movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:31 am

Fassbender turns up in everything, must make cinema going quite difficult for you! I have no problems with him at all, been in some really good films. And he likes Slayer.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:37 am

Just watched Frozen (again) with Mum. I feel a bit daft liking Disney films, given my love for metal and horror movies, but I just can't help it..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Sin City A Dame to Kill For trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIFqHn_Ul0M

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:56 pm

The Grand Budapest Hotel - This film has gone into my top 5 all time favourites, so good in fact I watched it twice straight after the other, I love everything about this film and Ralph Fiennes was unbelievable

11/10

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:20 am

Chernobyl Diaries - It wasn't nearly as terrible as I was expecting. Could've been better, but had some great moments, some nice camera work, and just some general cool ass shit.

6.5/10.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:34 am

It could have been good, but fuck me those characters were completely unlikeable from the start.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:10 am

Just watched Max Manus: Man of War

Good stuff. The thing with history/war films is there's being historically accurate versus glamming it up to make it fun. I'd say this is half way. It's not super long so it's fairly easy watching, unlike...

Talvisota (Winter War), which is over 3 hours long and is predominately Finnish soldiers stuck in snowy trenches getting bombed the fuck out of by the Russians. Testing viewing, but conveys the grimness of the situation pretty well.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:32 am

Venerable men of the movies thread.

Me and my mate are constantly watching horror movies because they're easy to watch and the shitty tropes and awfulness are more acceptable in horror than in say a shitty action movie.

But we're burning through shit at a rate of knots, so what's your favourite horror movies that are less popular/relatively cult.

Cheers.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:06 am

Look for stuff based on HP Lovecraft works. The Evil Dead are the obvious ones, but I would imagine you've seen those. But you do also have the Re-animator series, From Beyond, In The Mouth Of Madness or some of the Cthulhu stuff.

Dario Argento's 70's & 80's stuff is mostly good-brilliant. Suspiria, Inferno, Phenomena, Tenebre, Dawn Of The Dead, Demons 1&2 (if only for the soundtracks)

John Carpenter makes good Horrors. Early Peter Jackson, for something a bit sillier. Also try out Asian horrors like Audition, Ring etc or if you want really weird find Hausu.

I'm sure there are plenty of 'cult' lists around to trawl through. Yes there is a lot of crappy low budget stuff, but sometimes that's exactly what you want.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 am

The Mist.

It bombed in America, for whatever reason, so barely got a release here - but is excellent. It is based on a Stephen King short, and Frank Darabont directs. Tom Jane is solid in the lead and it has an excellent turn from Marcia Gay Harden. Laurie Holden, Toby Jones and Jeffrey DeMunn all have supporting roles.

Here's a review: http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... DID=117928

If you're looking for more craptastic stuff, check out The Cube trilogy.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:The Mist.

If you're looking for more craptastic stuff, check out The Cube trilogy.

Seen both of those, (Well, the 4 of those because of Cube) and they're all awesome for different reasons.

I've seen all the HP Lovecraft stuff mentioned, but they were great and worth a rewatch.

The 70s and 80s stuff I've heard amazing things about but never actually seen much of it. Does it still hold up?

And yeah, we've been googling "Best horror movies you haven't seen" and we've usually seen half of them. It's getting distressing. We might have start moving into bad franchise marathons. Puppetmaster 1 through 10, here we come.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Jobdone wrote:The 70s and 80s stuff I've heard amazing things about but never actually seen much of it. Does it still hold up?

Yes.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:19 pm

Jobdone wrote: Puppetmaster 1 through 10, here we come.

The Puppet Master movies are awesome. Also look up Demon Wind if you can find it (2nd hand on Amazon is probably your best bet).
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:36 pm

mikeftw wrote:The Grand Budapest Hotel - This film has gone into my top 5 all time favourites, so good in fact I watched it twice straight after the other, I love everything about this film and Ralph Fiennes was unbelievable

11/10

Watched this this afternoon, great fun, quirky, bonkers...fantastic cast all round. Unlikely to win over Anderson haters but I really enjoyed it.

Saw Captain Phillips last night too, got quite gripped by it, probably my favourite movie of 2013 in retrospect. Exciting stuff!

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:25 am

Watching the 2002 Spiderman again, I forgot how brilliant it was at the time.
Fjar wrote:I can't tell if she's got sun cream on or she's getting crusty round the edges..

I WRITE THINGS
last.fm