movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
herzeleid
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby herzeleid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:43 am

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:
Applecore wrote:Thinking I might watch Lakeview Terrace and Choke tomorrow. Thoughts, anyone?

Lakeview is a decent little 'scary' neighbour movie, Samuel L. Jackson plays his part very well, nothing brilliant but worth a watch.

Choke is different, filled with black humour & benifits greatly from having Sam Rockwell as lead, not too everyones taste but pretty good.

I was just gonna add that I saw Lakeview Terrace. It's a solid film yeah, Jackson is very good in it, but then you could have guessed that.

deeno
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby deeno » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:24 am

Ensorcelled wrote:I watched The Road the other night. Not really as depressing as I expected it to be. Disappointed.

Still, a good film regardless.

Love that - disappointed at not being depressing enough :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:33 am

lars_ulrichs_blister wrote:Invictus - Nelson Mandella (Morgan Freeman) Inspires the south african rugby team t owin the rugby world cup and unite south africa. Average at best with some of the worst acting ive seen on the rugby field.

3/10

Is it really that bad? I downloaded this a couple of weeks ago but haven't got round to it yet. Freeman was nominated for a Golden Globe for it, surely it can't be all that bad.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:46 pm

herzeleid wrote:
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:
Applecore wrote:Thinking I might watch Lakeview Terrace and Choke tomorrow. Thoughts, anyone?

Lakeview is a decent little 'scary' neighbour movie, Samuel L. Jackson plays his part very well, nothing brilliant but worth a watch.

Choke is different, filled with black humour & benifits greatly from having Sam Rockwell as lead, not too everyones taste but pretty good.

I was just gonna add that I saw Lakeview Terrace. It's a solid film yeah, Jackson is very good in it, but then you could have guessed that.

Samuel L Jackson played the intimidating racist role really well. Was a good film that really surprised me.

Choke was pretty good, too. I think Aaaarrrrgggghhhh is right in saying that it benefits greatly from having such a great lead, but I think Chuck Palahniuk's writing also helped.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
lars_ulrichs_blister wrote:Invictus - Nelson Mandella (Morgan Freeman) Inspires the south african rugby team t owin the rugby world cup and unite south africa. Average at best with some of the worst acting ive seen on the rugby field.

3/10

Is it really that bad? I downloaded this a couple of weeks ago but haven't got round to it yet. Freeman was nominated for a Golden Globe for it, surely it can't be all that bad.

Im not a big fan of sports films tbh, so i was dubious to begin with, but to its credit Freeman plays Mandella well. But, i keep on expecting Matt Damon to pull a gun out and shoot everyone on the rugby pitch. Still, thats just my opinion though and id say watch it anyway and see what you think.
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Just finished watching Moon, good film, one that I should have given more than half my attention to.

Amelia
Consort of the Beast

Postby Amelia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:59 am

just watched jennifer's body. it was one of the worst pieces of shit i've ever seen. it didn't even have the decency to be in the "so bad it's good" category. i wasn't expecting much from it, but it still managed to disappoint me.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:36 am

Amelia wrote:just watched jennifer's body. it was one of the worst pieces of shit i've ever seen. it didn't even have the decency to be in the "so bad it's good" category. i wasn't expecting much from it, but it still managed to disappoint me.

Agreed. Dreadful film.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:04 pm

The Book Of Eli.

I know a lot of people will compare it to 'The Road', because of the post-apolocalyptic setting, but it's quite different & not even in the same league.

It's a by the numbers, religion fuelled mess that only benefits from 1 or 2 decent performances & a couple of good fight scenes.

Basically it's 'The Postman' without the horses. 4/10

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:06 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:The Book Of Eli.

I know a lot of people will compare it to 'The Road', because of the post-apolocalyptic setting, but it's quite different & not even in the same league.

It's a by the numbers, religion fuelled mess that only benefits from 1 or 2 decent performances & a couple of good fight scenes.

Damn the trailer looked good, and he is one of my favourite actors :(

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Bought "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" today. Fucking love that film, easily in my top 5 of 2009.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:04 pm

http://www.visual-things.com/world-builder-shortmovie/

World Builder, an amazing short film, only 10 minutes out of your day.

Anyone else got any short movies? Really been getting into them lately.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Watched Predator earlier, currently watching The Running Man.
Conan the Destroyer next, methinks...
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Dan Jenkins
Denim Demon

Postby Dan Jenkins » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Last edited by Dan Jenkins on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaron_stacey
Leather Rebel

Postby aaron_stacey » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:The Book Of Eli.

saw the trailer at the cinema for that and thought for the first few seconds fallout the movie! :lol: :lol:
"let us ponder on the meaning of life" "no no no holy fuck no!"