A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby NeglectedField » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:43 pm

Weirdo Queen fanboy from Wolverhampton forced me to have a convo with him at the Gryphon on Wednesday. After initial reluctance from me and guilt tripping on his part I humoured him for a bit but I was thinking all the time "where the fuck are my mates? when's the gig gonna start?" I'm actually really bad at dealing with randoms in general but I was kinda jittery all evening even though I'd had at least 4 pints.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:43 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
Metalchemyst wrote:If they did that in this country some psycho would eventually shoot the cats.

What about Felix, the Huddesfield station cat? They made her chief pest controller and she has a cat flap in the ticket barrier! She has a Facebook page. People mainly just take pictures and send her treats.
I was thinking of this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... -shot-dead

But, yeah, it would be hard for someone to get away with it in a station.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:51 am

What's with Donald Trump's sniffing? Last time he said it was his microphone. Me thinks he's been sniffing something. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:21 pm

Now there's dives and there's dives. This looks like a fine one. Reminds me of certain pubs around town. :lol:

Even includes a collection box with "Please Don't Forget The Kittie" on it which I assume is for the pub cat in one of the photos.

http://mashable.com/2016/10/01/sammys-b ... djPEBr2iqA
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:36 pm

Another irate string of emails to MCPS/PRS...

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:46 pm

----------------
Last edited by Metalchemyst on Wed May 24, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:26 pm

Things I like, totally didn't do out of paranoia/gullibility today:

Buy Pot Noodle and Marmite for old time's sake.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:10 pm

It's just manufacturers and retailers being dicks. No accident that Tesco's CEO used to work for Unilever.

You can buy Pot Noodles 3 for a quid in Home and Bargain.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:00 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Now there's dives and there's dives. This looks like a fine one. Reminds me of certain pubs around town. :lol:

Even includes a collection box with "Please Don't Forget The Kittie" on it which I assume is for the pub cat in one of the photos.

http://mashable.com/2016/10/01/sammys-b ... djPEBr2iqA

That's got nothing on McEnaneys in West Belfast, also known as The Gravediggers on account of the proximity to Milltown Cemetery and its clientele. Half the regulars dug the holes and the other half supplied the bodies. It's all fancy now that women are allowed in pubs, but well into the 70's they say it had straw on the floor and spitoons at the end of every table :lol:
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:29 am

NeglectedField wrote:Things I like, totally didn't do out of paranoia/gullibility today:

Buy Pot Noodle and Marmite for old time's sake.

fairly convinced the whole thing was a marketing ploy, given how the particular foodstuffs were so 'culturally british' and it got 'resolved' almost instantly after the news story had had enough time to do the rounds.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:That's got nothing on McEnaneys in West Belfast, also known as The Gravediggers on account of the proximity to Milltown Cemetery and its clientele. Half the regulars dug the holes and the other half supplied the bodies. It's all fancy now that women are allowed in pubs, but well into the 70's they say it had straw on the floor and spitoons at the end of every table :lol:

Still places like that round here. :lol:

It was more that it looked a good place to go rather than it's scumminess. I like places with characters.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:09 pm

What I really came here to say was that I noticed at the bottom of the screen that George Bailey is 20. :o

I know he looked like a middle aged bloke :P , but I think he was only about 16 not that long ago....

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:36 pm

My longest standing friend's wife (I've known them since ages 3 and 5 respectively) came out as transgender on Facebook yesterday, now identifying as male. Taken me very much by surprise but they'll still be together. It's been received well by friends and I support someone's decision to transition if it makes them happy. Hopefully the parents will be understanding and loving as ever.

Although they live abroad anyway, this ought to have no bearing on our friendship. At the same time it's quite something to y'know, process, especially as they're the first transgender person I know (ignoring friends of friends and internet people I never met IRL). It's a different level to someone simply coming out as gay/bi, which people are becoming less and less fazed by.

And then it feels wrong to feel that way because it's trans people themselves that have to deal with something so existentially conflicting. The onus is on the rest of us to be as accommodating as possible, even when you don't know the specifics like if/when they're gonna go through HRT/reassignment; it's their own business whether, when and with whom they choose to share such details. And of course there's referring to them as they ask people to - we might mock the whole pronouns thing because of people on Tumblr taking it to some absurd level but in real life you've gotta be an adult. In any case, maybe it's time I got to know someone who's going through such an experience.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:13 am

I think that may be my grandfather in the background. He was Brigitte Bardot's stunt double on the film Babette Goes To War.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Debating whether to go see Lynched at St George's Hall tomorrow. Saw them around this time last year, wondering whether to bother again at nearly £20.