A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Big D
Denim Demon

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby Big D » Sun May 25, 2008 4:34 pm

gelder wrote:How do you loose a sock when your wearing it?? I managed it last night. The mind boggles....

How can you put a dozen socks into a washing machine and get 11 back out? How can you deliberately purchase only black or dark blue socks and still end up with one stray that's pale green?
The ways of socks are beyond all but the finest minds.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sun May 25, 2008 5:02 pm

An odd sock can be filled with ballbearings and used as a weapon.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Zancan
Warrior of Metal

Postby Zancan » Sun May 25, 2008 7:15 pm

I havent found it full stop. Im quite confused about the whole thing

Think of yourself as a sock. Where would you go?

;)

Azrael~Azure
Consort of the Beast

Postby Azrael~Azure » Sun May 25, 2008 7:42 pm

gelder wrote:How do you loose a sock when your wearing it?? I managed it last night. The mind boggles....

Did you lose a foot? :P :)
(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshipped. Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man.

Xzar
Denim Demon

Postby Xzar » Sun May 25, 2008 8:56 pm

Losing socks is occasionally like the times when you drop a biro and look around your floor, scouring every square inch, to find it has simply disappeared and you will never find that biro again. It's just how they roll. Ha.

Zancan
Warrior of Metal

Postby Zancan » Mon May 26, 2008 1:27 pm

I dropped a pound coin into a some grassy grass, and I couldn't find it at all, so I asked the guy walking around with with the metal detector - this was on a caravan park - but he wouldn't help me. So after following him around for ages he eventually gave me some of the old coins he found, which probably amounted to about 7p. So I didn't get any candy floss that day :(

But that pound was outta there. Gutted, was me.

Melvyn
Consort of the Beast

Postby Melvyn » Mon May 26, 2008 1:39 pm

You got some old coins at least

Zancan
Warrior of Metal

Postby Zancan » Mon May 26, 2008 1:45 pm

They weren't very cool. I think they were just dirty 1/2 pences.

Or maybe they weren't :eyes: . I can't remember now, I was quite little at the time XD Hence the caravaning, candy floss, and one pound spending money ;)

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Mon May 26, 2008 10:44 pm

There's a paranormal theory that objects sometimes actually disappear/teleport away:

In November 2003, the SPR focused its Study Day on the “jottle.” The jottle, we are told in April 2004 Paranormal Review, “Is a particular form of JOTT (Just One of Those Things), a general term for discontinuities with time and place.” Mary Rose Barrington has identified six variants of the jottle:

1) Walkabout: The basic jottle; when an object disappears from a known location and reappears in a new location.
2) Comeback: An object disappears and later reappears in the same place.
3) Flyaway: The object disappears and never comes back.
4) Turn-up: An object appears in a location where it couldn’t have been before.
5) Windfall: An object appears that has never been seen before.
6) Trade-in: An object disappears, and is replaced with a similar object.

The article written by Nicola Holt tells us that, “The jottle is distinguished from apports in séances and bereavement cases, or from the movement of objects in poltergeist cases, the term referring to discontinuities out of the context of an ongoing paranormal event or syndrome.”

From Study Day No. 45: “Discontinuities: Things That Come, Go and Relocate” by Nicola Holt, The Paranormal Review, April 2004, Issue 30.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Mon May 26, 2008 11:13 pm

That's similiar to something else I've heard about: The Props Department.

The idea is that when something vanishes for no apparent reason it's down to The Props Department. So what you do is you stand in the dentre of the room and ask them nicely if you can have it back. Then go into the next room and with a bit of luck it will reappear.

I am not making this up and I am not on drugs.

Melvyn
Consort of the Beast

Postby Melvyn » Tue May 27, 2008 12:03 am

Big D wrote: I am not making this up and I am not on drugs.

Whereas I am.

Making it up, that i am on drugs.

Xzar
Denim Demon

Postby Xzar » Tue May 27, 2008 3:29 pm

What silly theories and superstitions, it's obvious that you drop something and the concrete laws of physics simply dictate that said object merely lands in a place where you are very unlikely to find it, such as behind you.

The things people come up with to sever themselves from reality, honestly :lol:

Samildanach
Leather Rebel

Postby Samildanach » Tue May 27, 2008 11:22 pm

Metalchemyst wrote:There's a paranormal theory that objects sometimes actually disappear/teleport away:

In November 2003, the SPR focused its Study Day on the “jottle.” The jottle, we are told in April 2004 Paranormal Review, “Is a particular form of JOTT (Just One of Those Things), a general term for discontinuities with time and place.” Mary Rose Barrington has identified six variants of the jottle:

1) Walkabout: The basic jottle; when an object disappears from a known location and reappears in a new location.

The article written by Nicola Holt tells us that, “The jottle is distinguished from apports in séances and bereavement cases, or from the movement of objects in poltergeist cases, the term referring to discontinuities out of the context of an ongoing paranormal event or syndrome.”

From Study Day No. 45: “Discontinuities: Things That Come, Go and Relocate” by Nicola Holt, The Paranormal Review, April 2004, Issue 30.

:lol: I get a lot of Walkabouts and a shitload of Windfalls. The number of things that turn up in places they couldn't possibly have got to... That's why I liked 'glitches' in the Matrix. I get them all the bloody time.
Oh, hi. I'm not Hollywood Steve. You caught me typing a new signature. This is the story of Kenny Loggins writing 'Footloose'.

Azrael~Azure
Consort of the Beast

Postby Azrael~Azure » Tue May 27, 2008 11:28 pm

Metalchemyst wrote:There's a paranormal theory that objects sometimes actually disappear/teleport away:

That's rubbish. People lose stuff and have no conscious recollection of ever moving it, simple as.
(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshipped. Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man.

Melvyn
Consort of the Beast

Postby Melvyn » Tue May 27, 2008 11:34 pm

Azrael~Azure wrote:
That's rubbish. People lose stuff and have no conscious recollection of ever moving it, simple as.

Til the day comes when one of your cameras dissappears out of your very hands...

And ends up in Crete