movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:15 am

Went to see Taken 3 today.
As I said on Facebook, Olivier Megaton can go fuck himself.
Taken was a great action movie. Adult themes, strong violence, balls-to-the-wall action awesomeness.
Taken 2 was aimed more at young adults and teenagers. A large step down but still just about passable due to the few connections within the story to the first film. Far better on DVD where necks were snapped audibly and people reacted to being shot by means other than falling over.
Taken 3 is, again, aimed at the younger audience. However this time around, the levels of violence and action are toned down even lower than the 12A-rated superhero movies of late. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 showed more blood and guts than this. On top of that, you have car chases that belong in The Fast and The Furious (complete with car-launching crashes and cars exploding after rolling down a hill) and the Audi logo flashing up more times than an Audi advert. Action scenes become almost unwatchable as the camera cuts from place-to-place with less than a second on certain shots, constant zooming within shots and the camera moving about as if they used a cement mixer instead of a steadicam dolly. If that's not enough, the story also skips ahead on a few occasions with characters doing things without any explanation as to how they came to that decision, and one of the most unnecessary flashbacks ever showing Mills diving out of his car before it rolled down a hill to explode and roll into cover that both protected him from sight and the explosion LIKE HE KNEW IT WAS FUCKING THERE.
Fuck you, Olivier Megaton, I hope you get kidney stones and your significant other leaves you.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:54 am

AnnihiSlateR wrote:I 'acquired' Pride today actually.
I saw it when it was showing in the cinema and loved it. It's one that I think could be top 10, but at the moment I have like 6 films for my 8,9,10 slots.

Out of interest, do you know which cut of Mood Indigo you saw? Or at least how long it was? I hadn't thought much of the fact there were different cuts, but apparently upon reading they are actually very different films, with different elements focussed on. My mate saw the longer directors cut and hated it, whereas I'd seen the shorter UK cut in the cinema and loved it.

I've no idea tbh, I rented the blu ray from Amazon Prime (lovefilm). Can't remember if it gave me an option to begin with. It was the sort of oddball quirky thing I normally like, I just couldn't get interested in it and by the last half hour or so it had completely lost me.

I've seen Birdman and The Theory of Everything so far this year, the first is utterly wonderful, funny, smart, brilliant acting and the right side of surreal...the latter is very pleasant if more of a Sunday afternoon lazy day movie.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Birdman is brilliant!

Looking forward to catching Whiplash and Foxcatcher soon too.

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:23 pm

Applecore wrote:Went to see Taken 3 today.
Taken was a great action movie. Adult themes, strong violence, balls-to-the-wall action awesomeness.
Taken 2 was aimed more at young adults and teenagers. A large step down but still just about passable due to the few connections within the story to the first film. Far better on DVD where necks were snapped audibly and people reacted to being shot by means other than falling over.
Taken 3 is, again, aimed at the younger audience. However this time around, the levels of violence and action are toned down even lower than the 12A-rated superhero movies of late. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 showed more blood and guts than this. On top of that, you have car chases that belong in The Fast and The Furious (complete with car-launching crashes and cars exploding after rolling down a hill) and the Audi logo flashing up more times than an Audi advert. Action scenes become almost unwatchable as the camera cuts from place-to-place with less than a second on certain shots, constant zooming within shots and the camera moving about as if they used a cement mixer instead of a steadicam dolly. If that's not enough, the story also skips ahead on a few occasions with characters doing things without any explanation as to how they came to that decision, and one of the most unnecessary flashbacks ever showing Mills diving out of his car before it rolled down a hill to explode and roll into cover that both protected him from sight and the explosion LIKE HE KNEW IT WAS FUCKING THERE.
Fuck you, Olivier Megaton, I hope you get kidney stones and your significant other leaves you.

Although i'm not surprised it's shit,it's not ALL the director's fault that the violence is toned down.The distributors took it to the BBFC for advice and were told it would need cuts for a 12c-or it would get an uncut 15c.They wanted more people to go see it (the kids) and therefore went for a cut version.I NEVER support a film at the cinema when they do this (Expendables 3,A Good Day To Die Hard are other fairly recent examples of this).I wish the major film mags or the newspapers would mention this on the occasions it happens so more people would know-and hopefully boycott the releases it occurs in.I don't want to see an "adult" film in a cinema surrounded by kids that the film isn't even aimed at.Fuck you Olivier Megaton?..not really,more like FUCK YOU 20TH CENTURY FOX.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:06 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Birdman is brilliant!

Looking forward to catching Whiplash and Foxcatcher soon too.

Yeah, I'm very keen to see Whiplash. Quite a bit of interesting stuff coming out, Ex Machina looked good and there's that big s/f epic from the Wachowski brothers, Jupiter Ascending.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Soze wrote:
AnnihiSlateR wrote:I 'acquired' Pride today actually.
I saw it when it was showing in the cinema and loved it. It's one that I think could be top 10, but at the moment I have like 6 films for my 8,9,10 slots.

Out of interest, do you know which cut of Mood Indigo you saw? Or at least how long it was? I hadn't thought much of the fact there were different cuts, but apparently upon reading they are actually very different films, with different elements focussed on. My mate saw the longer directors cut and hated it, whereas I'd seen the shorter UK cut in the cinema and loved it.

I've no idea tbh, I rented the blu ray from Amazon Prime (lovefilm). Can't remember if it gave me an option to begin with. It was the sort of oddball quirky thing I normally like, I just couldn't get interested in it and by the last half hour or so it had completely lost me.

I've seen Birdman and The Theory of Everything so far this year, the first is utterly wonderful, funny, smart, brilliant acting and the right side of surreal...the latter is very pleasant if more of a Sunday afternoon lazy day movie.

With the sounds of it you saw the longer cut.

They are also the only two I've seen so far, and I have to agree. Lubezki deserves the Oscar again if you ask me, and then a third for Knight of Cups next year (yeah I'm pre-emptively calling it before I've even seen it :p)
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:07 am

mathewxentrix88 wrote:
Applecore wrote:Went to see Taken 3 today.

Although i'm not surprised it's shit,it's not ALL the director's fault that the violence is toned down.The distributors took it to the BBFC for advice and were told it would need cuts for a 12c-or it would get an uncut 15c.They wanted more people to go see it (the kids) and therefore went for a cut version.I NEVER support a film at the cinema when they do this (Expendables 3,A Good Day To Die Hard are other fairly recent examples of this).I wish the major film mags or the newspapers would mention this on the occasions it happens so more people would know-and hopefully boycott the releases it occurs in.I don't want to see an "adult" film in a cinema surrounded by kids that the film isn't even aimed at.Fuck you Olivier Megaton?..not really,more like FUCK YOU 20TH CENTURY FOX.

To be fair, the cuts to make it 12A are just one thing in a huge list of shit that's wrong with the film. I agree that 20th Century Fox are to blame for it being marketed to a younger audience (by the way, there were genuinely children in the screening I went to), but the film itself simply fucking sucks, and that's the blame of Olivier Megaton. He seemingly doesn't know how to make an action movie that isn't formulaic dross. The aggravating fact being that the first Taken film was so successful because it was NOT yet another generic "one man against the odds" flick.

Anyway, I can't stay mad at 20th Century Fox. They put out Birdman, which I saw on Monday.
The best description I've heard of Birdman is that it's effectively the mid-life crisis equivalent of Black Swan. Batshit mental, technically fantastic in terms of camerawork and editing, amazing performances all around and probably the most original film I've seen at the cinema in years.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 pm

Watched Mad City on BBC1 last night, good plot and acting but I think the writing let it down in the end and it plodded to an ending. Surprisingly Travolta worked well as a man slowly losing touch with reality (irony) and Hoffman worked well as a washed up star balancing his morals with his desire to rise to the top again; It's just a shame then that the rest of the casting was...uninspired but luckily the focus didn't leave the main pairing enough to be a big hindrance.

Overall, 5.5 or at a push a 6 /10

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Watching John Wick tonight probably. Having heard about it, then actually seeing who is in it, I'm definitely watching it now.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm

I saw Birdman last night. It reminded me a bit of JCVD.

It's a good film and very well acted, although I was surprised how little the eponymous Birdman actually appeared in it.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:Watching John Wick tonight probably. Having heard about it, then actually seeing who is in it, I'm definitely watching it now.

I liked John Wick. Good, gritty action movie. The title character suited Reeves quite well too.

MetalBeast wrote:I saw Birdman last night. It reminded me a bit of JCVD.

It's a good film and very well acted, although I was surprised how little the eponymous Birdman actually appeared in it.

This is my biggest fear about the success of the film. The trailer didn't really give much of an idea of what the film is about, and I'm a bit concerned that more than a few people will go into it expecting a superhero comedy..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:12 pm

Yeah, there a couple of walk outs when I saw it.

I think the trailer gives enough of an indication that it isn't a conventional film. I certainly got the whole 'in his imagination' actor having a bit of a breakdown vibe from it.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:43 pm

Borgman

Things I learned from watching Borgman:

1. The Dutch are weird.
2. My brain hurts now.

I'd love to tell you what Borgman is about, but I can't. Partially because I don't want to give away any potential spoilers, but mainly because I haven't got a fucking clue what actually went on in those two surreal and confusing hours.
It begins with a vagrant hiding in a forest hidey-hole being chased by a priest with a shotgun. After warning two other vagrant friends hiding in similar underground holes, he goes to a nearby house and asks for a bath but gets beaten up by the man who owns it. Then he turns into a dog. Possibly. Anyway, he goes away for a bit, but comes back clean and tidy, taking the job of gardener and bringing some equally strange friends with him. There's some drugging, some poisoning, some dreams, some wife abuse and casual racism.
Then it gets weird.

The whole thing is a surreal, absurdist nightmare that makes little sense and doesn't even try to. Yet at the same time, the only time I took my eyes off the screen was to throw my hands up in the air to say "what the FUCK?" so I'd say it actually did its job pretty well.
Due to some hints here and there, there's actually a possibility that the main character could be a demon/creature of folklore of some description, but nothing is ever spoken about that and so I could be completely wrong. At this point, that's highly likely. There's also a chance that Borgman and his friends are some kind of nature sprites (don't ask ffs, I'm making this up as I go along), out to turn people away from technology, modern ideals and the rat race, and replace them with a return to the earth and nature.
No, I'm not high.

7/10.
I think?

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:01 am

Might have to do a double bill of that and Manborg.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:05 pm

But would you do Borgman Manborg or Manborg Borgman?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock