The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

Conservative
6%
Labour
39%
Liberal Democrat
28%
SNP
No votes
Brexit
6%
Green
11%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
No votes
Won't Vote
11%

Total votes: 18

Tet
Denim Demon

Re: The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Postby Tet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 am

All three major parties have positions with which I fundamentally disagree and find unpalatable. I'll probably vote LibDem as they're the best of a bad bunch. Not that it matters. Due to our shitty electoral system, my vote won't count. Again.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:20 am

Jobdone wrote:the only whingeing I've seen is because May's reportedly going to refuse debates

That's one of the few areas where I think she's absolutely in the right.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:01 am

It's interesting which parties you end up aligned with one sites like I Side With and Vote for Policies.

On the former, I come out as Labour (with Green, SNP and Lib Dem very closely behind). On the latter, I get 90% Green and 10% Lib Dem.

So, basically, I'm voting for one of Labour, Lib Dem or Greens. Maybe the Dems due to them having the hardest stance against Brexit. That said, my ward is a safe Labour seat currently held by (the actually quite good) Louise Haigh. She will no doubt win again, and my vote is actually more one of solidarity for whichever party gets it.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 am

I think Dawn Butler this morning summed up Labour in 2017...

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm

If Ken Clarke is standing again for this parliament then my vote will be a waste. He did announce he wouldn't stand for the next election last time, but I'm not sure he expected another so soon...

I suspect Rushcliffe will remain blue whatever, but if it's a new candidate it'll be interesting to see how the results differ.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Andy (Dr Sin)
Consort of the Beast

Postby Andy (Dr Sin) » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Can't see anything other than a big Tory win. Hopefully this is the end of Commrade Corbyn.

Be interested to see how UKIP get on. I don't think they'll fade away. They came second in the Stoke by election, and that was with weeks of media onslaught directed at Nuttall, they can't donthat in an Election, there just isn't the time. So I reckon they'll surprise people, they'll pick up a few seats.

Worrying times for Labour, I live in the Northwest, I have yet to meet someone who's voting Labour. Worrying signs for Labour indeed.
Where's my old bloody account gone?!

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Aye. I live locally to you. ;)

The problem we have is the extreme Left. We thought we were getting rid of Anderson.

Now he wants to be an MP. :rolleyes:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:22 am

Andy (Dr Sin) wrote: Be interested to see how UKIP get on. I don't think they'll fade away. They came second in the Stoke by election, and that was with weeks of media onslaught directed at Nuttall, they can't donthat in an Election, there just isn't the time. So I reckon they'll surprise people, they'll pick up a few seats.

But as the last election showed, they have pockets of support everywhere but not enough to actually win a seat.

Andy (Dr Sin)
Consort of the Beast

Postby Andy (Dr Sin) » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:39 am

houston4044 wrote:
Andy (Dr Sin) wrote: Be interested to see how UKIP get on. I don't think they'll fade away. They came second in the Stoke by election, and that was with weeks of media onslaught directed at Nuttall, they can't donthat in an Election, there just isn't the time. So I reckon they'll surprise people, they'll pick up a few seats.

But as the last election showed, they have pockets of support everywhere but not enough to actually win a seat.

That was very much the case last time, but this time is different. This times there's a group of people who have only ever voted for Labour, but will never vote for a Corbyn led labour, but they'd also never dream of voting for the Tories. So that leaves in reality, the Lib Dems and UKIP. And considering it's the old Labour vote that voted for Brexit, there is no way they'd vote for Dim Tim, so that leaves them with UKIP.

Smerphy
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Smerphy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Comrade Corbyn and Dim Tim? What's next Crooked Hillary and Lyin Ted? :rolleyes:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Isn't it Comedy Corbyn?

Or Calamity Corbyn? :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Andy (Dr Sin)
Consort of the Beast

Postby Andy (Dr Sin) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:56 am

Dim Tim is fitting.

Spouting bollocks all over the news, but Dim Tim is forgetting about his own constituency. They're not very happy with him.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Yep.

Not a good idea to be anti nuclear when a lot of the people in your consistency relies on nuclear power for employment. Especially voting against Trident renewal when the submarines are built in Barrow. :lol:

JPMC
Powermetal Child

Postby JPMC » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 am

Andy (Dr Sin) wrote:That was very much the case last time, but this time is different. This times there's a group of people who have only ever voted for Labour, but will never vote for a Corbyn led labour, but they'd also never dream of voting for the Tories. So that leaves in reality, the Lib Dems and UKIP. And considering it's the old Labour vote that voted for Brexit, there is no way they'd vote for Dim Tim, so that leaves them with UKIP.

This is what I'm wondering. I'm wondering if Theresa has had enough of the mud slinging aimed at her and thought, "Hmmm, if I end up in a coalition with the lib dems then I can say I no longer have a manifesto for Brexit and they can share the blame?"

At the end of the day, there will be economic instability for years post Brexit and plenty ammunition for Labour to throw at the previous (read, current) Tory party. After this parliament, it's likely the Tories won't see power again for a Blair-lifetime. By going into coalition, May can mitigate that as well as having another party leader to share the target area with.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:51 am

Coalition?

The Tories will win with a landside. Even with the usual error factor in the polls then they are looking at 400 odd seats, Labour with 150 and the SNP with 50. Lib Dems won't even get 10. The Conservatives are currently at 1/18 with most bookies and they hardly ever get it wrong.

Then the problem is Corbyn is like a limpet and will cling on for the next decade until he pops his clogs. Labour's finished as a political force. They've already lost Scotland which used to guarantee them 50 odd seats.