movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby CrappyMike » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:04 am

im seeing it, but im not going to watch the trailer. i want to know as little as possible about the movie beforehand.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:02 pm

After watching the 80s tastic Hard Rock Zombies (the only film I've ever seen which has a scene pitting a Nazi zombie midget against a cow), I was looking for other bad movies and stumbled upon...The Barbarian Brothers - a pair of bodybuilding twins who have made some outstanding contributions to "so bad it's good" cinema.

Here are the trailers for some of their films:

The Barbarians: http://youtu.be/3MyHwD8wJ8k
Double Trouble: http://youtu.be/INlEtRPwWCU
Twin Sitters: http://youtu.be/K2Nd-Qo3TeY

I've watched The Barbarians and Double Trouble and both were terrible in the best possible way. Gonna watch Twin Sitters soon.

They also appeared, pretty much playing themselves, in a deleted scene from Natural Born Killers :

http://youtu.be/EoUgxl5azag
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Cinema Sunday..

M - This was very good. I wasn't sure to begin with, but the more it revealed itself the more I liked it. My mate who I was with isn't keen on the ending. But I like it the way it is. I don't think there could ever have been a satisfactory conclusion to the trial, so instead we are left with a cautionary warning, and it's left for us to decide what he deserves. It really doesn't feel as old as it is, a lot of the ideas in it still feel quite relevant. My only criticism would perhaps be the prolonged sections of silence, I'm lead to believe were born out of necessity, but later decided that it actually benefited the film. I just felt that it highlighted the importance of good sound design. You shouldn't necessarily notice it when it's there, but you do notice when it isn't. But that's a very minor criticism in the grand scheme.

Winter Sleep - I'm not sure how I feel really. I think it's definitely too long. There was never a point I didn't enjoy it, but it just never seemed to end. There was a point where I felt it needed to end, and it seemed to go on for another 45-60 minutes. It's not the longest film I've seen at the cinema, Heavens Gate for example, and I had no where near the same length issues as those. Perhaps the extra effort required to read the subtitles in a film that is very wordy film added a certain fatigue, I don't know.

I really loved the long wordy pseudo philosophical/psychological/sociological talks that happen. My only problem was I don't feel they really went anywhere. There seemed no bigger picture or reason for discussing a lot of what was discussed. There were occasional bits of symbolism that worked quite well, but a lot felt a bit 'for the sake of it' rather than because the film needed it. I think that's the best way I can describe it.
The ending was great though, much like The Great Beuty and the films of a certain Texan I'm partial to, you can't beat ending with music, montage, and voice over.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Predestination.

A potentially interesting time travel story too wrapped up with trying to be clever and loopy.

HEY IT'S LIKE A SNAKE EATING IT'S TAIL YEAH AINT THAT COOL!?

No. It's a fucking paradoxical nightmare.

The last 15 minutes of it should've just been the reel on fire, spinning in the projector until it collapsed in on itself and created a black hole that consumed the credits.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:07 pm

Jobdone wrote:HEY IT'S LIKE A SNAKE EATING IT'S TAIL YEAH AINT THAT COOL!?

It's called an Ouroboros, which is like all symbolic and stuff.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:07 pm

DC's "Suicide Squad" is getting a film : http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/12/02/s ... in+twitter

This is the cast:

Jared Leto as The Joker
Will Smith as Deadshot
Tom Hardy as Rick Flagg
Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn
Jai Courtney as Boomerang
Cara Delevinge as Enchantress

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:29 am

Because "FUCK YOU MARVEL WE'LL WIN BY GETTING BIGGER STARS IN OUR FILMS"?
I'll still see it, of course. That's a great cast.

Also What We Do In The Shadows has finally surfaced online. No shame in grabbing that after their website tricked me into paying $20 for the ability to stream it on that one site.
Also also, Tusk is on my "to watch today" list. Looking forward to this one.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:00 am

Also also also, I read the Age of Ultron comic over the weekend to get a feel of who Ultron is, etc.

Obviously there's going to be a huge difference between the movie and the comic (as Wolverine and The Invisible Woman play a massive part in what goes on, and we've not met characters like The Vision yet), so I'm really not sure how they're going to go about it. Needless to say, I am really looking forward to seeing it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:10 am

i imagine the vision will be introduced in age of ultron

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:14 am

Possibly. Time will tell, I guess!
Tbh, the only heroes that have been introduced in the MCU (or will have been by Age of Ultron's release) that play a part in the comic are Hawkeye, Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Nick Fury and Hank Pym. We know Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are going to appear in AoU, though only SW's marriage to The Vision is mentioned in the comics, not her herself.
Keen to find out what they've got planned for it, actually.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:24 am

Nolan's Batman trilogy aside, every single recent (post 2000) DC adaptation has been unadulterated rubbish.

Catwoman, Green Lantern, Watchmen, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Jonah Hex.
Absolute Shite.
Every last one of them.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:41 am

Watchmen was alright but somewhat of a doomed endeavour, as the subject was arguably too heavy for film (or certainly a single film).
Jonah Hex seemed to be chucked out for the sake of chucking a movie out. It doesn't tie in with anything and it's not a particularly popular character. (I didn't even know he was a DC character until Googling him just now)
Green Lantern was enjoyable, but had no chance against the more well known competition from Marvel. Same goes for Man of Steel, but without the "enjoyable" part. Dull hero, dull film. I didn't see Superman Returns for the aforementioned reason.
The less said about Catwoman the better.

I'd say the main problem DC have had is that they've not been able to build a cinematic universe where each film is linked like Marvel have. They've put almost too much into trying to get big results out of their main guys (Batman, Superman) and no effort has gone into building something their fans can really get stuck into. The closest we've had is Nolan's trilogy, but even then it was too much "THIS GUY. JUST BATMAN. HIM.", where Marvel's films have been more about telling a good story with their star character, but also making you well aware that there's far more going on outside the spotlight.
That, and Marvel is a lot more light hearted and fun, while DC are too busy trying to be moody and serious.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Applecore wrote:Also also also, I read the Age of Ultron comic over the weekend to get a feel of who Ultron is, etc.

Obviously there's going to be a huge difference between the movie and the comic (as Wolverine and The Invisible Woman play a massive part in what goes on, and we've not met characters like The Vision yet), so I'm really not sure how they're going to go about it. Needless to say, I am really looking forward to seeing it.

I don't think there's any similarity between the recent Marvel crossover and the movie. Pretty sure this is just a standalone story, probably loosely based on the original one from back in the 60s (apart from Iron Man creating him as opposed to Giant Man. Or whatever Hank Pym was called at the time).

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Nolan's Batman trilogy aside, every single recent (post 2000) DC adaptation has been unadulterated rubbish.

Catwoman, Green Lantern, Watchmen, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Jonah Hex.
Absolute Shite.
Every last one of them.

Watchmen > Every other shitty superhero movie made since Spiderman
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Watched Guardians Of The Galaxy (8/10) last night.

Is true it was much better than the trailer made it seem like it would be. Equally nowhere near as good as some of the reactions Ive seen from people positively creaming over it.

Is a good solid film though with the right balance between action, story, humour etc.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5