The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

Conservative
6%
Labour
39%
Liberal Democrat
28%
SNP
No votes
Brexit
6%
Green
11%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
No votes
Won't Vote
11%

Total votes: 18

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Re: The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Postby keera_envenomed » Fri May 08, 2015 10:40 am

Wiping the smug smile off Farage's face is almost worth the broken electoral system.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Fri May 08, 2015 10:47 am

*Almost*

5 Million votes ending up as 2 seats is pretty darn ridiculous.

Also note that Labour have gained half a million votes since 2010 but lost 25 or so seats...
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri May 08, 2015 10:58 am

Skippy wrote:The system seems so heavily weighed in the Tories favour, since Attlee we've had...2(?) elected Labour Prime Ministers?

Yep just two, but Wilson led them to election victory twice (i.e. first won in '64, lost to the Heath-led Tories in 1970 and beat them again in '74)
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 am

VirginInvader wrote:So after all that fuss, nothing really changes unless you're a jock. And nobody gives a toss about that mob anyway. So perhaps now we can focus on the important news story of the day ie. the VE day commemoration.

Nothing will change for us either. For all the snp have claimed they aim to provide a voice for Scotland in Westminster, all they want is another referendum and more power for themselves. I doubt any of them or at least not many of them will ever be seen in westminster

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri May 08, 2015 11:58 am

Hopefully now that the result is known, the political bullshit that's swamped every news site for the past two months can fuck off and we can have some real news again.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Fri May 08, 2015 12:04 pm

UKIP up 9.5% on last time so they have reason for optimism. Although once the EU membership issue is settled their balloon might deflate.

houston4044 wrote:This election shows both why we need a different voting system...and also why we won't get another voting system gah
Would a change to PR not be in Labour's interest now?
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri May 08, 2015 12:35 pm

WorMzy wrote:Hopefully now that the result is known, the political bullshit that's swamped every news site for the past two months can fuck off and we can have some real news again.

Oh man I know right. The future of the country? I just wanna know about how that bird off the only way is essex has changed her vagina.
Last edited by Jobdone on Fri May 08, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri May 08, 2015 12:51 pm

Aye, at least that'd be interesting to read than Clegg's red lines and Farage's trip to the pub, and breaking news -- one candidate said a rude word at someone.

Election's done, baby's popped, let's move on to something interesting.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Fri May 08, 2015 1:35 pm

Metalchemyst wrote:UKIP up 9.5% on last time so they have reason for optimism. Although once the EU membership issue is settled their balloon might deflate.

houston4044 wrote:This election shows both why we need a different voting system...and also why we won't get another voting system gah

PR would just weaken Labour further. A more representative system would take away the voters who feel that Labour were the only alternative to the Tories even if they didn't necessarily agree with their policies.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Fri May 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Jobdone wrote:Oh man I know right. The future of the country? I just wanna know about how that bird off the only way is essex has changed her vagina.

:lol:
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri May 08, 2015 2:15 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
Metalchemyst wrote:UKIP up 9.5% on last time so they have reason for optimism. Although once the EU membership issue is settled their balloon might deflate.

PR would just weaken Labour further. A more representative system would take away the voters who feel that Labour were the only alternative to the Tories even if they didn't necessarily agree with their policies.

It would also take away the voters who see the Tories as the only alternative to labour. I think it would hurt those 2 parties equally

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:19 pm

It would bring in all the people who won't vote because it "doesn't count" in some constituencies and will allow people to stop tactical voting and actually vote for what they want, rather than what they feel they have to.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri May 08, 2015 2:24 pm

I have actually never voted for the party I agree with most, because they have zero chance of winning anything. I voted labour this time because it was them or the SNP, and even UKIP had more policies I agreed with than the SNP, hidden away among some of the bad stuff

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri May 08, 2015 2:39 pm

houston4044 wrote:I just can't believe the Tories won... regardless of Labour, who thought the Torie's were a good idea? I honestly can't understand their appeal...

The joys of opposing viewpoints. FWIW, I feel much the same about Labour.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri May 08, 2015 3:19 pm

In the last few days there seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what PR actually is, or at least the Single Transferable Vote system which is the one likely to be used if (when?) voting system reform actually happens here. There's so much "oh under PR Labour would have got x amount of seats" but it's really not the case. There is a system called Party List which gives a nearly perfect number of seats based on percentage of the national vote, but it doesn't get used in regional or council elections in the UK because there is no constituency representation with it. It also makes it impossible for any independents or parties who can't campaign nationally to get elected.

So the system wouldn't be bang on proportional, but it would be a lot more proportional than the current First Past The Post, and it would help Labour because of the likelihood of them getting second preference votes from other parties.

I did a bit of number crunching to give an example. Under STV the 5 constituencies in Aberdeenshire would likely become 1 constituency with 5 seats, and yesterday across the 5 of them there was 233,331 votes cast.

(233,331/5+1)+1=38,889 votes needed to be elected.

Using yesterdays votes we can see how first preference votes would be cast.

115,483 SNP
48,619 Conservative
32,148 Labour
31,962 Liberal Democrat
3255 UKIP/BNP
1849 Green
486 Independents

So on the first round of counting SNP's first candidate and the Conservative candidate are elected. The surplus SNP votes are transferred to those voters' 2nd preference, which most likely would be SNP's second candidate. Some of the Tory votes might get transferred to UKIP but barely any would to SNP, Labour or Lib Dems so lets ignore those.

On the second count the SNP's second candidate (now with 85,594 votes) is carried and the majority of the surplus pass to their third candidate. I know some of those might go to Labour or Lib Dems but as long as no more than 1184 of the surplus don't go to the 3rd SNP candidate then they will be elected on the third count.

On the 4th count as no one has enough votes to be carried the candidates with the least votes will be eliminated in order and their votes transferred to second preferences til either someone has enough or there is only one candidate left i.e. Labour. So rather than what happened yesterday where 5 SNP candidates were elected, and contrary to how people think the system would work there would have been 3 SNP, 1 Tory and 1 Labour MP elected there.

It's maybe not the best example to show how STV would regain Labour seats in Scotland as they would scrape through in Aberdeenshire going by yesterday's votes, but overall in Scotland under STV I estimate the 59 seats would have gone 30 SNP, 4 Conservative and 15 Labour.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire