A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:53 pm

Like measles, polio and other diseases it was virtually eradicated when I was a kid. Then everyone stopped getting their jabs and it came back. :rolleyes:

When I was in Uni I got vaccinated for virtually everything because it was free for students that went on field trips to foreign countries. Yellow fever, typhoid, rabies, hepatitis, etc. The furthest we went was Shropshire. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:58 pm

I remember with BCGs the whole brother teasing me about "you're gonna have to get that done and it hurts LOADS!" and then when that 'dreaded' day rolled around, yeah it stung a bit more than most injections but it was alright. The more memorable thing was everyone going "argh don't brush against my BCG!" and one time this guy got a jolly punch in the arm and the pus splattered all over his shirt.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:10 pm

Mine was awful. I'd regularly wake up with damp patches of pus by my arm, or I'd be playing football and the friction of material on skin would break the skin and mixture of blood and pus would stick to my shirt, and I'd have to peel it off again afterwards and it'd bleed again. I'm sure it went on for months.

But yeah, 'birthday beats' were hell for those with birthdays in the weeks that followed.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:17 pm

I didn't have mine done (thank fuck) due to Sweden being awesome and giving me all my injections when I was a baby 8)

JamieH
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby JamieH » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:18 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:Mine was awful. I'd regularly wake up with damp patches of pus by my arm, or I'd be playing football and the friction of material on skin would break the skin and mixture of blood and pus would stick to my shirt, and I'd have to peel it off again afterwards and it'd bleed again. I'm sure it went on for months.

But yeah, 'birthday beats' were hell for those with birthdays in the weeks that followed.

In my school it didn't matter if it was your birthday or not, people went around bunching each other where they got the BCG anyway. I somehow managed to escape getting mine hit, don't really know how I managed that :lol:

But yeah, I had the BCG, so I highly doubt it is TB.

CrappyMike wrote:jones is a fool, i have no sympathy for him really. there are better fighters than him so its not a huge loss to UFC, although its definitely a loss.

I'm really interested to see how the trial turns out.. If it was another high profile UFC fighter they'd probably get a slap on the wrist, but Jones has previous DUI and drug charges so he may not get off that lightly. A Fox legal representative seems to think he'll get 3 years in jail.

He's fucked himself either way. Lost his title, suspended indefinitely, possible jail sentence, lost his Reebok sponsorship and the woman he hit will obviously sue the fuck out of him.

I liked him as a fighter, but thought he was a bellend as a person. Looks like McGregor will be Dana's new star child for a good while after this with Jones and Silva's drug fiasco.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Nantha wrote:I didn't have mine done (thank fuck) due to Sweden being awesome and giving me all my injections when I was a baby 8)

Everyone gets a standard set of vacccines as babies; tetanus, measles, rubella, polio, etc.

Some countries do BCG at 15, then tetanus & polio boosters at 16.

You're supposed to get tetanus boosters every 10 years I think if you're at risk, travelling, working out in the open, etc.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Yeah I got my BCG as a baby with all the rest. I dont know why they dont just do that everywhere, sucks to have it as a teenager, because then you get the scar as well

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:15 pm

I had mine done when I was 4 or 5, I think because I was going to India. Still got a scar from it. I also remember a lot of pus. Grim.

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:29 pm

JamieH wrote:Unrelated, but Jon Jones has been arrested on a felony hit and run charge, drugs were round in the car, he's been stripped of his title and Cormier is taking his place in the fight. Wow... what a disaster..

UFC trying to detract from boxing's weekend in the limelight. Some things never change :lol:
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:28 am

I think that's the reason they're doing it now. Good week to bury bad news sort of thing.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:22 am

JamieH wrote:
AnnihiSlateR wrote:But yeah, 'birthday beats' were hell for those with birthdays in the weeks that followed.

In my school it didn't matter if it was your birthday or not, people went around bunching each other where they got the BCG anyway. I somehow managed to escape getting mine hit, don't really know how I managed that :lol:

They went fucking hard on it at my place. Threatening expelling and shit if you punched it.

I remember it not being as bad as everyone was saying, but still hurting like a bitch.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:19 am

Jobdone wrote:
JamieH wrote:
AnnihiSlateR wrote:But yeah, 'birthday beats' were hell for those with birthdays in the weeks that followed.

They went fucking hard on it at my place. Threatening expelling and shit if you punched it.

I remember it not being as bad as everyone was saying, but still hurting like a bitch.

I thought it was horrible but then again I have a massive needle phobia. This certainly didn't help. Worst part is, I have a partial natural immunity but not quite enough so I had to get the jab :(

There was a couple of years that apparently even though people got the BCG, it didn't work properly anyway. Pretty sure one of those was the year I got it.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Like measles, polio and other diseases it was virtually eradicated when I was a kid. Then everyone stopped getting their jabs and it came back. :rolleyes
Immigration has played a part in its return:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19383200

But let's pretend that's not true :-D
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:51 pm

Metalchemyst wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Like measles, polio and other diseases it was virtually eradicated when I was a kid. Then everyone stopped getting their jabs and it came back. :rolleyes
Immigration has played a part in its return:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19383200

But let's pretend that's not true :-D

There's still very few cases in the UK compared to the horror stories of epidemics that were circulating a few years back. The biggie was measles and that was because of all that idiotic MMR shite.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat May 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Bleedin' Hell they don't half sling them out of hospitals quick nowadays. A few years back you would of been kept in for a few days after having a baby.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp