A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Noodle
I am the Law!

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby Noodle » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:17 pm

That's no problem. I can deliver them to you and you can keep them under your desk. You can even take them home with you. Keeping them forever may also be an option I'm willing to offer you. "may also" might be substituted for "guaranteed".
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Does anyone know if the closing down sale is still on for HMV?
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:14 pm

There's been a discussion recently on the melodeon.net forum about keys and whether or not a tune in one key can make you feel different to another key, almost as if each key has its own personality.

I wonder if anyone on here, musicians particularly, has had any thoughts on it or if they think there's any merit to the theory.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Noodle wrote:There's been a discussion recently on the melodeon.net forum about keys and whether or not a tune in one key can make you feel different to another key, almost as if each key has its own personality.

I wonder if anyone on here, musicians particularly, has had any thoughts on it or if they think there's any merit to the theory.

It's interesting. When I was writing with Underwater Gunfight, we were joking about how most of our songs were in E or G, or 'the funky scales' as we liked to call them. We had a few in other keys, but they were always the best sounding ones.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:40 pm

Moonburp wrote:
Noodle wrote:There's been a discussion recently on the melodeon.net forum about keys and whether or not a tune in one key can make you feel different to another key, almost as if each key has its own personality.

It's interesting. When I was writing with Underwater Gunfight, we were joking about how most of our songs were in E or G, or 'the funky scales' as we liked to call them. We had a few in other keys, but they were always the best sounding ones.

I find it depends on the skill of the writer. E and G are quite natural keys to play in on a guitar due to standard tuning. Anything outside of that can be tricky to improvise over without knowing exactly what you're doing, and a lot of the time it'll just end up sounding 'wrong' and you fall back to Emin/Gmaj, or you 'force' the song into that key (which might end up having some accidentals because you haven't transposed the scale properly) and it ends up sounding like shite prog.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:48 pm

siliconfury wrote:
Moonburp wrote:

I find it depends on the skill of the writer. E and G are quite natural keys to play in on a guitar due to standard tuning. Anything outside of that can be tricky to improvise over without knowing exactly what you're doing, and a lot of the time it'll just end up sounding 'wrong' and you fall back to Emin/Gmaj, or you 'force' the song into that key (which might end up having some accidentals because you haven't transposed the scale properly) and it ends up sounding like shite prog.

Oi, who're you calling 'shite prog'? :P

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Haha, I don't really listen to much prog at all, can't really name many bands outside Dream Theater. A lot of the time when I come across it it's directionless, dissonant, jarring and sometimes genuinely sounds like the band do not know anything about time or key signatures. But that's just me, I like my music like I like my movies - simple, predictable, likeable and not much thought needed.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Oh, prog can be pretty wank. I thought you were calling Underwater Gunfight shite prog, when we're clearly pretentious funk.

On a completely unrelated note, I've been reading Trainspotting and all of my internal monologues are in a Leith accent.

Purple n Batty
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Purple n Batty » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Noodle wrote:That's no problem. I can deliver them to you and you can keep them under your desk. You can even take them home with you. Keeping them forever may also be an option I'm willing to offer you. "may also" might be substituted for "guaranted".

Hey they're not yours to give away, plus you'd miss them, you know you would.

Fjar, if you really are serious, I may need to take you up on that offer sometime if my old neighbour who's moved a few streets away can't call in on them.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm quite happy with it

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Purple n Batty wrote:
Noodle wrote:That's no problem. I can deliver them to you and you can keep them under your desk. You can even take them home with you. Keeping them forever may also be an option I'm willing to offer you. "may also" might be substituted for "guaranted".

Hey they're not yours to give away, plus you'd miss them, you know you would.

Fjar, if you really are serious, I may need to take you up on that offer sometime if my old neighbour who's moved a few streets away can't call in on them.

Sure, if you run out of people closer, I wouldn't say no to checking up on some kitties if you need us to. :)
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Does anyone know of any decent, free mac programs, sort of dived into a Macbook Pro...
Alex. wrote:This record better be as fit as Bezerker's ex's sister or I'm gonna be pissed.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:50 pm

What kind of programs?

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm

xBERSERKERx wrote:Does anyone know of any decent, free mac programs, sort of dived into a Macbook Pro...

Bootcamp.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:37 pm

thehairyone wrote:
xBERSERKERx wrote:Does anyone know of any decent, free mac programs, sort of dived into a Macbook Pro...

Bootcamp.

This

Also Gimp, UnRarX and buy the Microsoft Office pack.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Depends what you want to do surely...I use mine mainly for Logic and Virtual Machines, just about to dive back into developing too, so trying to find a decent text editor as notepad++ isn't on Mac :(