The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

Conservative
6%
Labour
41%
Liberal Democrat
24%
SNP
No votes
Brexit
6%
Green
12%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
No votes
Won't Vote
12%

Total votes: 17

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Re: The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Postby thehairyone » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:56 pm

If you follow regs and are sensible and understand fire safety your home won't catch fire at random. Practically you need to soak stuff in fire retardant. This seriously inhibits the spread of fire. Certainly long enough to get out.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:59 pm

Tet wrote:If anyone here is still deluded enough to think that voting Green might be a good idea, here's another classic interview from Natalie Bennett, hot on the heels of her car crash interview with Andrew Neil on Sunday Politics:

http://www.lbc.co.uk/incredibly-awkward-interview-with-natalie-bennett-105384

Double post. But this was an interesting read when it happened and when people began digging in to stuff (although I have no idea on the dates of bits of quoted documentation)

http://www.reddit.com/r/iama/comments/2 ... _party_of/

Nichrome
Consort of the Beast

Postby Nichrome » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:11 pm

If the Greens want negative growth, they're going to have to start managing the UK population downwards, including implementing a one child policy and drastically reducing immigration.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:14 pm

*Almost* replied to the troll there :lol:
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:32 pm

I think the Greens need to embrace technology and buy a calculator.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:35 pm

siliconfury wrote:
The fire safety thing I can't actually remember what their solution was...

Ensure there's no survivours and nationalise the cremation industry? :lol:

Green's seem to be good coalition partners rather than a stand alone party, you need someone else to rein in their ideas otherwise were going to a destitute/highly flammable country with a non-stop fire service that's so eco-friendly we could save the world.... if it wasn't for the other 200 odd countries in the world :lol:

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:42 pm

Normally, a fuck-up like Bennett's interview yesterday would put me right off...but when I look at the other parties I could vote for:

Tory
Tory Lite (Labour)
Tory Classic (UKIP)
Tory-Mate (Lib Dem)

...the Greens STILL look less cunty than the competition.

In this constituency, I don't have the option of voting for TUSC and not voting (or voting for a party who's only actual policy is "We're the protest vote! Vote for us so we can keep our deposit, yeah?") is tantamount to a vote for "more of the same shit please", so I'm probably still going to end up voting Green*. The way I see it, they've got fuck-all chance of coming into any sort of power (they've said they'd go for "Confidence and Supply" rather than selling out and forming a coalition) but a few more Green MPs in the House of Commons would probably be a very good thing, even if they're crap at sums.

*Unless the Church of Militant Elvis party perform VERY well at the hustings.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:58 pm

I think ther biggest problem at the moment is an incompetent leader, as opposed to their actual policies being off.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:53 am

Danroush wrote:I think ther biggest problem at the moment is an incompetent leader, as opposed to their actual policies being off.

I think their biggest problem is that no matter what they do no one seems to see beyond their eco- message; even with Bennett's blunder people are focusing on her terrible interview skills and poor maths rather than what she was (terribly) trying to convey, e.g. they aspire (key word being aspire since they'll probably end up doing a Lib Dem and realizing they can't afford it) to build half a million new houses.

Don't get me wrong, most of their policies are born from their environmental principles but it's like UKIP; they could espouse they could save everyone a thousand Pounds but people will automatically assume it's through some eco-policy or anti-EU tirade rather than look at the details (quite hard in Bennett's case if she can't get the message across in an interview).

Personally while I do see they have policies beyond the environment I wouldn't vote for them as I can see a major party coming along, throwing some small concessions to them concerning the environment and the Green's doing a Clegg. Cynical I know but I'm not exactly thrilled at their manifesto either.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:57 am

Danroush wrote:I think ther biggest problem at the moment is an incompetent leader, as opposed to their actual policies being off.

From skimming their manifesto I'd say it's a mix of both. She obviously believes in the flagship policies, even if her background reading/preparedness isn't the best. Additionally some of the policies aren't very easy to defend in a live interview without some sort of aids.

From reading I've come to view Greens and UKIP as two sides of the same coin. Both have strong ideas they fully believe in. Both are aimed at specific portions of the population. Both have policies I can agree with and would support. Both balance the other to a degree. Both will have to make serious compromises to get any sort of power (as did the Lib Dems). Both are fucking nuts overall and I would hate to see a majority government of them.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:14 am

thehairyone wrote:

From skimming their manifesto I'd say it's a mix of both. She obviously believes in the flagship policies, even if her background reading/preparedness isn't the best. Additionally some of the policies aren't very easy to defend in a live interview without some sort of aids.

From reading I've come to view Greens and UKIP as two sides of the same coin. Both have strong ideas they fully believe in. Both are aimed at specific portions of the population. Both have policies I can agree with and would support. Both balance the other to a degree. Both will have to make serious compromises to get any sort of power (as did the Lib Dems). Both are fucking nuts overall and I would hate to see a majority government of them.

The problem with that for UKIP and the Greens is that they've tied themselves so close to those policies any concessions is near suicidal; the Lib Dem's got away with it to an extent as people focused more on Clegg as a lightning rod rather than specific policies (apart from tuition fees do you hear people complaining about Lib Dem concessions on specific policies rather than them rubber stamping Tory ideas?). Bennett hasn't got the public attention enough to deflect any failings onto her rather than her party and Farage is pretty much UKIP himself (I'd suspect apart from the fleeting "oh this UKIP candidate is racist", Reckless and Carlswell people don't seem to know any other UKIP members by and large) so any concessions damage the parties not the figureheads.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 am

I don't really agree about both being two sides of the same coin, unless of course you're referring to the coin as one side being social progression and the other side being social regression.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:52 am

You see, thats where I see the two of them ultimately being social regression...

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:58 pm

To be fair most political parties seem regressive for the majority

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:54 am

I sometimes think that the sort of people who run for parliament are the last people that should be wielding political power. They're often self-serving cunts who are in it for the power trip and financial perks rather than caring about the well-being of the electorate. An alternative would be some sort of jury service system, where people are chosen on a similar basis to join a "jury" making a decision on a particular issue. Probably wouldn't work, it's just an idea.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!