movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Near the end of watching lakeview terrace, it's fairly brainless, Samuel L jackson shouting at people for and hour and a half type of thing. His character basically goes completely psycho from the off, with little justification for his racist beliefs. A little backstory would have added a lot to the plot.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:43 pm

DRAG ME TO HELL

When Sam Raimi directs a horror film you know it's not going to be a handled with subtlety or meaningful introspection. This was just mad. It was like watching Evil Dead 2 or Darkman but with more possessed hankies.
It's a good film but essentially a very simple curse story wrapped up in a lot of camera trickery and Boo! scares. Some nice touches of humour throughout (an eyeball homage to Evil Dead 2 and I'm sure that car has appeared in more films than some professional actors) but had an ending that left an awful lot to be desired.

*BRIEF SPOILER*
The death scene at the end was over way too quickly, CGI'd too poorly and the "twist" was more obvious than a big bag of obvious things holding a sign that says This Is Obvious.
*SPOILER END*

But apart from that it was still an entertaining little flick that kept my interest up for the duration.
7/10

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:37 pm

I loved Drag Me To Hell! Thought it was a new kind of horror movie that's been long overdue. Viva La Raimi!

Not been on in a while, so my last 3 newly watched films:

Inglourious Basterds:
Absolutely LOVED it! I refreshing new take on the WWII film with Tarantino's trademark of snappy dialogue and massive, loud action sequences that will leave you shellshocked. Definitely one for the lads, though.
9/10

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist:
I'm a fan of the cute little indie love story movies, and this one was everything I wanted it to be and more. An (almost) believable cast (the title duo being the most realistic by far) and decent performances all around. Opinion from others seems to be split when it comes to this, either people liked it or absolutely hated it. I for one loved it and will most likely be watching it again.
8/10

Serial Mom:
Saw this a few years ago and loved it, picked it up for £2 today and had another look. It's a lot of fun and has a great cast (including a young Matthew Lillard and a rather large Ricki Lake). For those who haven't seen it, the film follows a suburban housewife who sets out to remove the unsavoury characters from her family's life.. forever. Loads of horror movie references, bizarre dialogue (well, it is a John Waters film..) and some interesting kills - definitely one to watch with friends over a few beers.
7/10

Currently watching: The Tattooist.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Harley--Quinn
Consort of the Beast

Postby Harley--Quinn » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Darkweasel wrote:CLIVE BARKER'S BOOK OF BLOOD

Pretty faithful adaptation of the short story but very long-winded and with a pointless wraparound story. It's also very slowly paced, drags on in the middle and you spend a lot of time wishing it would just hurry up.
Still, I've seen a lot worse.
6/10

My fiance worked on the set on that :D We got to go to a crew-only screening of it in Glasgow, and there was free wine at the bar after... Which is just a bad idea. :ugh:

Manadh
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Manadh » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:49 pm

I watched Taken last night and very much enjoyed it.
I'm not too sure what I was expecting, but it exceeded the expectations I am unsure of :eyes:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:57 pm

The Tattooist:
Good concept, a guy accidentally releases an evil force through an ancient Samoan tattoo tool, people die.
But the execution of the film is awful, it's very hard to keep interested.
I may need to give it another look when I'm away from the computer, but I found myself doing other things out of boredom.
I wont give it a rating as I just don't know what to give it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Manadh wrote:I watched Taken last night and very much enjoyed it.
I'm not too sure what I was expecting, but it exceeded the expectations I am unsure of :eyes:

I love Taken so much :D
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

manowarrior
Leather Rebel

Postby manowarrior » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 pm

Final Destination 3d

has heavy metal, nudity, gore, swearing, explosions and fast cars.

it is immense :D
I can see by that look that you have in your eyes, you came here for metal to fight and to die!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:00 am

GRACE

Relatively low budget affair about a pregnant woman losing her husband and her baby in a car accident a few weeks before she's due to give birth. Or so she thinks.
Knowing the baby will be stillborn, she decides to go full term and give birth anyway. However, a few moments after holding her dead baby, the little sproglet miraculously flickers into life and we have a miracle baby.
Almost.
You see, new baby doesn't smell very nice, attracts flies and doesn't like mummy's breast milk. Or any kind of milk as it happens. So what does baby like to eat? Blood, of course. And lots of it.
Interfering grandparents and doctors make life a bit tricky for our new mum and you just know this one isn't going to have a happy ending for all concerned.
Without giving anything away, the final scene of the film isn't so much a twist or shock ending as a punchline to a really sick joke. But it works.

6.5/10

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:36 am

Applecore wrote:
Manadh wrote:I watched Taken last night and very much enjoyed it.

I love Taken so much :D

Me too, surprised me how much I enjoyed it :)

I am considering disowning my very dear friend on the basis that she inflicted the Dungeons and Dragons Movie on me.

0/10 wouldn't come close to how bad that thing is. Doesn't Jeremy Irons have some sort of agent that's supposed to save him from rubbish like this? Originally his over-acting is amusing, it becomes less so when you realise he's over-acting to try and make up for the fact that no-one else in the flim can act :x

Note to bald bad guy flunky: talking that slowly does not make you look evil, it makes you look stupid! :lol:

Worst waste of nearly 2 hours I've ever experienced. :cry:
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:25 pm

manowarrior wrote:Final Destination 3d

I'm going to see it tonight :D should be a good giggle

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:04 pm

Lick Mars wrote:
manowarrior wrote:Final Destination 3d

I'm going to see it tonight :D should be a good giggle

I really hope it's better than the third one. That was just an inexcusably awful pile of shit. I ended up skipping through most of it. The story was non-existent, the set pieces ranged between mildly entertaining and rubbish, the script was ghastly, and the acting even worse.
I really can't see this one being any better, 3-D gimmickry or not.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:24 pm

Planning to see The Final Destination (in 2D) tomorrow.
To he honest, even if all it has to offer is gory and inventive kills then I'll be happy.
Frankly I'd rather see it in 2D first incase it's gash - I won't have paid £10 for my ticket (let alone getting to a 3D cinema).
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:09 pm

I saw the 3rd one at the pictures and me and my mum were laughing all the way through! I agree its crap, that was the worst one yet! The only one with a hint of credibility was the 1st one.

I wasn't going to bother going to see this one, but when I found out it was in 3D I thought it'll be a good laugh, I mean when you've seen the others you know exactly what to expect. Its just about finding the stupidest and most over the top way die, car crash telly really (or car crash film, literally lol). My usual cinema has it in 3D and its only an extra £2 (£8.60 adult I think), I wouldn't bother with 2D. Gonna go for a few drinks before , it might seem even better then lolol

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Just watched The Damned United. The story of Brian Cloughs 44 day reign as manager of Leeds United. Bloody good stuff, really enjoyed it. Only slight gripe is the too-ing and fro-ing between 1969 and 1974. Starring Michael Sheen (he played frost in frost/nixon) as Brian Clough, he gives a good representation of ol' big 'ed, and a good supporting cast with colm meany, timothy spall and jim broadbent

Recomended to watch if your a footy fan!
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson