The Anime Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Kanwulf
Hell Bent for Leather

The Anime Thread

Postby Kanwulf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:45 am

Dunno how popular an anime thread would be on this forums but lets see.

Here is a starter topic. What is your favourite anime? Mine is a toss up between Sailor Moon and Little Busters.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Re: The Anime Thread

Postby WorMzy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:53 am

Probably a toss up between Fate Zero and Steins;Gate. I'm also a fan of Key's anime, Clannad being my favourite.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Kanwulf
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Kanwulf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:09 am

Yeah Key are ace. I think I somewhat ruined Clannad for myself. It was one of the first few anime I watched and I dont think I managed to appreciate it as much as I would have done.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:40 am

Dragon Ball, up until the end of the Cell arc. Everything after that is a bit unbearable. I also loved the original FMA, but have yet to check out Brotherhood.

Topically, I just finished binge-watching Gantz which I've mixed feelings about. The ideas were really interesting, some of its execution was good (for instance, the last two "trips" were brilliant), but then a lot of it was obviously just some 14 year old's wet dream which felt really jarring. Very few of the characters were likable as a result, especially the main guy.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:49 am

Didn't watch anime for a long long time, but I binged on Free! recently and I really enjoyed that. :D
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:03 am

I'm currently watching Sailor Moon (both original and Crystal), Sword Art Online II, and Fate Stay/Night 2014.

Fate's only had one episode so far, so I'll reserve judgement on that.

SOA II has been really good, although I'd have liked a bit more action and a little less conversation. It's been a lot more enjoyable than the Alfhiem arc, but I still think the Aincrad arc was the best.

SM:C has been relatively good so far. The CGI is fucking weird though. It's a little strange how (in contrast to the original) everyone knows who everyone is when they're transformed, and have no problem shouting out their real names in front of enemies. The only people who don't seem to know that Usagi is Sailor Moon are the people at her school. Not even creepy Umino.

I'm up to Sailor Moon S of the original series. I don't remember watching this far as a kid, I think ITV must've stopped showing it after R.
~ Adam Jenson

Kanwulf
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Kanwulf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:19 am

I finished Sailor Moon S then didn't watch the final two because the voice actress for Usagi in the dub was horrible in Sailor Moon S. So I restarted it watching it subbed (which also has 30 odd episodes extra) and got up to Sailor Moon R then the new series came out (Remake, whatever you wanna call it) but I am holding off on that until its over. Or maybe it is over now?

As for SOA, I really enjoyed the first arc. Then the Alfheim arc was ok at best although pretty boring in parts and the brother complex was a little odd but I guess somewhat expected. Is Gun Gale any good?

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:37 pm

then the new series came out (Remake, whatever you wanna call it) but I am holding off on that until its over. Or maybe it is over now?

Sailor Moon Crystal? Nah, that's nowhere near over. :lol:

We're up to episode 7 of 26. And they're only putting out new episodes every first and third Saturday of a month, so we'll not get to the end until next August (I think?). No idea why they've decided to do it like that. I guess they're still working on the later episodes or something. At least they're not going with the Katanagatari release schedule. That was unbearable. :lol:

Gun Gale is what I mean by SOA II. It's pretty good, it's just very heavy with the talking.

EDIT: And yeah, subs ftw. I can't even watch dubs any more, my ears just bleed.
~ Adam Jenson

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Haven't watched anime that often recently.

Remember my favourites being Black Lagoon, One Outs, Wan Piss (Still read the manga of that), Berserk and some other stuff.

Most recent one was Kill La Kill. Entertaining as fuck.

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:14 pm

My top 5 :

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (so much better than the original apparently)
Fairy Tail
Stein's Gate
Code Geass
Soul Eater

Dragon Ball Z is kind of a given.

I also kind of like Attack on Titan and there are still a few I need to start checking out, like Guilty Crown and Sword Art : Online...and Wolf's Rain.

I like anime.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:26 pm

I thought Attack on Titan was brilliant. There a few animes that have had me as hooked as that.

One series I completely forgot to mention that definitely is a firm favourite is Kaiji - all based around the titular gambler finding himself in horrifically elaborate schemes to get himself out of debt. Utterly bizarre, but really enjoyable.

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Now see the anime films are something that I'm largely ignorant about, excluding Studio Gihbli's stuff. I know fuck all there. Any other recommendations?

Also I think the hype for Attack on Titan was a bit too big. It had some excellent stuff going for it...Great visuals, great premise, FANTASTIC music (their intros are the best I've ever heard from a tv show ever) but there seems to be fuck all character development...and too much build up with not enough pay-off. Half of the show is spent just talking about Titans and how they suck. Kind of a drag.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:41 pm

Smindas wrote:One series I completely forgot to mention that definitely is a firm favourite is Kaiji - all based around the titular gambler finding himself in horrifically elaborate schemes to get himself out of debt. Utterly bizarre, but really enjoyable.

Fuck yes, this one is so good.

Similar vein - Akagi. Believe it came from the original Kaiji manga, about a guy who's impossibly good at mahjong. Better than it has any right to be.

Kanwulf
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Kanwulf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:51 pm

Potato-Jim wrote:Now see the anime films are something that I'm largely ignorant about, excluding Studio Gihbli's stuff. I know fuck all there. Any other recommendations?

Also I think the hype for Attack on Titan was a bit too big. It had some excellent stuff going for it...Great visuals, great premise, FANTASTIC music (their intros are the best I've ever heard from a tv show ever) but there seems to be fuck all character development...and too much build up with not enough pay-off. Half of the show is spent just talking about Titans and how they suck. Kind of a drag.

The only anime movie I have seen is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. If you haven't already seen that then I recommend it :yes:

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Jobdone wrote:
Smindas wrote:One series I completely forgot to mention that definitely is a firm favourite is Kaiji - all based around the titular gambler finding himself in horrifically elaborate schemes to get himself out of debt. Utterly bizarre, but really enjoyable.

Fuck yes, this one is so good.

Similar vein - Akagi. Believe it came from the original Kaiji manga, about a guy who's impossibly good at mahjong. Better than it has any right to be.

I've started Akagi twice (admittedly, only the first episode) and I just can't seem to get past the whole mahjong thing. Probably me being a chode, I'll have to give it a proper chance soon, as Kaiji is magnificent. I'll also probably end up rewatching Kaiji at some point too, it's been years.

Another good 'un is the series of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - especially the first series (although even the wankier Stardust Crusaders stuff is pretty ace). Dio is a great villain.