The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

Conservative
6%
Labour
39%
Liberal Democrat
28%
SNP
No votes
Brexit
6%
Green
11%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
No votes
Won't Vote
11%

Total votes: 18

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:58 pm

If May has to give them a ministerial post for their 10 seats then let's hope it's not health, culture, environment or energy. They'll fuck up anything they touch but those are the departments you especially don't want fundamentalist christians running.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Bizza
Paster of Muppets

Postby Bizza » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Tories throwing in with that lot after all the shit that got thrown at Corbyn for his supposed terrorist links. Fucking hypocrites. Can't wait to see how the Daily Mail spin this.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19, '21, '22, '23.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:16 pm

May has really got to stop banging on about stability, it was laughable before but now it's just ridiculous.

One brightside of all this that hopefully a fox hunting vote is off the table now.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:49 pm

I would like to congratulate Theresa May on a quite remarkable achievement. I hate her today more than I did yesterday and before. Really didn't think that was possible!!

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:33 pm

DUP in power... what a fucking nightmare. The thought of what May has promised those loonies is quite frightening.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:36 pm

How long do we give this 'agreement' between the Tories and DUP?

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Probably quite a while, the DUP have backed nearly every decision that the Conservatives have made over the last few years anyway, particularly as concerns austerity. They are also fully behind a hard brexit thanks to some tactical large party donations, and are even more corrupt (look up the DUP's renewable heating incentive scandal to see what I mean.) They're a match made in hell.

Where it may fall down is if the DUP demand a return to direct rule for Northern Ireland. Since the assembly election a few months ago Sinn Fein are only one seat behind DUP as the largest party, and they no longer have then numbers required to veto legislation on gay marriage etc. So since the election they've been intentionally dragging their feet and sabotaging the negotiations intended to get the assembly back to work, in the hope that devolution will end and we will be returned to direct rule from Whitehall.

The only thing is, under direct rule the courts would eventually have to rule that women in NI must have the same access to abortion as in England and Wales, gay marriage would available here etc. Not at all what the DUP want to happen.

So the way I see it the DUP's support will probably be stringent on having the Tories allowing them to continue keeping Northern Ireland as their own personal fiefdom separate from the law of the land in the UK, yet suspending the assembly so as to not allow Sinn Fein and the other parties to democratically overrule them.

This exposes the biggest irony of modern unionism: the claim of loyalty to Britain and soon it seems to be part of their government, but also the desire to be exempt from those pesky modern British laws like equal rights. So while the DUP are going into this probably thinking that they can coax the Tories into rolling back on gay marriage and restricting abortion etc. the opposite will probably be true. The weight of public opinion against the DUP's backwardness will hopefully force Northern Ireland into line legally with the rest of the UK, into the 20th century.

Interesting times ahead anyway.
Upcoming Gigs

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:59 pm

Who has suddenly voted labour on the forum after the election?

:rofl:

As far as I'm concerned it's the same old thing no matter who won.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:06 am

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Probably quite a while, the DUP have backed nearly every decision that the Conservatives have made over the last few years anyway, particularly as concerns austerity. They are also fully behind a hard brexit thanks to some tactical large party donations, and are even more corrupt (look up the DUP's renewable heating incentive scandal to see what I mean.) They're a match made in hell.

Where it may fall down is if the DUP demand a return to direct rule for Northern Ireland. Since the assembly election a few months ago Sinn Fein are only one seat behind DUP as the largest party, and they no longer have then numbers required to veto legislation on gay marriage etc. So since the election they've been intentionally dragging their feet and sabotaging the negotiations intended to get the assembly back to work, in the hope that devolution will end and we will be returned to direct rule from Whitehall.

The only thing is, under direct rule the courts would eventually have to rule that women in NI must have the same access to abortion as in England and Wales, gay marriage would available here etc. Not at all what the DUP want to happen.

So the way I see it the DUP's support will probably be stringent on having the Tories allowing them to continue keeping Northern Ireland as their own personal fiefdom separate from the law of the land in the UK, yet suspending the assembly so as to not allow Sinn Fein and the other parties to democratically overrule them.

This exposes the biggest irony of modern unionism: the claim of loyalty to Britain and soon it seems to be part of their government, but also the desire to be exempt from those pesky modern British laws like equal rights. So while the DUP are going into this probably thinking that they can coax the Tories into rolling back on gay marriage and restricting abortion etc. the opposite will probably be true. The weight of public opinion against the DUP's backwardness will hopefully force Northern Ireland into line legally with the rest of the UK, into the 20th century.

Interesting times ahead anyway.

I hope you're right. I am genuinely afraid of the DUP sending this country back into the dark ages.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:43 pm

One good thing that's come from this election is the reduction in SNP seats. Sturgeon needed bringing down a peg.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Here's some handy flashcards/Top Trumps for those who want to acquaint yourself with the characters who may be extracting concessions from Theresa May in the very near future.

https://www.facebook.com/maimkillrepeat/posts/10158923977220220
Upcoming Gigs

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Have to snigger at the Tories who played the election as a "vote Labour and be beholden to the SNP" and come out of it beholden to the DUP.

So do we change the poll to one of "how long can May hold on?"

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Why would it fail? With the support of the DUP, it would need a Conservative back bench revolt to fail to pass. And while I'm quite sure there are plenty of back benchers that want to see May gone, they're also quite aware that stabbing her in the back quite so soon would lead to a Corbyn government. No, I suspect she'll be allowed to continue until things have settled down a bit. Expect a leadership challenge (and almost certainly a new election) in 6-8 months.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:29 pm

I agree with Tet.

The losers are seeming a bit desperate now.

Emily Thornberry saying that May is a "Squatter" when she was one of the ones that propped up the Gordon Brown Government. She was also the one that took the piss out of working class people who watched football, drank beer and had a "white van".
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:56 am

Yeah, with the DUP onside they have enough votes to carry the Queen's Speech.

I'm not sure how long May lasts. There's some talk of the EU delaying negotiations by a year. If that happens, I could see it being prior to the amended kick-off - so that there's no unneeded distractions from the negotiation process. If not... then they may let her stay to oversee the whole thing.