A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby Metalchemyst » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:05 pm

Ancestry profiles from the recently released Irish DNA Atlas project:

DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:24 pm

So mostly a uniquely Irish gene type, with some British, Norman and Norse. No great surprises there!
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Black Wizard
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:26 pm

I don't understand the bar chart. The colours appear to represent different reference populations (whatever that means) with the largest reference population in each region of the British Isles being French. I can't see any historical reason for there to be such a high percentage (>30%) of French Ancestry in Orkney. Does the bar chart show the ancestry of the non-unique genes or something?

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:38 pm

It says you're all a bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys!

And your women look like this...

“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:38 pm

I've watched far too many Carry On films these last few days. I think I'm up to something like 16 so far. :o
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:43 am

Blimey! No one about? This place used to be busy at NYE....

Happy New Year Everyone! :yes:

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:24 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Blimey! No one about? This place used to be busy

Fixed that for you
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Happy new year, all. :)
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:56 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I don't understand the bar chart. The colours appear to represent different reference populations (whatever that means) with the largest reference population in each region of the British Isles being French. I can't see any historical reason for there to be such a high percentage (>30%) of French Ancestry in Orkney. Does the bar chart show the ancestry of the non-unique genes or something?

The full report: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-17124-4

They compared fine scale DNA from British Isles populations to DNA from other European pops. to see what %s were reflected. I don't think it rules out original Irish/British genetic mutations but I don't know how much of those there are.

The match with the French is thought to date from well before the Norman Conquest and the Anglo-Saxon invasions and probably comes from migrations in the Bronze Age or even earlier - the people who became the Celts. I've seen a few studies now which estimate Anglo-Saxon admixture in England being well below 50%.

In addition to the population structure found within Ireland, we have demonstrated that Ireland has a distinct ancestry profile in our regression-based admixture analysis. We identify a high level of France-like ancestry being driven by a single French cluster with high North-Western French membership. The North-West of France has previously been shown to have genetic links with Celtic populations in Britain. Therefore the large signal we observe within Ireland could reflect Ireland as a ‘sink’ of Celtic ancestry, considering its isolation compared to other British Celtic groups. Considering the links from north-west France to other Celtic populations, we do not interpret this as a ‘Norman’ signal. The ancestry profiles also consists of a surprising level of Norwegian related ancestry, especially considering previous attempts to detect ‘Norse Viking’ admixture into Ireland have been inconclusive. Ireland presents the second highest amount of Norwegian ancestry in our analysis after Orkney, where Norse Viking admixture is a well-described feature. All areas traditionally associated with Norse Viking activity (Ireland, Scotland, and Orkney) present relatively high levels of Norwegian-like ancestry.

They did an analysis for Norwegians as well:

Even they have French and Spanish elements which must represent some ancient migration(s), maybe post Ice-Age.
Last edited by Metalchemyst on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Waes hael!

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Pubs may stay open longer for the royal wedding....

It's on a Saturday. Surely most pubs that want to stay open later are open later anyway?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42595480

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:58 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Pubs may stay open longer for the royal wedding....

It's on a Saturday. Surely most pubs that want to stay open later are open later anyway?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42595480

Had to laugh at the news report on TV the other day that equated the pubs opening longer on the day of the wedding with support of the monarchy....Think they overlooked the fact that people just want an excuse to go out drinking :lol:

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:24 pm

The FA and Scottish Cup Finals are on that day- People will be in the pub anyway....

Black Wizard
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:23 pm

Harry's wedding in the morning, Scottish Cup final at 3pm, FA Cup final at 5:30 pm. What a day. Those finals clashed with Iron Maiden at the O2 last year. Sad!

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:50 pm

The Scottish Cup Final?

I think that's when the Watching Paint Dry Final is on. Much more interesting.