The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

Conservative
6%
Labour
39%
Liberal Democrat
28%
SNP
No votes
Brexit
6%
Green
11%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
No votes
Won't Vote
11%

Total votes: 18

Fjar
Denim Demon

Re: Scottish Independence thread

Postby Fjar » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:42 am

Smerphy wrote:
siliconfury wrote:It'll actually make their first general election really interesting.

I'll be voting SNP at the first few, once we've got settled in I'll be supporting the Greens.

You point aside, this is one of the things that the No crowd (especially in England) are conveniently forgetting. I can see it now, as soon as an independent Scotland runs into a little teething trouble (as any major move like this is bound to), the world will pounce on it and be all "HAHAHAHA WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO. MAKE YOUR BED AND LIE IN IT YOU CUNTS". Anyone expecting independence to run completely smoothly is deluded, as is anyone who cannot reconcile the fact that these things are bound to have sticking points and be successful at the same time. This is the sole factor about this referendum that pisses me off the most.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Smerphy
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Smerphy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Yup, and I'm sure if we get a No there'll be all the Yes supporters ready to pounce on any and all trouble we face, so they can go 'we told you so'.

I think we'll be worse off for the first few years, before we can actually make some progress. It really is annoying with all these No supporters who think it'll go immediately tits up, so what if it does? Independence is permanent, we'll have the rest of time to fix it. :lol:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:47 pm

I can see this turning into quite the clusterfuck no matter which way the vote goes...but you could say that a lot of votes. In the world of politics, a complete and utter farce could be seen as "business as usual".
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:29 pm

If it went the wrong way, I doubt that Cameron would come out of it well. He'll forever go down in history as the man who lost the Union.

Now the Yes campaigners are claiming the BBC is biased. It is the British Broadcasting Corporation so of course they are going to be biased towards Britain. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:16 pm

I just want it to be Thursday so it can all be over and I can get on with my life.

ribbons69
Denim Demon

Postby ribbons69 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:11 am

Smerphy wrote:
siliconfury wrote:It'll actually make their first general election really interesting.

I'll be voting SNP at the first few, once we've got settled in I'll be supporting the Greens.

Say for the first twenty years then? That's equating a few as four or five,and an election every 4 years!
I haven't read all the thread,so apologies if this has already been discussed,my situation is this;
I travel up from Nottingham to Glasgow once or twice a year for gigs,I have neither a passport nor a drivers licence.If the Yes campaign wins will I still be able to get in the country,or should I take my money elsewhere?
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,

we fall to rise

euantehclansman
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby euantehclansman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:19 am

pandimensionalsuffering.bandcamp.com

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:35 am

ribbons69 wrote:...I have neither a passport nor a drivers licence. If the Yes campaign wins will I still be able to get in the country

I doubt you'll be challenged at all, nobody seems to be in Ireland
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Kanwulf
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Kanwulf » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:07 pm

siliconfury wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:...I have neither a passport nor a drivers licence. If the Yes campaign wins will I still be able to get in the country

Yeah, I've travelled freely between Enniskillen (My birth town) and Donegal numerous times without anything needing to be presented. You cross the border and that's it.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:44 pm

Nearly pissed myself laughing when they've just said on the news that even if Scotland votes Yes then it could take over ten years for it to happen. So don't expect to wake up in a different country on Friday. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:00 pm

Thought that was blatantly obvious? The earliest Salmond has said is March 2015, but most folk do know that Sovereignty ain't gonna happen for at least 2 years, min.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:04 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:So don't expect to wake up in a different country on Friday. :lol:

I haven't heard a single person expecting that whatsoever. :?

For someone who has a lot to say about the 'facts' people aren't aware of, you seem to be more misinformed than anyone. :lol:
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Fjar wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:So don't expect to wake up in a different country on Friday. :lol:

I haven't heard a single person expecting that whatsoever. :?

For someone who has a lot to say about the 'facts' people aren't aware of, you seem to be more misinformed than anyone. :lol:

Oh I'm not informed at all. Just a vaguely interested bystander.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:29 pm

siliconfury wrote:

Depends if the English govt want to play to the gallery on the immigration issue: the SNP seem to be more relaxed about it and it will get the right wingers frothing about Johnny Foreigner getting in through the former colony.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Do many illegals get into the UK via Scotland? Never heard much about it.

For all the talk of BBC bias this Kevin Bridges show tonight has been pretty balanced.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire