movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
onona
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: movies

Postby onona » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:17 am

Applecore wrote:The original? Or did you mean Quentin Tarantino's new film, "Inglourious Basterds"?
If you meant the original, I've heard good things and am planning to find the DVD tomorrow (it's been re-released to coincide with Tarantino's new offering).
If you meant QT's film, then yes I have and it's FUCKING AMAZING. Now get off the internet and go see it.

The older film isn't the original, it's actually a totally different film. Tarantino just liked the name, which is why he took it for his film. So if you're looking for the old one, don't expect it to be the same story.

Inglorious Basterds is quite possibly my favourite film so far this year.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:27 pm

onona wrote:
Applecore wrote:The original? Or did you mean Quentin Tarantino's new film, "Inglourious Basterds"?
If you meant the original, I've heard good things and am planning to find the DVD tomorrow (it's been re-released to coincide with Tarantino's new offering).
If you meant QT's film, then yes I have and it's FUCKING AMAZING. Now get off the internet and go see it.

The older film isn't the original, it's actually a totally different film. Tarantino just liked the name, which is why he took it for his film.

That's what I meant by "original" ;)
I bought it the other day.. yesterday, in fact. Haven't got around to watching it yet, but will soon.
Also bought:
Hot Rod
Inland Empire
Burn After Reading
BASEketball
Cry-Baby

So far I've seen Hot Rod, Inland Empire, BASEketball and Cry-Baby. Reviews in next post (this one's doing the scrollbar thing.. ugh.
Last edited by Applecore on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Right, where was I?

HOT ROD:
Rod Kimble is a wannabe stuntman, trying to live up to the legacy of his dead father (who he believes was a stuntman) and also win the respect of his Stepdad, Frank (Ian McShane) by kicking his ass. When he hears Frank is dying, he gets angry when he realises that Frank may die before he can kick his ass, and therefore sets out to raise money for an operation that will save his life.
Full of ridiculous situations and, well, that's about it.. Hot Rod is a lot of fun and I don't think I've laughed as hard watching a film since I saw Pineapple Express at the cinema.
Well worth a watch, only a fiver from HMV - AND it has Europe for most of the soundtrack!
8/10

CRY-BABY:
Normally I steer well clear of John Waters movies, I don't know why, but the bloke just creeps me out.. But a rockabilly musical starring Johnny Depp? Eh, why not.
Needless to say, I FUCKING LOVED THIS MOVIE. Think Grease (as far as the Greasers - or "Drapes", as they're called in this film - and Squares go..) with better songs, a better cast and no weird guilty feeling you get from staring at Olivia Newton John in leather trousers.
9/10

INLAND EMPIRE:
David Lynch's latest weirdfest is 3 hours long, the DVD has no chapters and at the end you'll be as clueless as you were after the first 15mins.
But it's artsy 'n shit and I do quite like the Lynchmeister (yes, I actually just said that).
Can't really "/10" it though as I just don't know..

BASEKETBALL:
Eh, you've all seen it. It fucking rules.
8/10
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:26 pm

I was made to see Orphan the other night. Do not like.

My gf expects to be taken to see The Final Destination. I fainted watching the first; think I'm going to watch another? I'd rather have the kitchen knives fall on me.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:30 pm

jackcake wrote:I was made to see Orphan the other night. Do not like.

My gf expects to be taken to see The Final Destination. I fainted watching the first; think I'm going to watch another? I'd rather have the kitchen knives fall on me.

My freind went to see the 3D version, apart from the 3D not working in the least he said is was one of the worst films he's seen all year. He's seen both Transformers 2 and GI JOE as well, so it's saying a lot.

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:My freind went to see the 3D version

Even if I wanted to, I can see precious little in my right eye so 3D glasses don't work, even the modern ones. This was particularly disappointing when The Sun were giving glasses away with their papers when they did a Page 3D promo some 20 years ago... :eyes:
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:01 pm

Just seen District 9. It's awesome.

Unlike the Sun's review, I'll leave it at that rather than blurting out spoilers.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

kle110
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby kle110 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:02 pm

jackcake wrote:I was made to see Orphan the other night. Do not like.

Don't worry, watching Orphan made up for not going to see that. I really liked that film. Awesome twists in it. I'm not too fussed on Final Destination anyways. Lame reference to the film by the way hehe, nah joking xx :P

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:07 pm

MetalBeast wrote:Just seen District 9. It's awesome.

Unlike the Sun's review, I'll leave it at that rather than blurting out spoilers.

There's nothing more annoying than reading a review and it basically just being one long synopsis, like this happens, then this happens and that happens.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:10 pm

andeh wrote:

There's nothing more annoying than reading a review and it basically just being one long synopsis, like this happens, then this happens and that happens.

There is something more annoying: trailers where it tells you pretty much every major event that's going to happen in the movie.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:11 pm

MetalBeast wrote:
andeh wrote:There's nothing more annoying than reading a review and it basically just being one long synopsis, like this happens, then this happens and that happens.

There is something more annoying: trailers where it tells you pretty much every major event that's going to happen in the movie.

Both cloud my eyes with red..
That and people saying "I don't to give too much away but *MAJOR EVENT THAT YOU WONT SEE COMING* happens, that causes *SOME OTHER IMPORTANT STUFF* to happen. But it's shit so let's not watch that".
To be honest, I fucking hate people telling me what not to watch. If someone found something shit then who's to say I will, too? Most of my mates groan in disapproval when they hear Saw VI is due this October, which gives me little hope of seeing the fucker at the cinema. I hate missing out on films I want to see because certain friends are shit.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Harley--Quinn
Consort of the Beast

Postby Harley--Quinn » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:47 pm

Who gives a crap what they think about movies anyway? Not I- I'm going to see District 9 tomorrow, I look forward to it.

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:50 pm

it's fucking awesome...
Alex. wrote:This record better be as fit as Bezerker's ex's sister or I'm gonna be pissed.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:23 am

MetalBeast wrote:
andeh wrote:

Does anybody else remember when the backs of video covers would give you the entire plot of the admn film, including the ending?

Re: the trailers thing. Yes. It kinda kills the suspense when you know, for instance, that the Joes aren't going to stop the Eiffel tower collapsing because some numpty put it all in the trailer.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:59 am

You deserved it for actually reading the Sun.