The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

Conservative
6%
Labour
39%
Liberal Democrat
28%
SNP
No votes
Brexit
6%
Green
11%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
No votes
Won't Vote
11%

Total votes: 18

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon May 04, 2015 8:52 pm

Danroush wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:All the "commandments" are all a bit vague though.

"An NHS with time to care", " Controls on immigration". What the hell do they even mean? Whatever they want it to mean.

"A country where the next generation can do better than the last". What at? Tiddlewinks? :lol:

Time to care is a specific thing though, it's referring to the 2.5bn funding they've been mentioning.

Funding and caring are two separate things though. To me it implies staff caring for patients, aren't they supposed to do that anyway? By and large the staff do care.

Why can't they just speak English and say "2.5 billion extra spending on the NHS"? Because they can't guarantee it, which makes the whole thing seem hollow.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Mon May 04, 2015 9:41 pm

But they have been saying that anyway, "Time to care" is a name given for the specific way in which they intend to spend it, not just vague political phrasing.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:30 pm

Danroush wrote:But they have been saying that anyway, "Time to care" is a name given for the specific way in which they intend to spend it, not just vague political phrasing.

It is vague political phrasing. Although they've said it's 2.5 billion quid on "time to care" do you know how they're going to administer it?

It's like saying "i'm going to spend £1000 on improving my house", for all you know I could have spent £1000 on a lamp in my lounge because I think it improves my house, yet I imagine you would of thought it would of been spent on maintenance etc.

So 2.5 billion on "time to care" could mean they spend a lot on contracts, bureaucracy, outsourcing to outside agencies who'll eat through that money quicker than you throw at them or a multiple of other things.

At the end of the day it's a good gesture, but as with all things political good gestures rarely make good outcomes.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue May 05, 2015 9:29 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:UKIP are more likely to put a big sign saying "Fuck Off" on the White Cliffs of Dover. :lol:

They'll probably get Colin Furze to set up his giant metal arse/pulse jet again too.

https://youtu.be/7Ydv9Ef-99I
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu May 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Danroush wrote:But they have been saying that anyway, "Time to care" is a name given for the specific way in which they intend to spend it, not just vague political phrasing.

I was completely unaware of that, and I'd imagine most of the people seeing it will also be unaware of it. Thus it's a bit of a failure, because as far as I was concerned, it was just vague political phrasing.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:28 pm

So did anyone vote after all this discussion then?

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu May 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Nah. That means going to the Polling Station and I can't be arsed. But I live in one of the safest seats in the country so I doubt my vote will be of any real importance.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 pm

Same as the above. Sylvia Hermon will retain North Down as an independent which I have no problem with as despite disagreeing with her on the matter of the union she's fairly socially progressive, hates the tories and is very good at constituency matters. It'll be a slimmer majority than her landslide last time seeing as the DUP are fielding a candidate, but I reckon she'll still win it comfortably.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu May 07, 2015 12:52 pm

According to this my constituency is the 16th safest in the country. Just not going to happen. Maria Eagle seems to be OK though so I can live with that.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/orderedseats.html

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Thu May 07, 2015 2:44 pm

I DONE A VOTE! 7, to be precise.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu May 07, 2015 3:07 pm

The wife's running for the Lib-Dems in the local elections, so I've voted for her.
Because I'd quite like to continue breathing.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu May 07, 2015 3:22 pm

No none option?

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu May 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:According to this my constituency is the 16th safest in the country. Just not going to happen. Maria Eagle seems to be OK though so I can live with that.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/orderedseats.html

If you add in NI constituencies yours would be 18th, with West Belfast being 5th at 70.6% and North Down at 17th with 63.3%. With numbers like that it would have to be something massive to see a change.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu May 07, 2015 3:34 pm

Looking at the history I'm surprised how Conservative my area was until fairly recently. :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Garston_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

one rode to asa bay
Denim Demon

Postby one rode to asa bay » Thu May 07, 2015 3:53 pm

The BBC have a little game trying to explain hung parliaments by getting you to form a coalition by adding various parties' seats to either Labour or the Tories. There evidently hasn't been much thought put into it after that as I managed to get Labour a majority with the help of the Lib-Dems along with Sinn Féin and DUP...
UtopianBlaster7 wrote:theres always so much shite plays these sorts of fest "ribbet ribbet vaginal death ribbet ribbet gore"

Andy Hall wrote:yeah but she likes arseholes, literally