A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby houston4044 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:48 pm

fluffymoo wrote:Not sure what to make of my second counseling session this morning. I also seem incapable of crying at the moment, which means there's a lot of bottled up emotions. I've been told I need to get angry more often.

Only your second session, hopefully things will get better soon :)

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:06 pm

Took me a few sessions with my counsellor before things started to make sense. I felt very weepy after each one for a few weeks. Maybe it will be the other way round for you.

Somewhere along the line things seemed to click into place and I started thinking differently without even realising it at first.

Keep with it Moo, hopefully it will be the same for you too :yes:
ScrumpiesVeteran: "a great big bloke that smells of apples" - NOT !!!!

Katesyl
Paster of Muppets

Postby Katesyl » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:42 am

Again, I don't think counsellors are supposed to be giving advice anyway - as far as I'm aware they should provide an environment for you to work through things yourself.

Obviously everyone has slightly different approaches though. Just a case of finding out what works for you, I guess. I think it's normal to feel a bit weird and exposed at first. Things like that often make me feel like I haven't said the right thing or quite expressed myself properly, but you wouldn't be human if you could get everything you've ever felt across in a couple of sessions.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:33 am

I remember it being proper horrible at first, I would cry every session, and then things actually started making sense. I didn't go for very long, but I always find myself thinking back to what was said to me in that room.
I feel happy in my life, but if I had the money I'd definitely go again, its brilliant what you can learn about yourself.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:35 am

I've only had one councelling session where I nearly broke down about 3 times and realised some important things about me and my brothers sibling relationship.

I should really pick it up again, but it'll probably be way harder now to get an appointment now that I'm not actually suffering from depression, and my anxiety's way down.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:43 pm

I found CBT mostly useless, but NLP got me out of the giant hole I'd dug myself into. Each to their own of course, but I had three different therapists/counsellors before I actually started getting better.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:02 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
Metalchemyst wrote:I would take counselling advice with a degree of scepticism. A counsellor is in a position to make powerful suggestions which can be harmful.

And undermining someone's trust in a counsellor isn't harmful at all right? :rolleyes:

peypea wrote:Yeah dude, that's definitely not an okay thing to say.

I'm afraid I'm with Metalchemyst on this one. I've seen good counsellors really make a difference to people's lives but equally I've seen bad counsellors make the situation significantly worse. Blindly trusting a counsellor just because that's what they are is IMHO a dangerous starting point.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:10 pm

I'm not naïve enough to go into every session thinking my counselor will fix everything in my life, I'm not blindly trusting her to magically fix me as a person - what she is doing is unraveling a lot of my past and helping me work through it. I had a really crappy counselor a few years back that worked with the college I was in - she made promises she couldn't keep, which left a bitter taste in my mouth about the whole professional help side of things. At the moment though, it feels like I leave my current sessions feeling calmer and less destructive. All in all, things seem to be working. 4 sessions left, then we'll see where we're at.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:59 pm

fluffymoo wrote:At the moment though, it feels like I leave my current sessions feeling calmer and less destructive.

In which case, it sounds like they're working.

Plus, you get many, many bonus point from me for using a diaeresis and spelling "naïve" correctly.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:16 pm

:yes:

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:37 pm

I think whisky might become my 'thing' when I can afford it, possibly superseding ale.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Yeah, likewise.

I was lucky enough that work had a good budget for my birthday and one of them was clever enough to email my girlfriend, resulting in me getting a bottle of Ardbeg 10yo, and I've since got a bottle of Laphroig 10yo for Christmas too. So I've not done too bad this last 6 months for whisky. I think that also gives you an indication of my whisky tastes. :p
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:00 pm

Both excellent choices there! Especially Ardbeg. Tastes like your mouth is full of smouldering peat. Love the stuff.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:06 pm

I tried Ardbeg 10y/o in the cocktail bar the other weekend. Lovely complex flavour that I was doing my best to savour given how much I paid. Wanna try the Uigeadail one next.

Don't bother with Jura Origin (10) by the way. Tastes nice but wholly uninteresting for the money.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Laphroig. A good choice for heaven in a bottle if ever there was.