661
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: movies

Postby Ghost » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:54 am

I saw RIPD at it's Premiere at Frightfest. I liked it because of the cast I think. The fact I managed to stay away through it after sitting in a cinema for 12 hours is testament to how I liked it haha.
I see the bad moon arising.

x-tempus
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: movies

Postby x-tempus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 pm

finally got around to watching Stitches ... omg it's funny - so dark and grotesque, but damn funny - great delivery of lines. "Taken from behind" had me rolling around laughing
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS