A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon May 25, 2015 4:07 pm

I don't know the system in Ireland. But always make sure you get your stamps. I know plenty of people who never bothered for various reasons and when it comes to retirement they haven't got enough to get a full pension.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Mon May 25, 2015 6:10 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't know the system in Ireland. But always make sure you get your stamps. I know plenty of people who never bothered for various reasons and when it comes to retirement they haven't got enough to get a full pension.

By the time we retire we'll be 78 and the state pension will be 45p a week.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Mon May 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Also, your local MP will come around once a week to staple a badger to your pants.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:01 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't know the system in Ireland. But always make sure you get your stamps. I know plenty of people who never bothered for various reasons and when it comes to retirement they haven't got enough to get a full pension.

and Tool will have released about two more albums by then :lol:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Wait, what are stamps, how do I get them, why do I need them, how do they affect my pension.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon May 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Jobdone wrote:

Wait, what are stamps, how do I get them, why do I need them, how do they affect my pension.

Stamps were abolished in 1975. If every payslip you have has an NI deduction alongside your Income Tax deduction, and you have claimed jobseekers when you weren't earning then you're golden.

If you go for months without having a job or being on jobseekers, the tax system sees a deficit in your NI contributions, and you'll usually get a letter about it.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 25, 2015 7:54 pm

Oh okay. That makes sense. Cheers.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon May 25, 2015 8:05 pm

People still call them stamps though.

keera_envenomed wrote:

It's alright I'm fine. I was just in the threshold before they raise it to 67. Whether I live that long is debatable though. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Mon May 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Womble wrote:
Potato-Jim wrote:I'm at this weird crossroads where I'm not finished University (excluding repeat exams) and now I have to figure out what to do next. Where to move, who to live with, sorting the dole out, finding a decent paying job. If this is being a grown-up, I don't like it. :lol:

Your first reaction is to go on the dole? Dude...

So I should live on nothing until I do find a job? Great idea!

Womble
Denim Demon

Postby Womble » Tue May 26, 2015 6:49 pm

Potato-Jim wrote:
Womble wrote:
Potato-Jim wrote:I'm at this weird crossroads where I'm not finished University (excluding repeat exams) and now I have to figure out what to do next. Where to move, who to live with, sorting the dole out, finding a decent paying job. If this is being a grown-up, I don't like it. :lol:

Or get any job rather than leeching the state until you find an 'appropriate' one?

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Tue May 26, 2015 6:52 pm

Any paying job is a decent paying job, hence the need to acquire jobseekers until I do get any job.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue May 26, 2015 7:58 pm

I leeched off the state for like 6 months because I didn't wanna touch retail.

Now I'm in a job I enjoy, learning new stuff, getting a decent wage.

No regrets.

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Tue May 26, 2015 8:29 pm

A lot of the jobs my course involved require internship first, and for some reason many of these internships only seem to pay on top of dole, rather than instead of it.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Tue May 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Womble wrote:
Potato-Jim wrote:
Womble wrote:

Or get any job rather than leeching the state until you find an 'appropriate' one?

Implying you can even get any job immediately with ease. Dunno where you live but in Nottingham it can take hundreds of applications just to grab a quick minimum wage job...
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Wed May 27, 2015 6:47 pm

FOR FUCK'S SAKE WIL.... er, AM... oh... DAN, wait... AND... eh? SAM.... no... BEN!?

Why does everyone on this forum suddenly decide to have a cunty spell? You all started out so beautiful :cry: were we really all such bad forum parents?
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.